Nyotai-ka is a comedy ecchi
manga about a guy named Makoto who decided it would be amusing
to troll an online dating site as a G.I.R.L.
. This winds up epically backfiring when a goddess decides to intervene and make him an actual woman.Hilarity Ensues
This series provides examples of:
- A-Cup Angst: Iwanami doesn't exactly have small breasts, but she does show jealousy Makoto as a girl is markedly larger than herself.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Why Makoto became a girl.
- Bishounen: Averted by Makoto, who looks unambiguously male. Iwanami, on the other hand, plays this straight when she turns into a guy.
- Kei looks pretty much exactly the same as Makoto as a girl when he's a guy.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Iwanami can be this to some scary extremes.
- Demonic Possession: Hotarugawa Kei gets this a few times. Mostly from Nanashi, but occasionally also from various deimu. The former just turns him into a girl, the latter does so as well but also ends up turning him into a monster. Possibly a Tsuchigumo.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Nanashi, much to Kei's surprise.
- Failed a Spot Check: Due to the art, it seems Iwanami failed this soon after Makoto came to work as a girl (in a suit wearing sarashi wrappings to disguise being a girl). From the audience perspective, Makoto is clearly shorter as a woman and his face and hair have visibly altered, so her not picking up on him becoming a girl is odd.
- This starts happening to Iwanami after she has her existence thinned out to stay a man until the poison wears off. She starts to worry that eventually Makoto will also stop noticing her.
- For the Lulz: Makoto's whole role in the plot was triggered by his tendencies for this. His transformation was, in part, the result of this trope by a goddess' tendencies towards this.
- Horny Devil: Nanashi and deimu turn Kei into one while possessing him.
- Gender Bender: Of both guy turning into girl and girl turning into guy types.
- Both Makoto and later Iwanami, though only temporarily transform during a moment of intense sexual desire, which causes some rather odd problems, much in the vein of the movie Zerophilia.
- Amusingly enough, Nanashi does this to both Kei and himself while possessing him.
- First Law of Gender-Bending: Makoto eventually becomes fixed as a woman, meaning the world now acknowledges only his female version as though it had always been. The few times he can go back to being a male, aside from Kojima and Iwanami no one can recognize him including his own parents. Overall he's quite happy that way. Kei however manages to get to go back to being a man permanently once Nanashi moves on to hanging out with Nandikesvara. Iwanami eventually stop changing after Kei accidentally removes the drugs that were causing her to transform from her body, though in her case she was naturally a woman.
- Second Law of Gender Bending: Both Makoto and Kei become rather addicted to being women. When Kei first brings up becoming addicted to it, the comic temporarily cuts to Makoto with captions pointing out that he's "A person who's not just addicted, but doesn't even want to go back to the old body."
- God: In this case, an Indian goddess known as Nandikesvara, goddess of wealth and prosperity, the one who grants what she interprets Makoto's wishes to be. She's not evil in her intentions but she does seem to be deriving some entertainment out of the Gender Bender antics Makoto goes through, and she has an odd way of seeing how the end result of her powers affect us humans.
- Nanashi was one as well. Or he may have been a Youkai. During their first meeting Kei points out that possessing someone is something a demon would do, not a god, which proves to be Nanashi's Berserk Button. However, later when Nanashi starts to worry about which is really true, Kei reminds him it doesn't matter as he simply is who he is.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Kei is this toward Makoto, which leads to the deimu taking over.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Kojima seems to not mind being with Makoto, even as a girl. Later, Iwanami starts to feel the same way especially after she turns into a guy.
- I Knew It: Makoto accuses Iwanami using this trope by name of being a lesbian after she takes a marked (at the time platonic) interest in him as a woman. She vehemently denies it. Considering she later makes out with him and even has sex with him as a girl, this is rather ironic.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Kojima eventually steps aside for Iwanami, even helping Makoto patch up his relationship with her after a Not What It Looks Like scene.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Manaka turns back into a man while with Kojima, but suffers performance anxiety.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Kumada had only seen Kei's female form once, but fell in love pretty much immediately. When Kei finds out about it, he tries to convince him to give up on that girl.
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman : Manaka immediately feels herself up after transforming.
- Meaningful Name: Nanashi means no name, as the ex-deity has long since lost his name.
- Meganekko: Iwanami.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: Both played straight and inverted. Though Makoto is more emotionally frail as a girl, he can temporarily change to male when showing self-certainty. So the mind is a plaything of the body, but the body is also a plaything of the mind!
- Moe: Makoto as a girl has a talent for evoking this, often intentionally, and this is frequently lampshaded.
- Omake: Rather goofy 4koma panels at the end of each chapter featuring Nandikesvara in some rather amusing scenarios. Also, she is shown to like playing MMORPG's.
- Also, rather oddly for omakes, they do get referenced in the main story.
- Out of Focus: Makoto and Iwanami get minimal time in the story when it temporarily shifts over to Kei's story.
- Power Perversion Potential: Makoto originally decides to take his transformation in stride and enjoy it. That is, until he learned the exact reasons he acquired it and the downsides it would entail.
- Later Iwanami starts to enjoy her male transformation, especially in the bedroom, and Makoto gets made her almost literal bitch at the end of Volume 2.
- Psycho Lesbian: Mild, Played for Laughs version in Yagami, a friend of Iwanami who is also a doctor. She lusted after Iwanami since their school days and was shot down, but this apparently didn't faze her too much, and she immediately gets a little Cute and Psycho regarding Makoto as a girl, which Iwanami gets rather pissed over.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: A rare legitimate example; Makoto's female form's small physique and good looks (not to mention the pheromones it emits) tends to attract molesters and rapists like moths to a flame. Even Iwanami is a little too pushy when she's a man.
- The Chew Toy: At least part of what happens to Makoto makes him one of these.
- Welcome to My World: Pretty much the whole point of what happens to Makoto, albeit indirectly.
- When A Jerk Loves A Tsundere: Makoto and Iwanami are an outstanding example of this, but unlike most examples where the guy's faults are blown out of proportion and the girl is overly violent, Makoto really can be a total male pig at times and Iwanami is often quite justified in her levels of anger in response to his actions.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Both Iwanami and Kojima are this for Makoto as a girl. Makoto (female) is unable to be this way because he apparently is nowhere near as strong as a girl than as a guy, though the fact he hasn't learned how to compensate most likely justifies this.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Rei Kojima has the look in comparison to Iwanami, but her demeanor is nothing close to this.
- Yandere: Both Iwanami and Kojima have shades of this for Makoto.
- You Can See Me?: While Iwanami never finds out about it, Jouno can see that despite Nandikesvara setting her as a male to the world, he can still tell that she's actually a woman.