Kira receives a strange communication from a Bajoran scholar, who says she has records proving that Kira was held prisoner by the Cardassians at a location Kira is sure she had never been to. Before she can investigate she is abducted and wakes up on Cardassia... with a Cardassian face, and a Cardassian man who insists that he is her father and that she was a deep-cover operative of the Obsidian Order during the Occupation.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: What Ghemor thinks is going on with Kira.
- Blackmail: How Sisko gets Garak to cooperate.Garak: Commander, this is extortion!Sisko: Hmm...yes it is.
- Implausible Deniability: A truly egregious example. When the Defiant is about to be boarded and have its cover blown by a Cardassian ship, Garak drops the holographic overlay they've been using to address the captain:Garak: Gul Benil.Gul Benil: You're not Kobheerians!Garak: Very observant of you. Now turn your ships around.Gul Benil: Excuse me?!Garak: This is an alpha red priority mission, clearance verification 9218-black. By authority of the Central Command, you are ordered to turn your ships around, erase all records of this encounter from your logs, and talk of it to no one! Is that clear?[Gul Benil taps on his computer console]Computer: clearance code verified.Gul Benil: My apologies. I had no idea.Garak: You were doing your duty. End transmission.Sisko: Mr. Garak, I'm impressed.
- Rage Against the Reflection: Kira smashes a mirror once the whole facade drives her to a Despair Event Horizon.
- Tomato in the Mirror: A Downplayed Trope example with Kira as she's told she's just a Cardassian in disguise with false memories.
- Was It All a Lie?: It was... but Kira was sure convinced for a while.