Spike:...why the hell are you suddenly a Fyarl demon? You just come over up all demon-y this morning?It's morning; time for you to wake-up. You're still groggy, but you manage to roll out of bed, same as always. Maybe you feel weird; maybe your bedroom seems out of place somehow, but you're still too tired to think about it. So you stumble to the bathroom, splash some water in your face, blink the sleep from your eyes, look at yourself in the mirror and... GASP! It's not your face in the mirror! At least, not the face you had last night. Maybe you've switched sexes; maybe you've become the one thing you hate most; maybe you've switched bodies with someone or turned into a giant insect, but whatever it is, you're not you anymore. You have been transformed without your knowledge or consent and it happened while you were sleeping. You don't know how or why it happened; you just woke up that way! This is extremely common in stories about involuntary shapeshifting, particularly if the writers are trying to shock the audience. Shapeshifting Excludes Clothing may supplement, to added shock effect. In situations where the source of the transformation is not rapidly explained, this overlaps with Ontological Mystery. Just don't be surprised if it turns out to be All Just a Dream. Likely also an Oblivious Transformation.
Demon-Giles: As a matter of fact, I did. Thanks to Ethan Rayne.
Demon-Giles: As a matter of fact, I did. Thanks to Ethan Rayne.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Loser Protagonist Isao Komori wakes up in the body of school idol Mari Yosikawa in Inside Mari with no idea how he got there and sets out to determine if it is a "Freaky Friday" Flip or a Grand Theft Me. The truth turns out to be both more prosaic and more appalling. He's a split personality, spawned off when Mari fell in love with a socially outcast female classmate and couldn't reconcile it with the pressure of keeping up appearances.
- Nyotai-ka: Frustrated Dogged Nice Guy turned Internet G.I.R.L. Makoto wakes up female after a goddess turns him into an actual girl to teach him a lesson.
- Freaky Friday (2003), after the characters switch bodies.
- 13 Going on 30
- Watermelon Man, where a white bigot wakes up one morning as guess what color?
- Bruce Almighty: Grace Connelly, girlfriend of the title character, says to her boyfriend, while he eats the breast beckfast ever, that she woke up that morning and felt like her boobs were bigger. Considering her boyfriend had God's powers at the time, they were.
- The canonical example is probably Gregor Samsa in Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis, who wakes up one morning transformed into a giant insect.
- In Orlando: A Biography, the title character's Gender Bender takes place in just such a way, with the notable difference that she is not in the slightest perturbed by it.
- The origin of George Shrinks in the original books. In the animated series he was born that way.
- In the Animorphs book The Familiar, Jake wakes up as an adult in a Bad Future.
- In A Midsummer Night's Dream the clown Bottom wakes up with a donkey head. He doesn't seem to notice in the slightest, and if he does, he takes it surprisingly well.
- In The Girl From The Miracles District, the magic surges that turn people into monsters seem to be more attracted to sleeping people, often resutling in this.
- Elantris begins with Raoden waking up and feeling weird, only for his servant to run away screaming and the man himself looking in the mirror and discovering that he's turned into an Elantrian.
- The episode "Face of the Enemy" on Star Trek: The Next Generation opens with Counselor Troi getting out of bed to find that she's unaccountably become a Romulan.
- Similarly, the Deep Space Nine episode "Second Skin" sees Major Kira wake up to find that she's a Cardassian.
- One episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "A New Man", has this happen to Giles when he gets turned into a demon by Ethan Rayne.
- On Are You Afraid of the Dark?, the main character in The Tale of the Hunted rolls out of bed one morning as a
- In The Prisoner episode "The Schizoid Man", Number Six wakes up to find himself with a new appearance. He is greeted as "Number Twelve" and given the assignment of impersonating Number Six (who has been replaced with an actual impersonator) as part of Number Two's latest head-gaming scheme.
- In the first episode of Quantum Leap Sam wakes up in someone else's body. It's something he's going to have to get used to.
- The King Missile song "Detachable Penis" starts with the lead singer waking up to realize that his penis has disappeared. However, this a surprise for the audience, not for him: It's soon revealed that he can remove it at will and occasionally misplaces it.
- The first two Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games start off with the main character, waking up in another world, having turned into a Pokemon, yet with total amnesia. All s/he knows is that s/he was a human before. This is averted in Gates To Infinity in which the character falls into the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world from the sky.
- The Pokedex entry for Kadabra in Fire Red states: "It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra."
- In Them's Fightin' Herds's Book of Lore , Oleander the Unicorn says the trope name almost exactly when she tries to explain why her normally pure white coat has turned dark, outing her as an user of forbidden Dark Magic.
- In Hometown Story, the village sentient scarecrow remembers being transformed into a scarecrow from something else. Once his initial form is revealed, he goes more into detail about how it happened and the story includes this trope.
- In the world of ARMS, it's apparently possible to wake up one morning with Extendable Arms that you can use to fight in the eponymous tournaments with, which happened to many of the playable characters. Why can this happen? Even in-universe, no one is sure and just cites this trope as the reason.
- Misfile starts with Ash waking up with breasts that weren't there yesterday.
- Things get interesting in Cat Nine when Keith gets home and sees his cat transformed into a cat girl. She's not even aware of her body until pointed out.
- Elliot of El Goonish Shive first experiences his Power Incontinence in this fashion, and later discovers his superheroine form in the same manner.
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender, Zuko allowed that avatar's bison to go free and seems set up for a Heel–Face Turn. His body suffers a dramatic fever in the process; after collapsing and spending days in bed, he wakes up, goes to the mirror, and discovers his scar gone, his hair shaven and covered in air-bending tattoos. Its just a nightmare, though, but the initial shock is in the spirit of this trope.
- This is the premise behind the French animated series Martin Morning (Martin Matin), as Once an Episode, he wakes up in his bed in the morning to find himself turned into a fantastic and/or legendary being and is forced to go through his day like this, ie: One day he's a wizard, the other day he's a pharaoh, and another day he's a vampire.