Peter Benedict "Pete" Holmes (born March 30, 1979) is an American comedian, actor, writer, producer, podcaster, television host, and cartoonist. He began stand-up in 2000. His comedic influences include Conan O'Brien and Sinbad. He has a very big following, through his podcast You Made it Weird, where he and a guest discuss life, careers, and their thoughts on religion and spirituality. He currently stars in Crashing, a comedy series he created, very loosely based on his life.
Tropes associated with Pete Holmes' works include:
- Annoying Laugh: Unlike Jimmy Fallon's Pete's is very much genuine, he is self aware of it, he even used it in part of the plot of an episode in his HBO series.
- Camp Straight: In his comedy, he mentions how people often assume that he's gay, but he's not. He states confidently that he likes vaginal intercourse and standing like this, while adopting a humorously prissy pose.
- Deathas Comedy:
How his " British It " routine goes from his first HBO special Faces and Sounds, how British people respond to awkward conversations by repeating that question as a question. They respond like they are hitting the tennis ball back.American man 1: I don't know if grandma's going to make it through the hot hot summer.American american man 2 : Oh, man. Death, sorry for what your upcoming loss.
American Man: I don't know if grandma's going to make it through the hot hot summer.British Man: She's on the way out , is she?American Man: You know, I'm actually feeling really depressed.British Man: Feeling a bit blue , are you?American Man: You know, i'm actually having suicidal thoughts.British Man: Can't quite take it ,can you?American Man: Maybe I'll jump off a bridgeBritish Man: Scary though, isn't it?American Man: I could shoot myself.British Man: Faster, yeah?American Man: I'm gonna do it tonight.British Man: Cheers.
- The Fundamentalist: Subverted. Even though he was raised very religious and used to be, he was never hateful or homophobic. In college, this exchange happened:(Pete and a friend are in Pete s dorm room.)Pete: Dont use that word "Faggot" in my roomCollege Friend: Dont use that word "Fuck" in my room.Pete: But we are in MY room. (pushes his friend out of the room)
- Jewish Mother: His mother. Shes Lithuanian and is very much like a Jewish or Italian mother.
- Keet: Very much so, as shown by the naming of his first album title "Impregnated with Wonder". Pete loves to laugh and have fun on stage.
- Gentle Giant: Pete is 6 ft 6, but has a joyous, sweet and harmless personality. He states in his comedy that this is the only possible timeline in which he didn't become a youth pastor.
- Manchild: A trait he shares with close friends such as John Mulaney and Mike Birbiglia.
- Two separate friends sent him the same t-shirt - a Dr. Seuss shirt of ''Green Eggs and Ham. He mentions how the first time he got it, he didnt like it. Then, with the second shirt, it was like God telling him, I gave you that goof-goof face, wear the outfit!
- Hes also mentioned he played with action figures until he was 18 and only stopped because of social pressure and his dad making him stop and give them away.
- Power-Up Food: He has a routine where he imagines Hagar from Final Fight going to a doctor for a stomachache and describing how he eats apples and turkey dinners he finds on the street after punching barrels.
- Parental Favoritism: With his mom.
- The Roast: Pete loves being roasted and made fun of by comics. This happened a lot on Anthony Jeselnik's show.Pete: What do a woman's panties and her nail polish have in common?Anthony: You haven't seen neither.