Through the invention of play, our new evolution awaits."
Kojima Productions is a Japanese video game development studio founded by legendary video game designer Hideo Kojima.
Kojima Productions was formed in 2005, shortly after the release of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, as a Konami subsidiary after several Konami studios and subsidiaries were merged together. Kojima Productions had been responsible for nearly all of the games in the Metal Gear series, as well as a few spin-off titles and installments in the Boktai series.
As part of an infamous company restructuring in 2015, Kojima lost his position at Konami and the studio was disbanded a few months before the completion of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. The box art of The Phantom Pain contains no references of Kojima Productions, and the "A Hideo Kojima Game" tagline, standard to all Metal Gear games and most other Kojima releases, was removed before release.
Kojima would eventually reform Kojima Productions in late 2015 as an independent studio and hire several other ex-Konami staff members, such as artist Yoji Shinkawa.note The studio soon signed a deal with Sony to create an action-adventure game for the PlayStation 4 titled Death Stranding.
Games created by Kojima Productions:As Konami:
- Metal Gear: 1987; The original Stealth-Based Game and the first installment in the Metal Gear series, released only in Japan and Europe. (MSX2)
- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake: 1990 (MSX2)
- Snatcher: 1990; A cyberpunk Adventure Game about quelling the threat of the eponymous "Snatchers", androids that kill and take the place of citizens of Neo Kobe City. (MSX2)
- Policenauts: 1994; Another adventure game and Spiritual Successor to Snatcher about a former astronaut policeman-turned Private Investigator. (PC-9801, 3DO, PlayStation, Sega Saturn)
As Konami Computer Entertainment Japan:
- Metal Gear Solid: 1998; The third installment of the Metal Gear series and the first in 3D. Featuring an engrossing storyline in an era where games were still dragging their feet into the plot department, Solid marked a massive shift for not just the direction of the series, but the way stories in video games would be told for years to come. (PlayStation)
- Zone of the Enders: 2001; A fast-paced mecha combat game that's perhaps best known for including the demo disc for Metal Gear Solid 2. (PlayStation 2)
- Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner: 2003 (PlayStation 2)
- Boktai: 2003; An Action RPG revolving around a boy named Django using the power of the sun to fight his enemies. (Game Boy Advance)
- Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
As Kojima Productions (Konami subsidiary)
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater: 2004 (PlayStation 2)
- Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops: 2006 (PSP)
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and Metal Gear Online: 2008 (PlayStation 3)
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: 2009 (PSP)
- Metal Gear Solid V: (PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC)
- Shin Bokura no Taiyō: Gyakushu no Sabata: 2005; The third game in the Boktai series, released only in Japan (Game Boy Advance).
- Lunar Knights: 2007; The fourth game, retitled for its overseas release. (Nintendo DS)
- Metal Gear Ac!d 2: 2005 (PSP)
- Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore: 2006; A stock trading game, released only in Japan. (Nintendo DS)
- Gaitame Baibai Trainer: Kabutore FX: 2009 (Nintendo DS)
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: 2010; A co-production with Mercury Stream. (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC)
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: 2013; Kojima Productions provided the story and supervised this hack and slash spin-off of the Metal Gear series, in a collaboration with PlatinumGames. (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC)
- P.T.: 2014; A demo (Playable Teaser) for the cancelled Silent Hills. (PlayStation 4)
As an independent studio:
- Death Stranding: 2019; The team's first game as an independent studio. (PlayStation 4)
- Death Stranding 2 (Working title)
- Pressure-Sensitive Interface: Games from this developer tend to make use of the pressure sensitivity of the PlayStation 2's joysticks in various mechanics.