Twelve Months (Sekai Meisaku Douwa: Mori wa Ikiteiru) is a 1980 fantasy anime movie by Toei Animation, in partnership with Soyuzmultfilm from the Soviet Union.
Twelve Months is the story of an orphaned girl named Anya. When a spoiled princess, who is also orphaned, sees a picture of a galanthus flower (snowdrop), she immediately wants one. However, the galanthus only blooms in spring, in the month of April. It is New Year's Eve and there was no way that such a flower can be found in the middle of the winter. The princess offers a basket of gold to anyone who can bring her a bag of galanthus and Anya's cruel guardian sends her out in a blizzard to find some. There she is saved from freezing to death by twelve spirits, each representing one month of the year, who entrust her with a precious secret.
The film was based on a children's book which was itself based on an old European fairytale.
Twelve Months provides examples of the following tropes:
- Animated Musical: Kinda. Anya sings one song near the beginning of the movie.
- Baleful Polymorph: The mother and the daughter are transformed into dogs at the end of the movie and cursed to stay that way for three years.
- Everyone Calls Her Princess
- Heartwarming Orphan: Anya is an orphan and an absolute selfless sweetheart.
- An Ice Person: The winter months, especially January, come off as this being the personifications of the coldest time of year.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Anya has them.
- Insistent Terminology: In the English dub. Everyone refers to the flowers by their scientific name (galanthus) rather than their much more commonly known name (snowdrop).
- Kick the Dog: Even after Anya gets them the basket of the galanthus flowers, the daughter still steals her ring while she's asleep.
- Marilyn Maneuver: From the back, the princess's dress is lifted in an updraft by the autumn wind, though not enough for anything underneath to be shown.
- Pet the Dog: The mother and daughter do feel a little guilty for sending Anya out in a blizzard to find the flowers. It doesn't last.
- Ring of Power: The Twelve Months give Anya one so she can see them again.
- Royal Brat: The princess, though she does get a little better by the end.
- Spared by the Adaptation: In the original fairytale the mother and daughter are both frozen to death. In this they are turned into dogs.
- Spoiled Brat: The princess and the daughter. The former especially, Anya and the Captain muse it's because she had no one to say no to her.
- Stealth Pun: The horrible mother and daughter get turned into a pair of dogs. Female dogs.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Unlike in the original play, we never find out whether the mother and daughter ever get turned back or not.