Hi and Lois is an American newspaper comic begun in 1954. It centralizes on Hiram and Lois Flagston, a suburban family with several children: Chip, Dot, Ditto and Trixie. It was first written by Beetle Bailey creator Mort Walker and drawn by Hägar the Horrible creator Dik Browne; following Dik's death in 1989, his son, Chance, took over drawing, with Mort's sons Brian and Greg taking over on writing.
- Aerith and Bob: Their names aren't that far-fetched, save for "Ditto."
- The Alcoholic: Thirsty Thurston.
- Comic-Book Time: Chip started out as an eight-year-old, but has been a teenager for quite some time. Dot and Ditto have aged slightly as well. And Trixie wasn't born until a few years after the strip started.
- Honest John's Dealership: Lois is usually a decent, honest woman. But in her profession as a real estate saleswoman, she stretches the truth as much as anyone else in the business.
- Imaginary Friend: Subverted with Trixie, who has long, reflected conversations with The Sunbeam. Not a Sunbeam. The Sunbeam.
- Long Runner: Started in 1954 and hasn't stopped.
- Long-Runner Tech Marches On
- Meaningful Name: Hi and Lois ("high and low"); oldest son Chip ("chip off the old block"); baby Trixie ("full of tricks"); younger children Dot and Ditto ("ditto" means "copy of", which either refers to his twin sister or his father — Ditto's real name is Hiram Jr); boozehound neighbor Thirsty Thurston.
- Medium Awareness: This is one possible explanation for the November 10th, 2018 strip, where Ditto refers to Beetle Bailey as a "cartoon character". As noted under Spin-Off below, Beetle is Ditto's uncle.
Given the lack of context, it is also possible that there is a cartoon in their universe based on the real Beetle, which would be Recursive Canon instead.
- Name and Name
- Poster-Gallery Bedroom: The 2/23/13 strip shows Chip's bedroom to have a Cubs pennant and posters of The Who, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. As one commentator pointed out, these are not exactly bands contemporary teenagers are big on.
- Recursive Canon: The other possible interpretation of the November 10th, 2018 strip. (See Medium Awareness above.)
- Shout-Out: Rosalyn has a cameo as Dot and Ditto's babysitter in the 10/25/2014 strip.
- Spin-Off: The Flagstons first appeared in Beetle Bailey. Lois is Beetle's sister.
- There was a Crossover to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Hi and Lois in 1994, with Beetle visiting the Flagstons for a week on furlough.
- Theme Twin Naming: Don't twins have enough identity issues without being named "Ditto"?
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Played Straight with the titular couple in earlier years, being downplayed more recently.
- The 60th anniversary strip showed how Lois morphed from the stereotypical 1950s-60s bombshell housewife to the more homely yet still attractive mother, with the late 80s-early 90s becoming the turning point (mainly because of Dik Browne's death).