100 gecs is a musical duo consisting of Laura Les and Dylan Brady.
After a chance encounter in St. Louis, the duo started making stuff. People really started taking notice when their debut album 1000 gecs was released. That album turned out to be so influential that it led to an explosion of artists that are part of the Hyperpop movement, not just musically, but visually as well.
- 100 gecs (EP, 2017)
- 1000 gecs (LP, 2019)
- 1000 gecs and the tree of clues (remix LP, 2020)
- Anti-Christmas Song: "sympathy 4 the grinch". It's about stealing Santa's magic bag all because they didn't get what they want.Never gave me a goddamn thing that I want
I was good every day, but he didn't give a fuck
This year, put the top on the back of the truck
Santa's banging on the back of the truck
- Auto-Tune: All their vocals have been electronically processed in one way or another.
- Comedic Sociopathy: The protagonist of "stupid horse" goes downright psychotic over losing a bet in horse racing. They beat up the jockey, steal their phone and their horse, and run away while ranting about how they lost all their money. Despite this, the music has a humorous tone to it.
- Genre Mashup: And how! Listeners from every corner might point out how there are elements of hip hop, industrial, emo, punk, dubstep, and even third-wave ska at one point (just to name a few)...all taken to their sonic extremes.
- Genre Throwback: It's all not for nothing - they do appreciate the stuff they listened to growing up.
- Out-of-Genre Experience: More often than not, they do this within a single song!
- Psychopathic Manchild: The protagonist of "stupid horse" beats up a horse jockey for losing a race and causing the protagonist to lose a bet. The protagonist also steals the horse and rants in a childish way about how they never win their bets.Why am I never getting lucky?
I never have any money!
I never win any money!
- Shout-Out: The cover artwork to the duos self-titled EP depicts a drawing of Gex.