It's the Best Whatever, Ever!
"Mr. Sun came up and he smiled at me
Said "It's gonna be a good one, just wait and see!"
Jumped out of bed, and I ran outside
Feeling so extra-ecstatified
It's the best day ever! (best day ever)
It's the best day ever! (best day ever)"
A line used in kids' shows, sitcoms, and kids' sitcoms
, at the beginning of the episode, just before Hilarity Ensues
The characters will be discussing whatever the subject of the episode is and someone will say, "This is gonna be the best (whatever) EVER!" Then, everything goes horribly wrong, but of course later they realize that it didn't go SO badly after all. "It really was the best (something) ever!"
Not to be confused with Most Triumphant Example
, which is your Personal Favorite Whatever, Ever. Contrast with Worst Whatever Ever
open/close all folders
Films — Animation
- The Incredibles: After a day that involved fighting an army of mooks, escaping an Island Base on a rocket and taking down a giant robot, Dash shouts, "That was the best vacation ever!"
- Tangled: After she leaves her tower for the first time in her life, Rapunzel finds herself conflicted between guilt over disobeying her "mother" Gothel, and the the sense of liberation over being outside for the first time, resulting in a string of rapid-fire Gilligan Cuts;
I can't believe I did this. (guilty)
I can't believe I did this! Mother would be so furious. (joyous)
That's OK though, I mean what she doesn't know won't kill her. (guilty)
Oh my gosh. This would kill her. (joyous)
This is so fun! (guilty)
I, am a horrible daughter. I'm going back. (joyous)
I am never going back! (guilty)
I am a despicable human being. (joyous) Woo-hoo! Best. Day. Ever!
Films — Live-Action
- The lines "it was the best day ever" and "it was the worst day ever" are used during nearly every day in the movie Thunderpants.
- Barbara Robinson wrote a whole little series of books whose plots depended on this trope: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, The Best Hallowe'en Ever, and The Best School Year Ever. Probably the Trope Codifier.
- Richard Scarry wrote a popular children's book called Best Word Book Ever.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Xander has to attend a Saturday computer class and hears Cordelia does too: "Ooo, did you hear that? An extra day of class AND Cordelia! Throw in a little rectal surgery and it's my best day ever!" (Clearly not his best day ever.)
- Buffy thinks a present Xander got her is the best present ever. The present? A rocket launcher he stole from the local army base to kill a demon.
- This is almost becoming a catch phrase for Richard Castle. He has used the phrase "Best X Ever" on numerous occasions.
- The Doctor points out this trope in the Doctor Who episode "The Impossible Planet":
Oh come on! Did you have to? "No turning back," that's almost as bad as "Nothing could possibly go wrong," or "This is gonna be the best Christmas Walford
's ever had!"
- On Firefly, after Simon and River are kidnapped, Jayne goes through their stuff for valuables and stops a moment to pretend he's reading aloud from Simon's diary:
Jayne: "Dear diary, today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. (turns page) Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
- Hiro and the Comic Book Shop Guy both say "Best. Day. Ever." in a Season 3 episode of Heroes since it was a pretty awesome day for both characters. Hiro teleported himself into a comic book store, and the shop guy realized that Hiro was the guy from their comic books.
- Combined with Worst Whatever Ever in the "Ho Ho Ho Job" episode of Leverage, after it's revealed that Elliot will be spending time as a mall Santa for their con, with Parker as an elf.
Parker: "This is the best case ever!"
Elliot: (Simultaneously) "This is the worst case ever!"
- In one of the "Competitions" episodes of The Smoking Gun Presents: World's Dumbest, the #1 entry came from a game show in which women performed a balancing stunt while a camera provided a clear view of their cleavage. Chuck Nice expressed his feelings with excited clapping and squealing before proclaiming, "It's the best show ever!"
- WCW commentator Tony Schiavone was the master of hyperbole, dubbing a whole bunch of storylines (especially during the later "downer" years) as "the greatest (something) in the history of our sport", no matter how shocking the swerve. He would also do the same with every upcoming episode of Nitro, for years until it shut down in 2001.
- Every year Wrestlemania is typically billed as the greatest or most historic WrestleMania ever, particularly on DVD's released after the fact. After 27 installments and counting this gets harder to believe as time goes on.
- Tiny Tina of Borderlands 2 describes the tea party where she vaporizes with electricity the bandit who betrayed her parents to the Hyperion corporation as the "best tea party ever."
- Used at the ending of Hotel Mario, where Mario, Luigi and Peach address the fourth wall and say "You're the best player ever!" Well, you deserve some kind of recognition for actually playing through the game.
- Dissidia: Final Fantasy/Final Fantasy VIII: "THE GREATEST ATTACK EVER!"
- Zoey Payne of SSX becomes the creator and manager of the event. To her it's the best job ever.
- A GalNet article in the Xtended Game Mod for X3: Terran Conflict details a new sport from the Split Dynasty, where contestants enter a jumpgate race in starfighters - which are fully armed - and lose points every time they don't fire at other racers. When the winner crosses the finish line (and then bails out), explosives planted in each ship detonate after seven seconds. The sheer death toll of the races has caused the Split to declare it "the best sport ever"
- American Dad!
- A Christmas Episode is titled "The Best Christmas Story Never"; another is called "The Most Adequate Christmas Ever".
- Also Steve's reaction to Mex's catchphrase on Tex and Mex. "Best. Catchphrase. Ever."
- Seems to be a Stock Phrase in Nickelodeon shows. Case in point, about every second episode of The Fairly OddParents.
- In Family Guy, an ad is shown for "Hasbro's Best Thing Ever" (a short of Silly Putty actually). Stewie, watching the commercial, enthusiastically shouts: "I want it!"
- One episode of Hey Arnold! had the title character going through a list of things that would make the best Saturday ever, but no kid had ever successfully completed. Two of the first items are eat a bowl of cereal while watching cartoons all morning. He oversleeps, the milk is spoiled, and the TV goes out. Everything else goes just as wrong.
- In the Kick Buttowski episode where the kids get trapped on a school bus on a snow day because Kendall Perkins had her dad call the school to make it a school day, they take so long getting to school that school hours are over, much to the disappointment of Kendall. The episode ends with Kick and Gunther declaring "Best. Snow day. Ever."
- The first season of Moral Orel ended with (or began with, depending on your point of view) an episode titled "The Best Christmas Ever", in which Orel is determined to make this Christmas just that. The subversion? The episode has such a Downer Ending that the commentary for the episode mentioned that [adult swim] got several letters from people saying the episode ruined their Christmas.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
- The season one finale is entitled "The Best Night Ever". The mane cast has spent the entire season dreaming about the upcoming Grand Galloping Galanote , and are determined to make sure it is the Best Night Ever at any cost. Unfortunately their efforts end up making the party an unqualified disaster (like, they actually cause significant damage to the venue), except that later Princess Celestianote comes and tells them that it was, in fact, the Best Night Ever, at least compared to the stuffy Galas of previous years; the reason she had invited Twilight and her friends to the Gala was in the hopes they would liven things up.
- Rainbow Dash quotes the trope twice in "Sonic Rainboom" when she A) does the Sonic Rainboom, and B) gets to meet the Wonderbolts and wins the Best Young Flyer award.
- Sweetie Belle has "the best idea ever" in "Hearts and Hooves Day."
- Again in the second season finale.
- In "Pinky Apple Pie":
- Apple Bloom kicks it off by calling hers the "best family ever!"
- Pinkie Pie herself says "Best ever!" a lot throughout the episode.
- Phineas and Ferb
- The Polly Pocket animation is based on the trope. The theme song mentions "best time ever". One episode was about Polly and her friends going to watch a movie adaptation of what they consider "the best book ever", hoping it'd be the best movie ever, only to later decide it was the worst movie ever.
- The Powerpuff Girls; the episode "Best Rainy Day Adventure Ever" is actually considered by fans one of the best PPG episodes ever.
- The Simpsons: Bart and Lisa are certain the trip to Itchy 'n' Scratchy Land will be the best vacation ever! Subverted in that it really was the best vacation ever. Double Subverted in that they promised to never speak of it again.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- The episode "Best Day Ever" (from which the opening quote comes from). SpongeBob's plans for the best day ever get sidetracked when he helps his friends with various crises.
- SpongeBob once described being on television as "The greatest thing to happen in the history of history!"
- In Teen Titans episode "Betrayal", Beast Boy ate a pie offered by Terra and compliments with, "This is the best pie... in the history of pies."
- In the VeggieTales Christmas Special, they successfully have the Best Christmas Ever.
- Several times in the Wibbly Pig episode "Balloons," Wibbly's balloon party is declared to be "The Best Big Balloon Party Ever," both spoken and in song.
- In "Franklin Has a Sleepover" from Franklin, Franklin and Bear declare their sleepover to be "the best sleepover ever." This trope has also surfaced on the CGI spin-off Franklin and Friends.
- Similarly, in "The Sleepover Problem" on Peg + Cat, Peg declares that her sleepover is going to be the best sleepover ever. (Viewers of both shows will have to judge whether it was better than Franklin's.)