...why the hell are you suddenly a Fyarl demon? You just come over up all demon-y this morning? Demon-Giles:
As a matter of fact, I did. Thanks to Ethan Rayne.
It's morning; time for you to wake-up. You're still groggy, but you manage to roll out of bed, same as always. Maybe you feel weird; maybe your bedroom seems out of place somehow, but you're still too tired to think about it. So you stumble to the bathroom, splash some water in your face, blink the sleep from your eyes, look at yourself in the mirror and...
It's not your
face in the mirror! At least, not the face you had last night. Maybe you've switched sexes
; maybe you've become the one thing you hate most
; maybe you've switched bodies with someone
or turned into a giant insect
, but whatever it is, you're not you
anymore. You have been transformed without your knowledge or consent
and it happened while you were sleeping. You don't know how or why it happened; you Just Woke Up That Way
This is extremely common in stories about involuntary shapeshifting, particularly if the writers are trying to shock the audience. Shapeshifting Excludes Clothing
may supplement, to added shock effect. In situations where the source of the transformation is not rapidly explained, this overlaps with Ontological Mystery
open/close all folders
- Freaky Friday (2003), after the characters switch bodies.
- 13 Going on 30
- Watermelon Man, where a white bigot wakes up one morning as guess what color?
- Bruce Almighty: Grace Connelly, girlfriend of the title character, says to her boyfriend, while he eats the breast beckfast ever, that she woke up that morning and felt like her boobs were bigger. Considering her boyfriend had God's powers at the time, they were.
- The King Missile song "Detachable Penis" starts with the lead singer waking up to realize that his penis has disappeared. However, this a surprise for the audience, not for him: It's soon revealed that he can remove it at will and occasionally misplaces it.
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender, Zuko allowed that avatar's bison to go free and seems set up for a Heel-Face Turn. His body suffers a dramatic fever in the process; after collapsing and spending days in bed, he wakes up, goes to the mirror, and discovers his scar gone, his hair shaven and covered in air-bending tattoos. Its just a nightmare, though, but the initial shock is in the spirit of this trope.
- This is the premise behind the French animated series Martin Morning (Martin Matin), as Once an Episode, he wakes up in his bed in the morning to find himself turned into a fantastic and/or legendary being and is forced to go through his day like this, ie: One day he's a wizard, the other day he's a pharaoh, and another day he's a vampire.
- The first two Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games start off with the main character, waking up in another world, having turned into a Pokemon, yet with total amnesia. All s/he knows is that s/he was a human before. This is averted in Gates To Infinity in which the character falls into the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world from the sky.