Danganronpa Disparity Between the Truth and Lies is a currently ongoing series by RioA which features sixteen students in a high school called Reigning Academy of Ultimates. These sixteen students are trapped inside this school by Monokuma and in order to get out one must murder another and escape the class trial without being caught.
The main character of this story is Minori Watanabe, the Ultimate Pseudologist. However, it seems like his talent gives him a bit of a bad reputation and brings him in a bad light.
This Danganronpa fanfic contains examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: It seems like some people call Minori 'Minnie'. Haruko is called 'Ko' because he wants to be called Ko, but nonetheless it is still a cute nickname. Amyto also seems to call Sagiso 'Sagi', and Kaniza calls Nezumi 'Nezzy'.
- Anyone Can Die: Well, it's a given considering the situation the students are trapped in.
- Big Bad: It's obviously Monokuma and the mastermind.
- Central Theme: Truth vs. Lies.
- This theme is obvious when it comes to investigations/trials, the truth needing to be unfold to figure out who the murderer is and how a murder occurred.
- The theme of truth vs. lies does not only apply to the trials, but to the characters most of all. For an obvious example, Minori is the Ultimate Pseudologist and Kakuma hates liars. There are also more discreet examples such as Fuwari having lied about her talent, Ko lying about his backstory, and Amyto having lied about her personality. To put it simply, all of the characters fit the theme of the story to a T.
- Clear Their Name: Well, since this story is obviously a Danganronpa story, names must be cleared in order for Minori to find the true culprit of each case.
- Darker and Edgier: Fearfully so. The theme of the story is Truth vs. Lies, and although it is quite a used concept now, the morality of the story is set at a dangerously gray one.
- Deadly Game: Well, it is a killing game.
- Evidence Scavenger Hunt: Well, given that this is Danganronpa, this is a given.
- Gray and Gray Morality: Even more so than the actual Danganronpa games themselves, as noted in who exactly are the actual killers and how a murder plays out.
- In Chapter 1, the killer of Ko was revealed to be Asami, however Kamui was also an accomplice. So when Asami was murdered, the fact that Kamui was still an accomplice caused people to ostracize him even when Kamui and Asami killed Ko to prevent the time limit from running down.
- This is even more apparent in Chapter 2 where Minori and the others are arguing whether Amyto is the killer or if Rin is the killer.
- Murder Mystery: The main genre of the story.
- Ship Tease: Well, it's a given, with the amount of characters in the story. The most notable ones would be Minori and Sagiso, Nezumi and Kaniza, etc.
- The Ace: Everyone is this as they are an 'Ultimate' in something.
- Unwitting Test Subject: Everyone can be considered this.
Chapter 1 - An Undesirable Beginning
Tropes applying to chapter 1 specifically.
- Break the Cutie: Oh god, this story's first victim and blackened. Not only did Ko die, but it was Asami who killed him!
- Break the Haughty: The accomplice of this case, Kamui. Although Kamui was not the blackened, he was definitely broken from having been the one to help in Ko's death and witness Asami's death. It doesn't help that people shun him for having helped Asami.
- Group Hug: Initiated at the end of the trial.
- The Leader: Asami and Kamui both took this role.
Chapter 2 - Delving Into Misery
Tropes applying to chapter 2 specifically.
- Gray and Gray Morality: Oh god, was it much more apparent here. With Rin having been the one who actually stabbed Fuwari and Amyto being the one who manipulated her into doing so, the killer of this case was not at all apparent. A scrum debate had to take place and even then did Minori and the others almost fall apart because of their decision.
- Mind Rape: This is what the killer did.
- Ship Tease: Kaniza and Nezumi officially became a couple at this chapter.
- The Leader: Minori seemed to have taken this role now.
- Up to Eleven: The entire buildup to the case and the trial itself.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Minori threw this out at the cast for excluding Kamui out of anything they do.
Chapter 3 - Dead Man Walking
Tropes applying to chapter 3 specifically.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: A lot of characters fell under this radar so quickly that you don't even realize it.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Nezumi's, given that he's stripped down to his underwear and tied up to the beanie chair. Also note that Kaniza's naked as well.
- Character Development: Or moreso, the downgrade of characters' good traits and showcase of their flaws. Everyone's flawed side seemed to be more apparent here, especially from Seiga and Minori.
- Darker and Edgier: Even more so than previous chapters. Everyone seems to be going down in a spiral.
- Dissension Remorse: Minori and Sagiso both. It is more obvious in Sagiso, given by how she always looked at Minori after the fight. Minori took a while to feel the need to apologize to her, but he obviously feels guilty. It's a shame that Sagiso ended up losing her trust in him before he could actually apologize though.
- Love Hurts: This chapter is full of it.
- Poor Communication Kills: This helped start Sagiso and Minori's argument.
- What the Hell, Hero?: A lot of the characters seem to do things that emit this reaction from the readers. An example would be Minori and Sagiso's argument to how Seiga treats Fumio.
- This became worse for Seiga during the trial where he continuously pursued Fumio and Minori. He might redeemed himself a bit however when he sacrificed a finger post-execution.
Chapter 4 - Our Poor Subconscious Minds
Tropes applying to chapter 4 specifically.
- Wham Episode: This is especially during the revelation of what happened during the trial especially with Rin and Fumio revealed as spies sent out to stop Monokuma, and that Seiga had been blackmailed into killing Rin.