Protegent is the name of an antivirus software originating from India. The software itself isn't too well-known outside of India, but Unistal, the company who created Protegent, released several animated ads for it online that notably gained a following outside of the country.
These ads for Protegent feature the antivirus's mascot, Proto, who is quite literally just Whyatt/Super Why but recolored. The ads that were made include a few where Proto suggests Protegent to an adult struggling with some computer-based problem, a few where Proto raps about the benefits of Protegent (which have also been put together as one ad), and one where Proto mentions Protegent's data recovery software to... another Proto, apparently, after the latter's computer crashes.
All of the ads in their original format can be watched on this unofficial Vimeo account.
"I am Proto! Ruining your life with tropes is my motto!":
- AcCENT upon the Wrong SylLABle: Proto's rap has several rhymes that are made by placing an accent on the wrong syllable of the word.
- All-CGI Cartoon: The "oops, my system crashed" ad is entirely CGI-animated.
- Art Shift: The "oops, my system crashed" ad is unique in that it's the only CGI-animated ad out of the entire campaign.
- Catchphrase: "I am Proto, your security is my motto!"
- Captain Ersatz: Proto is a recolor of Whyatt from Super Why!.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: The Protegent rap can be considered the "theme tune", and it's sung by Proto.
- Dull Surprise: The man who resembles Proto reacts to his computer crashing with a surprising lack of emotion.
- Easily Forgiven: All things considered, Raoul gets off pretty easily for looking at "porn" in the middle of class at school.
- Engrish: Some of the lyrics to Proto's rap have their grammar mangled to keep up with the rhythm. For example, one of the lyrics is "With me, there no viruses/Can enter your computer".
- Evil Laugh: In the Protegent rap, Proto sings the lyric "Saving you from your angry boss!", which is followed by a scene where an employee's angry boss does an evil laugh at him.
- GIS Syndrome: One of the ads has a student using a computer in school looking at pictures of what's supposed to be porn, but is just couples kissing. The pictures are pretty obviously taken from Google Images searches.
- Limited Animation: It's pretty obvious from the limited joint movements and similar flaws that the animation doesn't have much of a budget put into it.
- Mascot: The ads feature Protegent's mascot, Proto.
- Milking the Giant Cow: The CGI commercial featuring Proto and the man oddly resembling Proto overuses hand gestures and flourishes.
- Motion Comic: The Antivirus Search Mission is a comic turned into a video.
- Palette Swap: Proto is infamously one of Whyatt.
- Product as Superhero: Proto is a personification of Protegent as a superhero.
- Reused Character Design: Proto's design is used twice for two different characters (Proto himself and a hapless user) in one commercial.
- Stock Sound Effects: The laughing boss is a stock iMovie sound.