- Technically shared by the narrator and Ryoma in Shin Getter Robo: "GETTER EMPEROR CHANGE!" ' The voice that quakes the Universe itself was, indeed, that of Ryoma Nagare.'' "CHANGE GETTER EMPEROR ONE!"
- There's an interesting in-universe example in Angel Beats!. Though the audience has the inkling that the disappearance of characters is not a bad thing, the main cast is completely clueless. Of course, after the events of episode 9, Otonashi muses that maybe disappearing from the world would be for the best... only to realize that Kanade agrees with him. Cue the awkward realization that the Big Bad of the series has been on their side the whole time
- This exchange from Soul Eater, just as Crona is forgiven by Death for furthering the madness that was in Stein. Granted, this series has a lot after the halfway point.
Nygas: Medusa. Just what are you doing here?
Medusa: I'm not looking for a fight. I surrender.
- The manga has the Great Old One of the Book of Eibon calling Death the Kid; a "fragment of Shinigami."
- There's also the last line of Chapter 88, where the Spartoi kids find out that they've been ordered to execute Crona. Considering that the rest of Chapter 88 was a total filler chapter...yeah. Wham Line.
- 108. Dear Lord, 108. Asura reveals that he too is a fragment of Lord Death, effectively making him Kid's OLDER BROTHER.
- Haruhi Suzumiya: "...that's why I'm going to kill you and see how Miss Suzumiya reacts!"
- Vol.7: "Is this what you are looking for?" note
- And from The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: "This is exactly what you wished for."
- Code Geass has a lot.
- Episode 16:
Mao: (to Suzaku) Get your hands off of me, father-killer!
- R2 Episode 5:
Nunnally: Hello? Big brother? Lelouch, is that you. It's me, Nunnally; Can you hear me? I'm coming over there to Area 11 to be the viceroy. Um, is there something wrong? Lelouch, it's Nunnally, your sister!
- R2 Episode 18:
Lelouch: Could that be the weapon Suzaku was talking about? ...Nunnally!
- R2 Episode 22:
- R2 Episode 24:
Nunnally: That's why...I won't close my eyes any longer! (Cue dramatic music change as Nunnally opens her eyes)
Lelouch: Suzaku, you will kill me.
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: "Makoto...Have you been time-leaping?"
- And then soon after: "Would you laugh if I told you I'm from the future?
- Mahou Sensei Negima!
- A complicated one during the Mahora Festival Arc. Each mage has an invocation they must speak before casting, Negi's being "Ras tel ma magi scir magistir." While fighting the girl who jokingly claimed to be his Kid from the Future, well...
Give it up! Your advantage is gone, and someone who can't use magic has no chance against me! Chao:
Can't use magic? I wonder about that. Negi: (Oh, Crap) Chao:
Spellseals, open. Unlock. [Instant Runes]
Last...tale...my magic scir magistir...
- "You may call me a puppet, but the reality is you too are a sad and pitiful puppet, and puppets cannot oppose or defy the puppet master."
- Another one from 324 spoken by Ku-Nel Sanders: "The one who sleeps there, is the Mage of Beginning: The "Lifemaker"
- Great Mazinger:
- GUN×SWORD: "Have you seen a man with a claw? Maybe with a young boy?" "Why, yes. He's right over there."
- Muhyo And Roji: "This is what we've been waiting for." Spoken by Enchu and Rio, together.
- Fullmetal Alchemist:
- Chapter 104, what Father says summarizes the WHAM situation the best:
Father: For me to imprison God within my body required enormous energy. And the citizens of this country provided it for me.
- Also, two chapters previously...
Roy Mustang: I...can't see.
- Even before that: Hawkeye talks with Mrs. Bradley, and learns that Selim is adopted from one of their relatives, Hawkeye asks if Selim is one of Mrs. Bradley tells her, "He's the son of some distant relative of my husband." Hawkeye remembers that King Bradley has no relatives, then encounters Selim and confronts him about what she's learned.
Selim: I am the first homunculus. My name is Pride.
- And before any of these:
Bradley: Just as you have the Ultimate Shield...I have the Ultimate Eye.
- Chapter 97, after it was thought that Wrath was dealt with...
Bradley: Hello everyone. I see that everything has gotten quite out of hand during my absence. I am coming to personally take back control of my country, and put down this coup.
- Long before ANY of those:
- Death Note, in the English translation, sets the record for wham-to-letter ratio with this line:
L (to Light, in person): I am L.
- D.Gray-Man: "What if I told you you'd have to kill someone you love when you become the 14th?" Cross to Allen, with a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming hug thrown in too. And from a Jerkass no less.
- Later on, a seemingly filler arc becomes suddenly dark with two words that have never been so terrifying: "Good Morning."
Tobi: The true power of the sharingan...it belongs to me! Madara Uchiha!
- And maybe the biggest one of all in Chapter 397.
Sasuke: Why would Itachi do such a thing?
Tobi: Don't you get it? He did it... to protect you.
- And one chapter later.
Tobi: It is true that he slaughtered the entire Uchiha clan and then fled the Hidden Leaf Village, but it was his mission to do so. He was ordered by members of the Hidden Leaf.
- In Ch 499:
Kushina: I...was the Kyuubi's previous host...
- Chapter 561: The real Madara just used a ninjutsu to bring down a meteorite, but the combined titanic efforts of O'onoki (the Tsuchikage) and Gaara managed to stop it from falling on everyone. Everyone is relieved.
Madara: Now, how will you deal with the second one, O'onoki?
- In Ch 590:
Itachi: No matter what you become, I will always love you.
- Chapter 599 has the biggest one.
- Perhaps the biggest one of all in Chapter 627 as Sasuke makes his decision:
- Also later on in chapter 631:
Sasuke: Many things happened... but I decided to protect the village, and I will become Hokage.
- A minor one, but still pretty funny:
- In chapter 670:
Hagoromo: You, Naruto. Ashura reincarnated into you.
- Chapter 678:
Wrong again... The will that is in me is — Kaguya's
- Chapter 681:
Black Zetsu: The story of the ninja is a story that existed in order to revive my mother.
- Chapter 692:
Sasuke: But first... I'm going to execute the Five Kages who are still inside the Infinite Tsukuyomi.
- Chapter 698, ending the Final Battle:
Sasuke: [to Naruto] This is...my loss.
- Arguably Durarara!! episode 11:
Mikado: I have neither the power nor wisdom to oppose a foe who won't listen to reason. You won't even give me time to try. And so...I'll rely on numbers!
- From episode 10: I have all the pawns I need
- Also, in the graphic novel when Simon suddenly punches Izaya in the face and says: Have you ever killed people? I have.
- Grave of the Fireflies: After returning from buying food, Seita comes back to a severely ill Setsuko who is delusional and weak. He gives her something to eat and makes dinner, bringing hope that Setsuko would recover. Then, after Seita leaves the scene, leaving Setsuko to lie there with a hunk of melon you think she'd wolf down, he voices over the line: "She never woke up". After that...you pretty much know what happened.
- Tegami Bachi
- Lag sets out on his journey to become a Letter Bee in order to reunite with his mother, as well as Gauche Suede, who had gotten a promotion to go to the capital. When he finally succeeds, he hears this.
Zaji: Your delivery is just as good as the record holder. And seeing how Gauche Suede isn't a Bee anymore, you're pretty much at the top.
- Much later, Lag figures out what exactly is wrong with Gauche.
Lag: Ever since you woke up, the whole time, you've been lying to us. Everything you said about me and Sylvette...did you learn it all from the letter bullet I shot into you? I believed...the real Gauche had returned. I believed it. Sylvette believes it. But no. You're not Gauche! You're Noir!
- After telling Aria about the true nature of the sun, Hodai Franklin begins talking about Gauche.
Hodai: Poor girl. That fellow who was precious to you? His heart...is now part of the light of the world. Yes...He'll never......be whole again!
- Lag's mother delivers a fairly shocking revelation after Lag exposes the "heart" inside her letter.
Anne: My family has a certain duty regarding the artificial sun. It is a great burden, but I must carry it out. It is my fate. Our duty... carries a certain title in Amberground. "The Empress."
- When Zazie and Connor find an imprint left by a large scorpion-like Gaichuu.
Connor: Laphroaig?! That's... the Gaichuu... that stole your parents' hearts!
- When Hinamori finds out Aizen is alive:
I'm sorry. You must have been worried. I'm really sorry. I'm sorry for hurting you so much. There was something I had to do. Thank you, Hinamori. Thank you so much. Goodbye.
- Chapter 147: Vice-Captain Hisagi looks like he's defeated Fifth Seat Ayasegawa and lectures Yumichika that he should give up because there's no possible way for a fifth seat to defeat a vice-captain and dying in such a pointless fashion would be a terrible death for a member of the battle-loving 11th division. If Yumichika didn't hit the Wham Line quota with his reveal that he's only such a low seat by choice, his reveal that he's also hiding the truth about his zanpakutou surely does.
Yumichika: What I show you now is completely confidential. Take a peek at the true power of my zanpakutou!
- Another one from Aizen, explaining that he didn't pull a Face-Heel Turn. He was Evil All Along.
Aizen: The Aizen you knew...never even existed.
- Also, as the Captains and Vizard seem to have taken the upper hand against Aizen:
- As well as:
Will they go back to the way they were if we were to kill Tsukishima
- When Ishida finally rejoins the battle, Ichigo thinks he was attacked by Tsukishima, and wonders whose side he is on. But then Ishida tells Ichigo whom his assailant really was.
Ishida: The one who cut me...is [Ginjou] standing behind you!
- After attacking Ichigo from behind, Ginjo delivers the following line, revealing where his motivations lie.
I didn't become your enemy after being cut by Tsukishima. I let him cut me twice to return back to who I was
. And now... your Fullbring is mine.
- After Ginjou uses Ichigo's stolen fullbring:
Yukio: You said we'd share. [Confirming the other Xcution members were in on the plan from the start.]
- Once Ginjou reveals that the "combat license" the Gotei 13 gave Ichigo was actually used to monitor him and suppress his reiatsu:
Ginjou: You only wanted to believe, didn't you, Ichigo? Let me tell you the identity of the man behind this scheme... Captain of the 13th Division — JUUSHIRO UKITAKE!
- Then in Chapter 477, courtesy of Tsukishima:
Tsukishima: DON'T DIE!! DON'T DIE, GINJOU!!! GINJOU!!!
- Chapter 484 gives us this:
Sasakibe: DON'T USE BANKAI ON THEM!
- Chapter 502 gives us this one:
Haschwald It seems Byakuya Kuchiki has died."
- Subverted; he lived to tell. Barely.
- Chapter 509:
: My... power... isn't... enough... forgive me... please... Yhwach-sama
- Chapter 514:
Yhwach: [to Ichigo] Kirge's Jail was made to seal enemies. But it cannot contain a Quincy.
- Chapter 520:
Shunsui Kyoraku: I'll leave Captain Zaraki to you, Captain Unohana. No...First "Kenpachi" Yachiru Unohana.
- Chapter 521:
Kirio Hikifune: Next is the Phoenix Palace's Nimaiya Ouetsu. He is the man... who gave birth to the Zanpakuto.
- Chapter 537: Easily the biggest one yet, showing a most shocking betrayal.
Yhwach: Welcome, Uryu Ishida.
- From Chapter 540 we have this truly shattering one:
Nimaiya: He [Old Man Zangetsu] is your Quincy power. That man is Yhwach from 1000 years ago.
- Chapter 569, suffice it to say, concludes fantastically:
- Chapter 577, Kenpachi finally unseals his zanpakutou:
Kenpachi: Swallow, Nozarashi.
- Chapter 585, Yhwach informs Ichigo that by returning from the Soul King Palace to the Seireitei while wearing the King's Key as armor, he broke the barrier of the Palace:
Yhwach: Ichigo Kurosaki. The one who will lead us to the light. Let us thank him. Thanks to you...I will be able to invade the Soul King Palace.
- Chapter 590, Mayuri reveals his counter to Giselle having created an army of zombie Soul Reapers:
- Chapter 596, the conclusion to the Mayuri vs. Giselle fight.
Mayuri: Your zombies...will become my zombies. Thank you for your time.
- Chapter 603:
...All the Stern Ritter that are deemed useless will be cut down by the Auswählen
- Chapter 609, explaining the true nature of Yhwach's power:
His Highness has the ability to see all that will happen... And when he knows of your powers... defeating him would be impossible.
He is, after all, "A"... Which represents his powers. "The Almighty."
- Chapter 611, Yhwach seems victorious, and drops an explanation of his origins.
Yhwach: Farewell, Soul King, for I have seen the future... my father.
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
I'll put an end to everything. To all the time this girl was deprived of when I lost her.. and also to the doll I created
to play as my daughter.
- "You want to know something nice? Ever since I made you...every single moment...I've despised you."
- Bakuman。 Chapter 100: "PCP isn't going to get an anime."
- Chapter 76: "I WANT TO QUIT TANTO!"
- In Chapter 46, Azuki tells Mashiro that she’ll hate him if he doesn’t take time off work until he’s discharged from the hospital, but Mashiro, not believing her, refuses. She then apologizes and says "I've been in love with you for eight years, so how could I hate you?", which surprises him, as it is the first time he learns that she had always loved him.
- A subtle one happens in Chapter 122, when Hiramaru's "super-assistant", describing his skills, does so in the same way Nakai did shortly after his introduction, signaling Nakai's return to the series.
- Chapter 135: The work I want to end is...Crownote .
- Chapter 150: "Well, you could say it's my last act of selfishness as editor in chief"
- Chapter 164: "Congratulations. On Tuesday, September 1st at 4, the anime for REVERSI will start."
- Fate/stay night (manga):
Kotomine: What a disappointment though. I expected more from Kiritsugu Emiya's successor.
- This dialogue.
Rider...you saved me? Rider:
Make no mistake. The false contract between us is at an end. I was merely obeying my master's orders. Shinji:
No way! So that means... Sakura:
That's right, Nii-san. I asked Rider to save you
using my final command mantra.
- Shirou's narration after being told that Saber will recover her mana by resting.
"Looking back on it, Tosaka's prediction seems foolish. But at that point in time, how could we have ever imagined... that Saber would not wake up, but would sleep forever?"
- Darker Than Black Season 2: "My Suou is dead!"
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
- School Days, final episode: Makoto has received a text message on his cellphone which just says "sorry," followed by a whole bunch of empty lines that scroll down, leading up to one word: "Sayonara." Cue serious Oh, Crap.
- The manga does this in spectacular fashion in the last chapter.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica:
Kyubey (Episode 6): I never would have thought you capable of throwing your friend off the bridge. That wasn't a sane act, Madoka! note
Kyubey (Episode 6): You people are all the same. I don't get it. Why do you people care so much where your souls are?
Kyubey (Episode 8): In this country they call girls shoujo, and for girls who are growing up to be witches (majo), it's logical to call them "magical girls" (Mahou Shoujo). Sometimes translated as: If girls are what young women are called, doesn't it make sense to call young witches Magical Girls?
Homura (Episode 8): I will not allow your plan to succeed, Kyubey...no, Incubator.
Madoka (Episode 11): Homura...I'm sorry.
- Casshern Sins episode 13: Braiking Boss gives off two Wham Lines.
Seems like your memory is coming back. You were bound to find out sooner or later. Now you can take responsibility for what you've done with this planet. (towards Ohji) Isn't that right, Professor?
There's no need for two Suns. That is why I gave the order... for you to kill Luna.
- Ore Imo manga, chapter 25: "I'M...DEEPLY IN LOVE WITH MY SISTERRRRRR!!" If you've read the novel or seen the anime, you'll know that things are cleared up, but since the manga chapter ends on a Cliff Hanger...
- From Neon Genesis Evangelion, the truth behind the Evangelion's "armor" is revealed:
Ritsuko: They're binders to suppress Eva's natural power. And now she's shedding them. No one can stop Eva.
- From Rebuild of Evangelion. Surprising absolutely nobody, Kaworu shows up at the end of an entire movie of Off the Rails Wham Episodes. Then...
The time has come again
, Shinji Ikari. This time
, I'll make you happy.
- The reveal of the Eva's dark side in Rebuild...
Invert controls. Backdoor code: THE BEAST!
- In the first Rebuild movie, there's the moment where Misato reveals Lilith's body to Shinji. A Wham Line because in previous incarnations she didn't know about the body until Kaji revealed it, and only knew it as Adam until Kaworu arrived. Thus raising questions about Misato's possible connection to Seele in this continuity.
- Hell, the third movie is chock-full of these :
- Earlier, the line that sets the tone of the movie :
- The reveal of why Shinji is hated by everyone :
Ikari Shinji-kun, once Awakened, Eva-01 opened the Door of Guf and became the trigger for Third Impact. Lilin call it Near Third Impact. It was all initiated by you.
- Fuyutsuki gives not one, but two consecutive ones to Shinji :
- Near the end of the movie, the one that signified the destruction of Kaworu and Shinji's plans :
Kaworu: This is odd... Both Spears have morphed into the same shape.
- Going back to the original series, from episode 24, we learn the truth behind the AT Field:
Kaworu: That's right. That's what you Lilin call it. The sacred domain where none may trespass. The light of the soul. Lilin, you know, don't you? That the AT Field is the wall that everyone has in their heart?
- Earlier that episode:
Misato: The Fifth Child...what is he?
Ritsuko: He is probably the last Angel.
- In Mai-Otome, John Smith admits that he can't take on a Materialized Arika, and so calls for help from The Mole.
John Smith: Miss Erstin!
- A Certain Magical Index
- Volume 17:
Third Princess Carissa: Begin the invasion. I now have Curtana Original, the sword that decides the king, within my grasp. This makes me, Carissa, the ruler of the United Kingdom. Anyone that does not want to see the country decay under the rule of the previous pacifist queen, stand up of your own will. To bring about the new United Kingdom, leveling some things will be necessary and some destruction will be necessary.
- New Testament Volume 8:
Othinus: These small fights are such a pain. I think I’ll just end the world.
- New Testament Volume 11:
Kihara Noukan: The esper cyborg Rensa was created to crush the seven Level 5s in case they all rebelled against Academy City at once. My role is similar, but unfortunately, my target is not those homemade espers...Ladylee Tangleroad, Fräulein Kreutune, and Codename Dragon.
Kihara Noukan (to Aleister): Now, how about you use the power I have returned to you. Use it to destroy all those irregularities known as magic.
- In the Mai-HiME manga, Nagi is able to throw his foes into disarray long enough to attempt to escape with the following question.
Nagi: This may be odd for me to ask right now, but how did it taste...when you kissed Mai-chan?
- From Dragon Ball Z:
Raditz: Kakarot... I'm your brother.
- From the next saga:
King Kai: Knock it off! You're all being foolish! You don't know what you're talking about! Goku has been using the Kaioken attack the entire time.
- We have several in the next saga, usually from Trunks, such as:
Trunks: You've miscalculated. Son Goku is not the only Super Saiyan!
Trunks: You die before then. You contract a terrible heart disease and pass away.
Trunks: (revealing his mother is Bulma) She's right over there.
Trunks: What is this thing? I've never seen this android before!
- A notable one in Dragon Ball's Fortunteller Baba arc:
Bulma: How come he knew about Goku's weakness being his tail?
Kame Sen'nin: Because he is Son Goku's dead grandfather... Son Gohan!
- At the very end of the 22nd World Tournament:
Goku: He's dead... Krillin is dead!
- A Crowning Moment of Awesome and infamous line from Adult Gohan:
So hotshot, you want to fight Majin Buu? Gohan: Fight you
? No, I wanna kill you.
- The newly born Super Buu's Establishing Character Moment:
Super Buu: "Time to kill."
(for context, Buu had previously been killing people for fun without any real malice; this new incarnation does it with cold efficiency)
- Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne has two of these:
- From episode 34:
Jeanne: It can't be... Chiaki is Sinbad? And you knew I was Jeanne?
- From episode 41:
Maron: Fin, lend me your powers. Deliver my wish to...
Fin: No, I wont!
- From Miyako in chapter 27 of the manga.
Miyako: The fact that you were Jeanne was obvious to me from the very beginning!
- Magical Project S: "Misao, you're Pixy Misa?"
- Magic Knight Rayearth
Hikaru: Then tell us why you summoned us to Cephiro?
Emeraude: I summoned the Magic Knights to Cephiro... so that you could kill me.
- In One Piece, Kaku gives some very unpleasant news when the Straw Hats ask about the Going Merry.
Kaku: I'm going to give it to you straight. Your ship... can't be fixed! Not even with our skills!
- Another one from Chapter 550:
Sengoku: The truth is...Portgas D. Ace: your father is Gold Roger!
- Whitebeard's Famous Last Words
Whitebeard: One Piece...is real!
- In the Dressrosa arc, Sanji gives some unfortunate news that, by revealing that one assumption the alliance had been operating on is no longer true, reveals that the entire plan is falling apart.
Sanji: Doflamingo never stepped down from the Seven Warlords!
- In chapter 744, we finally get confirmation of something that a huge chunk of the fandom had been hoping was true for almost three years:
Sabo: He was the man that will become the Pirate King... Straw Hat Luffy. He's my younger brother.
- This bit from the end of the Drum Island arc.
Dr. Kureha: Monkey D. Luffy? Just like Gol D. Roger. So it still lives... the Will of D. Chopper is traveling with a very dangerous man.
- Chapter 763: Trafalgar Law reveals his full name in a flashback:
I'm really not supposed to be telling you guys this...it's Trafalgar D. Water Law
- In the Ace Attorney manga, Edgeworth argues that Bobby Wolfe might have burned down the Den of Spiders if he intended to turn himself in or commit suicide, leaving no one to care for his spiders. Phoenix then argues that his friend Thomas Spitzer could have cared for them.
Well then, why don't we ask him? I would like to call my next witness, Thomas Spitzer. (Cue Oh, Crap
from Phoenix as Spitzer testifies for the prosecution
- From Episode 7 of Black★Rock Shooter, this line hit's like a bombshell.
Strength/The Real Koutari Yuu: Your greeting is rather late, Mato Kuroi. I see my Strength has been relying on you... My name is Yuu Koutari. Strength is down here right now, just as you are.
- Poor Poor Lips
- High School DXD
- The very last line of volume 11.
- Earlier in volume 3:
Seeing that even after losing the masters you serve, you devils and followers of God can still fight, huh? Rias:
...What do you mean? Kokabiel:
Fuhaha, fuhahahahahahahahahaha! That’s right! I totally forgot! The truth wasn’t revealed to you lower guys! Then I will tell you. In the war between the three sides, not only the Yondai-Maou but also God died.
- School Rumble. Harima's Anguished Declaration of Love becomes this when he says it to the wrong girl.
- Mirai Nikki. Akise not being able to speak as his throat has been slit revealing to Yukki via a final message on his phone that Yuno comes from an Alternate Universe and has already become god once.
- I"s got one on the last panel of the 45th chapter.
Takezawa: I like her.
- Bokurano. "The robot takes your life force as payment."
- In Episode 16
Kirie: I figured it out. I know who's not contracted. Machi, it's you, right?
- In the manga, this line comes up in the middle of a conversation, from a character who wouldn't have said this in the anime.
Ushiro: I'm not in the contract.
- During Komo's fight in the manga, another Earth's Koyemshi gives some surprising news.
Alt-Koyemshi: Our pilot has run away.
- At the end of Kanji's arc, Kanji realizes who the next pilot is, shocked by the answer. Cut to somebody in Zearth stating "It's me. I'm the next one." It's KANA.
- Pandora Hearts: Retrace LXV is full of them, but this one stands out.
Jack Vessalius: So Glen...why don't you lower that sword...before I kill your cute little servant?
- This line is the first reveal of the fact that Jack has been lying to everyone the entire manga. It only gets worse from there.
- There's also this little tidbit in Retrace LVIII that shows that Leo is not quite spared from the mess of the story as he seems:
Glen Baskerville/Levi: Relax...that thing won't attack you.
- There are several in Retrace LXX as well. For the one below, Jack's whole speech applies, but this line especially:
Jack Vessalius: This body does not belong...to Oz Vessalius.
- And later on in the same chapter, expanding on the Wham Line above, this:
Jack Vessalius: Shall I introduce you to him? This is the chain I formed a contract with. Oz, the B-Rabbit.
- Digimon Xros Wars, episode 52:
Darkknightmon: Why do you think I discovered the Digi Xros? It was so I could absorb you, brother.
- Ai to Yuuki no Pig Girl Tonde Buurin, episode 50:
Karin: I am Super Pig!
- "Oh hai, [adult swim]! Got the results of the test back — I definitely have April Fool's."
- "Toonami faithful, we heard you. 05.26.12 #toonamiisbackbitches"
- For the people who were wondering if a certain show about a certain orange-hued ninja was going to return: "The prodigal son has returned!"
- "The Titans...are...coming."
- Stellvia of the Universe, episode 11:
Yayoi: Please go find Shippon or she'll be destroyed by Ms. Machida!
- Tenchi Muyo!, episode 8:
Washu: I had a child once.
- That's far from a wham line. This is, in episode 6:
Washu: What I think is that's no way to talk to your mother, Ryoko!
- And episode 9:
Sasami: I'm not the real Sasami!
- Same episode, wham correction:
Tsunami: Sasami didn't really die, Princess Ayeka.
- In episode 3 of Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo, where Sorata tells Jin over the phone that he's made up his mind to really leave Sakura Hall instead of just dragging his feet about it. This doesn't sit very well with Mashiro, who overheard the conversation, and plays an important role in episode 4.
- Near the end of Cardcaptor Sakura:
Fujitaka Kinomoto: But then everyone around me fell asleep.
- In Oniisama e..., we have one said by Kaoru towards Fukiko, revealing quite the secret to Nanako and the viewer:
Kaoru: But Rei... She's your younger sister!
- Two, in Kotoura-san's Downer Beginning, as both caused Haruka to cross the Despair Event Horizon:
Kumiko, Haruka's mother:
(Pushes Haruka off on the floor) I should never have given birth to you. Nameless lady
, to Haruka: Are you the one who has been feeding that cat? What a nuisance. I took it to a shelter, so don't ever come here again.
- Girls und Panzer
- In Episode 8, as things look desperate for Oorai during their match against Pravda, Miho says that perhaps, losing may not be such a bad thing, since she made friends and rekindled her love of tanks. She then finds out the stakes are much higher than she thought.
Momo: What are you saying? Our school's gone if we lose!
- In the Little Army manga, after having had a serious fight with Emi, Miho goes to her house to try to reconcile with her, and offer to challenge Maho's team to a tank battle, only to get a cold reception from Emi.
Emi's mother: Such a helpless child... you'll be separated soon, so you should make up.
Miho: Eh? What did you mean?
Emi's mother: I'm sorry, you didn't know about it yet, right? Actually, we are returning to Deutschland next month.
- Also from Little Army, when Maho shifts from a Cool Big Sis to an Ice Queen, and also confirms that she did, as Emi said, take the opportunity to shoot down Emi's sister's team's flag tank when it went to save one of hers.
- In Chapter 10 of the main series manga.
Lady Miho, your current actions in Ooarai... the madam knows all of it. Miho:
I thought so... Kikuyo:
...That I of all people has to inform you about such matters, I'm hesitant, but... In the semifinals... if Lady Miho happens to lose against Pravda High... Lady Miho... the Nishizumi household will... disinherit you
- The World God Only Knows is apparently riddled with this and Wham Episodes:
- For those who previously thought that Keima's capture targets have forgotten, this line from FLAG 115:
Kanon: I haven't forgotten about you, Keima-kun. I remember everything...
- Chihiro's last line to Keima in chapter 155. "I like you."
- The previous line is overshadowed in WHAM-ness in the very next chapter.
Ayumi: I heard you.
- Also in 165...
Chihiro: Please be gentle. It's my first time.
- Chihiro just seems to be a machine for these. As seen in Chapter 181.
Chihiro: Ayumi, did you know? Katsuragi is a lying bastard!
- Ayumi to Keima after the Goddess recapture arc in chapter 192:
Ayumi: Who are you?note
- The second time that Keima tries and fails to save a suicidal girl (thanks to a "Groundhog Day" Loop), he asks her to tell him her name before time resets again. Her answer?
- FLAG 266 gives us two.
- FLAG 267: The final words of the chapter:
Keima: Chihiro... I love you.
- Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi:
- In Saki, this exchange is the first indication of how severe the estrangement between Saki and her older sister Teru is.
- In Chapter 128, Teru makes a surprising reversal of the above.
Awai: Saki Miyanaga... is she your little sister?
Teru: N...Yeah, she's my sister.
- In Saki Shinohayu -dawn of age-, this comes up after a game of mahjong that Shino plays with her mother and uncle.
- Also from Dawn of Age, after Mafuka gives Hayari her hair pins.
Mafuka: I'm getting moved to a hospital in Tokyo, so, you won't be able to see me for a while. Consider it a keepsake.
- From the end of the next chapter.
Mafuka Kasugai, (1988-2037), the mahjong idol, died standing at the end of her final live concert.
- Berserk: "I sacrifice..."
- Murasakiiro No Qualia: Chapter 8
"A call that should have been impossible... yet I recognized the voice who told me that Yukari would die. The person at the other end of the receiver... was me."
- Attack on Titan has had a few, but undoubtedly the shortest line, delivered in the most offhand way, that nonetheless managed to have the hugest impact on the plot, was this one:
Reiner: (gesturing to Bertholdt) I'm the armoured titan and he's the colossal type titan.
- Kill la Kill has several.
- At the end of the eleventh chapter of Satou Kashi no Dangan wa Uchinukenai: "Half an hour passed and then an hour. Umino Mokuzu never showed up.
- Fairy Tail
- Toradora!: Episode 21.
Taiga: I can't stop... loving... Ryuuji...
- Jitsu wa Watashi wa: Shortly after she successfully convinces the girl that she is Asahi's grand-daughter from the future, Rin accidentally calls Akemi Mikan "Granny." Whoops.
- Boku Wa Mari No Naka is about a college aged man who ends up in the body of a teenage girl he admires. 42 chapters in we get this line at the end of a chapter.
Yori: How do you know what Mari said to me? I never told you that!