Pokémon: I Choose You! is the 20th Pokémon movie, revealed on December 14, 2016. Scheduled to be released in Japan on July 15, 2017, not much is known about the movie apart from the fact that it will feature the legendary Ho-Oh and the Kanto region, and harken back to the original series in some way.
Tropes that this movie provides:
- Mythology Gag: Already present in the first preview, considering the nature of the movie.
- Ho-Oh, who appeared in the first episode, has been shown prominently.
- The title of the movie is the title of the first episode of the anime.
- Ash is wearing a slightly modified version of his Indigo League attire. The symbol on his cap is a mix of his Kanto and Alola caps, and the original symbol can be seen on his backpack.
- The trailer music is a remix of "Mezase Pokémon Master", the first Japanese opening.
- Retraux: An odd example, in that the movie returns to the artstyle of the XY saga (which is essentially an evolution of the art style that the series had used from the beginning), rather than going with the unique style of the concurrent Sun & Moon anime.
- Revisiting the Roots: The first trailer is heavily based on the Indigo League season of the anime.