Along the way, Regina encounters threats from not only the undead, but from other people and her own personal troubles. She eventually finds an ally in a soldier known as Operator.
Rags is a 7-issue mini-series published by Antarctic Press.
The comic contains the following tropes:
- Beware the Living: Youd be forgiven for forgetting about the zombies due to the series concentring on the conflicts created by human survivors.
- Bittersweet Ending: One bordering on No Ending. Regina saves herself and Operator from being killed by a group of soldiers and survivors who betrayed them (while also finding some decent clothes). Her and Operator end up as Fire-Forged Friends. Yet theyre still stuck in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Granted, its one with less asshole survivors to deal with.
- Deliberately Monochrome: Played with. In a curious twist, pre-zombie outbreak flashbacks are in full color, whereas the present-day parts of the story are mostly in greyscale, barring a few exceptions like important characters who are coloured in.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Operator is never called by his actual name.
- Fat Bastard: Regina comes across a camp of survivors. Among them is an overweight woman who shows nothing but detain for her.
- Fiery Redhead: A justified example. Reginas bad temper stems from her trauma from being a soldier, who also just so happens to be ginger.
- Full-Frontal Assault: Being naked doesnt stop Regina from kicking ass.
- Half the Woman She Used to Be: In a flashback, her friend of Reginas is caught in an explosion, leaving her with nothing below the waist.
- Mugging the Monster:
- A hipster attempts to assault Regina, a trained solider. She turns the tables and start handing him a beating. Unfortunately, the mans buddy stops her from winning, resulting in the hipster stealing her engagement ring and smugly getting away.
- A straighter example happens in the last issue. While Regina and Operator are held captive by a group of soldiers and survivors, Regina slips away and gets herself armed before raging a one woman war against her captors.
- Ms. Fanservice: You get to see Regina, a well-built woman, naked for most of the comic. However, as the story goes on, this becomes Fan Disservice as shes revealed to be a troubled woman who only ended up undressed in the first place because she was having a mental breakdown.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Regina doesnt enjoy being naked/in only her underwear.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Much of the comic focuses on Reginas struggle with PTSD.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Regina possesses both qualities. Some scenes emphasize her green eyes by having them glow.
- Stalker with a Crush: Regina gets one in the Riley, a young man who keeps following her around.
- Undressing the Unconscious: At the end of issue 6, Regina and Operator are knocked out, only to wake later naked and restrained.
- Youthful Freckles: Regina has freckles all over her body.
- Zombie Apocalypse: One cause by a supposed terrorist attack, though the identity of the perpetrators is left unanswered.