Peculia is a comic series written and drawn by Richard Sala. It is a spin-off of his original 12-issue series Evil Eye. Basically it tells of the misadventures of the title character Peculia, a barefooted waif who has a knack for getting into some rather morbid situations. Usually involving some form of monster, cultists or murderers.
Combined with Sala's artwork and his penchant for macabre storytelling, it is a very interesting read to mystery and monster lovers alike. Along with the issues in Evil Eye, there a self titled book and a original graphic novel (Pictured) Peculia and the Groon Grove Vampires.
- Anyone Can Die: Well save for Peculia and her short list of recurring characters. Otherwise any new characters she runs into doesn't have a high chance of surviving.
- Big Brother Is Watching: The mysterious Obscurus whose taken an interest in Peculia.
- Creepy Child: One issue had Peculia run into a young neighbor of hers who overly cheery. The girl invites her to her house where Peculia finds the remains of the girl's parents. Without even dropping her nice tone, the girl admits she was the one who killed them. On yeah did I mention this girl can wield a shotgun too and her house sits on the edge of a cliff?
- Does Not Like Shoes: Peculia originally wore shoes, but in the second story she spends the night at an inn, and takes her shoes off to go to bed. When she gets up to raid the fridge in the middle of the night, the inn gets attacked by Death, who chases her outside. After she defeats Death, she is abruptly "rescued" by a robotic Obscurus duplicate and carried off before she can go back inside for her shoes. She continues to go barefoot in every story after this, and she is wealthy enough to have her own butler, so she could definitely afford to buy a new pair of shoes if she wanted to, although given her extremely indifferent personality it's hard to say whether she prefers going barefoot or whether she just doesn't care if she has shoes or not. After all, nobody else cares. This is a Richard Sala work, so permanently barefoot females are the norm here.
- Fanservice: If there any cute girls around, they sometimes end up in, shall we say, compromising positions.
- James Bondage: Happens every now and then.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Despite her dainty figure, Peculia can defend herself when prompted.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Peculia herself again. She's as odd as she is innocent.
- Red Shirt: You can pretty much tell whose gonna meet a bad end in these stories.
- Weirdness Magnet: Seriously Peculia just tries to go through the days as normal as possible, but just seems to get into these situations without even trying.
- Widget Series
- Zombie Apocalypse: In one story, a experiment gone wrong rises zombies from a graveyard. Save the least, the experimenters quickly become snacks.
- Big Damn Heroes: The Gypsy woman from the beginning of the story.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Hawthorne Tree.
- Enemy Rising Behind: One of the sitters is left in a nursery and seems to lose track of her charge. Say charge floats behind her without being noticed before grabbing the sitter, lifting her off her feet and feeding on her.
- Evil Costume Switch: After the sitters turn, they switch to flowing nightgowns
- The Family That Slays Together: Nicola's family.
- No-Sell: Nicola uses her powers on the sitters to bewitch them for some "fun" before feeding. Peculia oddly enough isn't affected much to Nicola's curiosity.
- Obviously Evil: Nicola from her manner of dress and speech.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Nicola can apparently go out into sun as long as she has her sunglasses and hat on. Also a certain tree is quite deadly to vampires.
- Sacrificial Lion: The babysitters.
- Spanner in the Works:
- Peculia herself. The sitters needed four people to do the babysitting job and randomly asked Peculia to come along as they were desperate. She unwittingly ends up being the vampires' downfall. If it had been anyone else, the sitters likely would've gone missing without anyone knowing. Granted they still get bitten, killed and turned, but their vampire forms are stopped before they spread more of the vampirism.
- Likewise George He flees the house after seeing the family feed on the babysitters. But since they never stopped him, it allowed him to get help in the form of the gypsy from eariler, who later saves Peculia from the newly vamped babysisters just as they had cornered her.
- Tagalong Kid: George, who was one of the sitter's charges. He survives the events unscathed and it's implied he was the one who found the gypsy that later saves Peculia from the vampirized babysitters.
- Transhuman Treachery: The newly vamped babysitters who Peculia runs into while fleeing from Nicola.Honor It'll be some much better if you don't resist.
Noelle: Only a brief feeling of obliteration, then you will live forever!
Wren: It feels wonderful! Join us!
Noelle: Yes! Join us!
All three: (closing in on Peculia with Noelle and Wren grabbing her) Join us! Join us!
- Undead Child: Two of them.