Girl in My Dream
is an online manwa with a different take on the usual TG Transformation Comic
.Ordinary High-School Student
Ji-Hoon is practically delirious with the heady feeling of young romance with his first real girlfriend, shy and reticent Meganekko
Ji-Soo. So delirious, in fact, that he heedlessly walks out in front of a bus on their very first date, leading Ji-Soo to sacrifice her own life pushing him out of the way.
Inconsolable with grief, Ji-Hoon withdraws from his friends until he starts dreaming of a beautiful girl named Yuna who promises that someday they will meet for real. Unfortunately, it's soon apparent that disturbing changes are occurring in Ji-Hoon's body as he dreams - He's slowly becoming female!
. Confronted on this, Yuna eventually reveals the truth: she is a vengeful aspect of Ji-Soo's spirit, intent on stealing Ji-Hoon's body
so she can have a relationship with his best friend, the handsome Ji-Young. Confronted with the fact that he's become fully female, Ji-Hoon's mind retreats, leaving behind a confused amnesiac female personality who calls herself Ji-Hyun. Eventually, Ji-Hoon, Yuna, and Ji-Hyun end up in a three-way battle for control over Ji-Hoon, body and soul.
Has examples of:
- Amnesiac Dissonance
- Attractive Bent-Gender
- Bittersweet Ending: Ji-Hoon is back in control of his body, has a loving and understanding family, and the friendship with Ji-Young remains solid. Yuna and Ji-Hyun are still around, but their appearances are becoming less frequent as Ji-Hoon's memories and sense of self get stronger, and it's implied that, in time, they'll eventually fade away. However, he is still stuck as a girl and he has lost Miya.
- Body Horror: Ji-Hoon doubling over in pain and coughing up blood as he feels his internal organs rearranging and changing to become female.
- First Law of Gender Bending
- Gender Bender
- Grand Theft Me
- Girl of My Dreams: Subverted. Yuna wants Ji-Hoon's body in every sense except the one implied by the trope.
- Heroic BSOD: Ji-Hoon is so traumatized by being betrayed by Yuna and his physical transformation that he withdraws and creates Ji-Hyun as a coping mechanism.
- High School
- If It's You, It's Okay: Miya feels this way towards Ji-Hoon/Hyun.
- Jumping the Gender Barrier: Played with regarding Ji-Young. He acknowledges that Ji-Hyun is beautiful, but also his best friend and not in full control of himself. Yuna is banking on this as part of her plans.
- Loss of Identity: This happens gradually as Ji-Hoon becomes female. Even in the end, he's still permanently a girl.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: the Ji-Hyun personality.
- Manipulative Bitch: Ji-Soo never had any feelings for Ji-Hoon. She just went out with him to try and get closer to Ji-Young. When she dies, she uses him more.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Put on a Bus: Miya leaves the school when her advances towards Ji-Hyun fail, and she believes Ji-Young is romantically involved with her.
- Red Herring
- Second Law of Gender Bending
- Split Personality: Ji-Hyun is one created by Ji-Hoon to cope with his gender change and not be fully taken over by Yuna. She eventually fades away as he has time to mentally come to. Even then, Yuna is still residing in his head and has a tendency to act up.
- Split Personality Merge: Ji-Hyun is an amalgamation of Yuna and Ji-Hoon, with the former's love towards Ji-Young, and the latter's naivete towards being a girl, mixed with near-complete amnesia and childlike maturity levels.
- Third Law of Gender Bending
- Transformation Comic
- Transformation Of The Possessed
- What the Hell, Hero?: As one final effort to bring her boyfriend back, Miya starts molesting Ji-Hyun in the bath, and forces herself on her. Ji-Hyun is very naive and doesn't even know what a lesbian is, or much about sex at all. It doesn't end well.