- "Hidden death! Unmasked terror! In a new kung fu style!"
Masked Avengers is a 1981 Shaw Brothers martial arts film directed by Chang Cheh and starring Phillip Kwok, Lu Feng, Chiang Sheng, Chu Ko, Chin Siu-Ho and Wang Li.
The Masked Gang are terrorizing the countryside by killing wantonly. A group of martial artists are sent to take them down.
This film contains examples of:
- Arch-Enemy: Number One of the Masked Gang has Gao Yi, a former member who quit out of disgust and now opposes him.
- Big Bad: Lin Yung Chi leads the Masked Gang.
- Blade on a Stick: The Masked Gang's standard weapon is a trident.
- Booby Trap: The Masked Gang's lair is full of them.
- Defector from Decadence: Gao was originally the Number Two of the gang, but he quit when Ling had a girl gang-raped.
- Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting: Every major character demonstrates some martial arts ability.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Chen's final fate
- I Never Said It Was Poison: How Gao reveals Number Two's identity to the others
- Malevolent Masked Men: The Masked Gang got their name by wearing monster masks.
- The Mole: Liang is really Number Two of the Masked Gang.
- Non-Indicative Name: The guys in the masks aren't the ones doing the avenging. They're the ones having vengeance wrought upon them.
- Professional Killer: The Masked Gang slay people for money.
- The Sociopath: Lin Yung Chi started an assassins' guild despite not needing the money, and one time decided to have a woman raped by his men for no real reason.