Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 03 E 07 Civil Defense
Sisko, O'Brien, and Jake accidentally activate an old Cardassian security program, which now thinks the Bajoran slave labor is revolting. As the crew loses control of the station, what could possibly make it worse? Dukat arrives, eager to reclaim the station.
Tropes in this episode include:
- Air Vent Escape: Jake uses an old processing shaft to escape the ore refinery.
- Dissonant Serenity: Dukat strolling about the command center talking while everyone else is hiding under any available cover.
- From Bad to Worse: The entire episode in a nutshell.
- Heroic Fire Rescue: Jake pulls O'Brien out of the burning Jeffries Tube.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Dukat.
- Name One: Quark challenges Odo to name a more devious Ferengi than him. Odo responds with Grand Nagus Zek, Daimon Tye, Quark's brother Rom, his uncle Frin, his cousin Gaila...
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Each time the heroes think they've figured out a solution, the security program thinks it has to get even tougher on the "Bajoran workers."
- Oh, Crap: The look on Dukat's face when he finds out that his security codes have been voided.
- Redshirt: The poor schmuck who gets vaporized by the replicated Death Ray.
- Self-Destruct Mechanism: Part of the security program, and the last problem for Sisko to deal with.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Dukat vs. Garak. Kira and Bashir repeatedly tell them to shut up.
- Odo and Quark also go a few rounds while trapped in the security office.
- The Tape Knew You Would Say That: Dukat's Crazy-Prepared recordings cover just about any contingency. Then it turns out that his boss pulled one on him.
- Worthy Opponent: Quark expresses this sentiment towards Odo, stating that if there were a slave revolt in progress, it's not surprising that the Cardassians would lock Odo in his office: Odo's sense of justice and morality would ensure he joined the fight on the side of the slaves.
- Odo praises Quark for his deviousness, until it turns out that he was just being nice in what seemed like their last few hours of life.