After the American Civil War, brothers Frank and Jesse James, along with Cole, Bob and Jim Younger and Archie Clement will create a gang to help their war ravaged home, stop the railroad and do battle against the Pinkertons. To some they were heroes, while to others nothing but cold-blooded murderers.
Frank and Jesse provides examples of:
- Artistic License – History:
- The James house was a tiny one-story building, not the two story house shown in the film.
- There exists no record of Archie Clements stuttering, he also didn't survive long after the war.
- When Jesse tried to surrender to the Union authorities, he was shot and almost died. Unlike in the film were he takes the oath and goes home.
- Bury Your Disabled: Archie Samuels, Jesse's little brother.
- Disabled Snarker: A-A-Archie at times.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Some of the gang during the Northfield robbery and escape.
- A Father to His Men: What Jesse makes William "Bloody Bill" Anderson, out to be.
- Mama Bear: You better not mess with Zerelda James's sons, husband or property.
- Railroad Baron: The man (along with Governor Crittendon), who wants the James Gang exterminated.
- Pinkerton Detective: THE Alan Pinkerton, plus Detective Whitcher and a host of nameless Mooks.
- Train Job: The gang robs their first train this way. They board and pretend to be passengers.