"James Joyce's work entered public domain. Shouldn't be long before someone writes A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Zombie."
The latest trend in the world of professional Fan Fiction.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a leader in possession of a sufficient fandom must be in want of followers — at least, so it has proven with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, starting an epidemic among public domain classics that currently shows no signs of waning.
Current Literary Mash Ups include:
- A Christmas Boner — which is a self-admitted Affectionate Parody of the genre
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter— The first to get The Film of the Book
- Android Karenina
- Emma and the Werewolves
- I Am Scrooge
- Jane Slayre
- Little Women and Werewolves
- Mansfield Park and Mummies
- The Meowmorphosis
- Mr Darcy, Vampyre
- Moby-Dick the Whale Shaped Deep One
- Northanger Abbey and Angels and Dragons
- Pride and Platypus
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies—The Trope Maker
- Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter
- Romeo and Juliet and Vampires—surprisingly un-Twilight-flavored.
- Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
- The War of the Worlds Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies
- Wuthering Bites—Now they're just being redundant.
- In Brazil, there was a standalone and four in a collection - amusingly, three* are adaptations of Machado de Assis.
- Undead Memories of Brás Cubas*
- On the collection, The Alienist Mutant Hunter*, Dom Casmurro* and the Flying Saucers, Escrava Isaura and the Vampire and Senhora, The Witch.