Inside Mari (Boku wa Mari no Naka
) is a Manga by Shuzo Oshimi (author of Aku no Hana
) and tells the story of Isao Komori, a recluse shut-in with no social life whatsoever who spends most of his time playing videogames. He is also in love with a young schoolgirl he usually sees when he goes to the convenience store to buy food, but since he is too shy to talk to her, Isao prefers to stalk her while she is walking home. Then, one day, he suddenly finds himself in the body of Mari Yoshizaki, the very girl he is so fond of stalking.
The story operates as a deconstruction body swap stories in general, by showing that such event, in case it really happened, can be utterly terryfing.
Inside Mari can be read on Crunchyroll
Provides Examples Of:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: And a pretty graphic intepretation at that. It ends with Mari apparently calling Isao.
- Bat Deduction: One of the girls in the school, Yori Kakiguchi, correctly deduces that someone else is inside Mari's body.
- Body Snatcher: Isao is this, but he doesn't really remember how it happened.
- Covert Pervert: Mari is revealed to be this. She was secretly buying porn magazines that were being sold by Isao at a local bookstore.
- Despair Event Horizon: Being kissed by a boy becomes this to Isao/Mari.
- Gender Bender: Deconstructed. The main character is often scared with how different Mari's body is from his. He also feels guilty because, in his mind, he feels like he is stealing Mari's body. This is specially evident when Isao has his "first" period in Mari's body.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: Another trope that is deconstructed thoroughly throughout the story. For the main character, the change is mostly terrifying. He often doesn't know how to act when Mari's friends are around, and is often afraid that he will ruin her social life. This trope is later subverted when it is found that Mari is not occupying Isao's body.
- Jerk Ass: Isao is a hikikkomori who deliberately lies to his family about his life in order keep them financially supporting him. He tells them that he is attending college, but in truth he spends his day playing video games and seldom leaves his home.
- Loser Protagonist: Isao.
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman : Subverted. Isao does not take well the fact that he is in control of Mari's body, and can't even bring himself to look at her intimate parts. He eventually gets to look at Mari's breasts, though.
- School Idol: Mari, prior to her possession by Isao, was one of these. She was a popular, straight A student who was respected by her classmates. There are hints that this might just be a facade she puts in order to interact with others.
- Isao wanted to be this during his High School years, and thought that if he became a model student, people would flock to him. His hopes were shattered when, after becoming a very good student, he found himself lonely and with no friends. This led him to quit school altogether and become a shut-in hikikkomori.
- School Girl Lesbian: Yori feels like this towards Mari. This is also the reason why she holds Isao with utter contempt and yet still decides to help him return to his body.
- Shared Universe: With Aku no Hana.
- Stalker with a Crush: Isao is this at the beginning of the story. This is NOT played for laughs.