- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Sisko finds out from Mardah some things about Jake he didn't know, and he relishes getting all the juicy details.
- Bittersweet Ending: Odo does what he can to raise the Jem'Hadar to be more humanistic, but there's nothing anyone can do - the Jam'Hadar just can't go against his programming. Odo has to let him go to protect his fellow officers.
- Blood Knight: This episode shows that for the Jem'Hadar, fighting isn't something they do just because their masters tell them to, it's an actual physical need that is instilled in them from birth.
- Hidden Depths: Jake wanted Benjamin to get to know Mardah, but when Benjamin spends time with the two of them he's surprised to learn a few things about Jake he didn't know before, like that he sometimes writes poetry.
- Ms. Fanservice: Mardah. The fact that Jake could even look her in the eye shows Cirroc Lofton's a pretty good actor.
- No Name Given: The Jem'Hadar.
- Out of Focus: Quark really only appears at the beginning.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: The Jem'Hadar are genetically engineered to reach maturity and become battle-ready as quickly as possible.
- Shipper on Deck: O'Brien."Sixteen years old and dating a Dabo girl. Godspeed, Jake."