Fanfic: Total Magic Pony Island
Total Magic Pony Island
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fiction
that somewhat crosses over with Total Drama Island
, written by Tailslover13 on Fimfiction.Net
. The series revolves around Discord, who has escaped from his prison
and discovered a television, which eventually gives him an idea: take seventeen ponies, a dragon, a zebra, and a griffon,
and split them into teams for a game called Total Magic Pony Island
and broadcast it to all of Equestria. While the participants he chooses are reluctant at first to play, they decide to stick around after learning of the prize given to the winner: one million bits.
The characters, which include the mane six (and Spike), some Ensemble Darkponies
, and some Dracos in Leather Pants
all participate in different challenges that test their skill, courage, and humiliation. Several rivalries and Ship Teases
also show up along the way for humor purposes.
The series is currently on hiatus due to an update from Fimfiction.net that limits the amount of characters in a given story.
Participants and Elimination Order (WARNING! Spoilers!)
- Vinyl Scratch (eliminated 1st; returns in chapter 14) - Magical Misfits
- Sweetie Belle (eliminated 2nd) - Royal Ruffians
- Gilda (eliminated 3rd; returns in chapter 14) - Magical Misfits
- Apple Bloom (eliminated 4th) - Magical Misfits
- Diamond Tiara (eliminated 5th) - Royal Ruffians
- Derpy Hooves (eliminated 6th; returns in chapter 14) - Magical Misfits
- Zecora (eliminated 7th) - Royal Ruffians
- Luna (eliminated 8th) - Royal Ruffians
- Silver Spoon (eliminated 9th) - Royal Ruffians
- Applejack (eliminated 10th) - Royal Ruffians
- Spike (eliminated 11th) - Royal Ruffians (eliminated after the merge)
- Gilda (eliminated 12th after returning) - Magical Misfits
- Celestia - Royal Ruffians
- Cheerilee - Magical Misfits
- Derpy Hooves - Magical Misfits
- Fluttershy - Royal Ruffians
- Pinkie Pie - Magical Misfits
- Rainbow Dash - Royal Ruffians
- Rarity - Magical Misfits
- Scootaloo - Magical Misfits
- Trixie - Magical Misfits
- Twilight Sparkle - Magical Misfits
- Vinyl Scratch - Magical Misfits
Tropes present in this work:
- Adaptational Badass: Some characters from the show who are portrayed as weak or goofy (i.e. Zecora, Pinkie Pie) are quite a bit tougher here.
- Inverted with the unicorn ponies (and princesses), as they can't use their magic.
- Affably Evil: Discord isn't actually evil in this series, just a guy who wants to have fun...and takes it to the extreme. If a pony is in danger, he will actually save them (though he claims that's to keep his ratings up). He's even outright stated that if anypony wants to leave, they're allowed to anytime. The only thing that keeps them there is the possibility of winning.
- Amusing Injuries: If a character gets severely injured, give them a few hours in a wheelchair or full-body cast and they're as good as new. Lampshaded by Twilight when it happens to Rarity.
- Attention Whore: Trixie. Though this usually backfires on her.
- Axe Crazy: Gilda, especially during the dodgeball challenge.
- Badass Boast: Spike gives one to the camera (though targeted at Rainbow Dash) after Silver Spoon gets voted off at the end of Paintball Dust-Up.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Not really the bad guy, but Rainbow, the more antagonistic one in the rivalry with Spike, wins the fight between the two of them when Spike gets sent home.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Between Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Doesn't help that Dash jerks AJ's chain by claiming their make-out session in the dungeon doesn't count.
- Berserk Button: Diamond Tiara hates being called a bully. Or being told that she isn't the greatest.
- Though she doesn't act on it, Zecora gives hints of disliking ponies mocking her rhyming speech or insulting the Everfree Forest.
Zecora: *meditating* Please, allow my team to stay healthy, strong, and well-fed...and please try to restrain me from bashing Rainbow Dash upside the head.
- Spike gets very, very pissed when Silver Spoon gets hurt and voted off.
- Rainbow Dash does not like it when ponies insult her element and call her disloyal.
- Also Rarity after Silver Spoon calls Spike the nickname Rarity, not Silver Spoon, gave him. Due to this, Rarity is happy at the paintball challenge, despite the fact that she usually doesn't like to get dirty (and obviously, this challenge includes getting dirty).
- Beware the Nice Ones: Spike and Zecora have small moments of this. Spike's moments increase greatly after Silver Spoon goes home.
- Cheerilee as well, mainly to Trixie and Diamond Tiara. Also to Rainbow Dash as of late, mainly due to the latter trying to manipulate Scootaloo, whom Cheerilee has grown very protective of.
- Big Damn Heroes: In a sense; during the dodgeball challenge, Spike wakes up just in time to win it for his team, after being unconscious the entire time.
- Big "NO!": Due to the final batch of cupcakes in the cupcake-eating challenge are "Fluttershy animal cupcakes", Fluttershy did this since she refused to eat anything with animals involved.
- Rarity did this similarly a little earlier in the same challenge, when refusing to eat cupcakes baked with clothing items.
- Big WHAT: Everypony gets one in Episode 13 when Discord announces their next challenge is split by gender, pitting Spike against all the girls.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The ending of Think Before You Derp; see Shout-Out below.
- Break the Cutie: Happens quite thoroughly to Silver Spoon after her fight with Diamond Tiara, as she proceeds to watch as her mentor, Zecora, is eliminated next, quickly followed by her, just as she was in love with Spike.
- Also to Apple Bloom, when Trixie turns her against Twilight for a short while before eliminating her just to stay in the game.
- Break the Haughty: Gilda losing the dodgeball challenge can qualify as this.
- Rainbow Dash finally gets a serving of this when Nightmare Moon locks her in a dungeon for her attitude, and later when Applejack is eliminated just after the two fell in love with each other.
- For Trixie, there's her Attention Whore attitude getting the better of her, leading her to pathetically failing a challenge, causing the entirety of her team to start hating her even more.
- Diamond Tiara gets this treatment from Cheerilee in the form of a "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- Butt Monkey: Surprisingly, Princess Celestia takes on this role. Since unicorns (and her and Luna) can't use magic, she has to rely on physical strength. Not to mention Discord has shrunk her down to the size of Twilight, making her even weaker. Long story short, she can't do much, despite being a Physical God.
- Cerebus Syndrome: While the first few chapters were largely comical, since Ego Busters it seems to be getting at least a bit darker and sadder, if Trixie's breakdown and Silver Spoon's fight with Diamond Tiara are anything to go by. However, it does still retain frequent humor throughout.
- Character Development: Silver Spoon, originally mean just like Diamond Tiara, eventually starts seeing the error of her ways and becomes a bit nicer, though reluctantly still following Diamond Tiara.
- Chekhov's Gun: The wooden doll Zecora picks up on Dusk Island ends up bringing bad luck to her team, indirectly leading to her getting voted off. And considering what Discord says, for all we know, the doll is still around...
- Chekhov's Skill: Trixie, being a traveling showmare, is used to living off the land. This proves very handy when on the camping challenge, as she manages to set up a good shelter, a working fire, and gather plenty of food...in under five minutes.
- The Chessmaster: Rainbow Dash is slowly becoming this, due to most of the remaining participants being on her side, allowing her to easily manipulate them to get rid of whoever she doesn't like. In fact, at the moment, the only remaining participants who don't seem to be on her side are Cheerileenote , Gildanote , and Trixienote .
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Aside from the obvious Pinkie Pie, there's also Derpy Hooves, Vinyl Scratch, Scootaloo, and Discord.
- Comically Missing the Point: When others insult Rainbow Dash's element and call her disloyal, she never stops to think about why they're doing it, only thinking that it means they're against her and need to be eliminated.
- Continuity Nod: There are a few references to the actual Friendship is Magic series, such as Spike bringing up his massive size change on his birthday, as well as the appearance of Mare-Do-Well.
- Cowardly Lion: Fluttershy.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Implied with Trixie.
- Confirmed in Paintball Dust-Up.
- Deadpan Snarker: Discord, Twilight, Gilda, Trixie, and Nightmare Moon primarily. However, every character gets a shot at this at some point. Yes, every character that speaks. (Except Vinyl Scratch, who is voted out in the first episode.)
- Determinator: When the Misfits are struggling in the second challenge, Apple Bloom takes charge and wins the entire thing pretty much single-hoofedly.
- Discord Did It: The explanation for Nightmare Moon being able to use magic, even though the other unicorns and alicorns can't.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Nightmare Moon takes on this role in the boot camp challenge.
- Elimination Houdini: Invoked. Certain characters go to great lengths to avoid getting eliminated when they probably deserved it.
- Epic Fail: Meta example: The chapters are named to parody the names of the episodes of the actual show, in the order they are (e.g. two-parter Disharmony is Magic parodied the name of show's two-parter Friendship is Magic). However, the Episode 6 (technically Chapter 7, due to the pilot episode being first) was originally named Show Stoppers, while in show The Show Stoppers episode is the 18th episode and the 6th episode was Boast Busters. The chapter's name was later changed to Ego Busters.
- Zecora's attempt at brewing a potion ends up giving poison joke ailments to almost her entire team.
- And we can't forget Trixie's performance at the talent show.
- The final blindfold challenge in Fail Of The Century. The Royal Ruffians team (picked by Discord of course), Silver Spoon and Luna, just mere feet before the finish line, got on the final land mine, which blew them up. That made them lose the entire challenge. Even Trixie commented on this.
Trixie: *laughing* And more like a total fail, too! Only mere feet away from the finish line! Oh, what a cruel mistress fate is!
- Establishing Character Moment: The introductions of each participant tend to reflect their personality.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Discord, despite being the lord of chaos and having kidnapped all these characters in the first place, saved Silver Spoon's life and doesn't seem to mind letting characters from the opposite team show up to bid farewell to any friends that were voted out. Not to mention even he's disappointed by Diamond Tiara's constant bullying, as well as Apple Bloom being voted off.
- When Nightmare Moon takes over for an episode, she is disgusted by Rainbow Dash's showboating and mocking Fluttershy and pulls her from the challenge.
- Flanderization: By the truckload:
- Spike's crush on Rarity develops into outright perverted territory. Subverted when he falls for Silver Spoon instead.
- Scootaloo idolizing Rainbow Dash soon turns into a blatant crush on her.
- Gilda's brashness and rudeness switches into Axe Crazy during the dodgeball challenge, with her using her own teammates as shields and weapons.
- Rainbow Dash goes from being a Jerk with a Heart of Gold to outright Jerk Ass.
- Foregone Conclusion: Some of the eliminations are a bit obvious beforehand for readers who have watched Total Drama Island.
- Foreshadowing: In the comments, the author has made a few remarks that count as this. For example, he states that readers probably won't like what he plans to do with Applejack, as well as he was planning on eliminating Spike, but needed him for something in the future.
- For Science!: Twilight's justification for eating the Trixie cupcake.
- From Nopony To Nightmare: In a sense, Trixie goes through this. After failing a challenge horribly, she manipulates every member on her team except for Twilight and Rarity just to save herself and vote off Apple Bloom instead. Possibly downplayed or subverted, as after this she gets better and goes back to her normal self.
- Gasshole: Scootaloo can burp the entire alphabet after drinking enough soda.
- Hates Everypony Equally: Trixie hates everypony in the game the same way. At least, that's what she claims.
- Headbutting Heroes: Twilight and Trixie, Spike and Diamond Tiara, Zecora and Rainbow Dash.
- And, recently, Spike and Rainbow Dash.
- Heroic BSOD: Spike after being eliminated, because he couldn't avenge Silver Spoon.
- Cheerilee also goes into a minor one when Rainbow Dash says she's "just a teacher" and not close enough to any of them to be considered a friend.
- Hidden Depths: Quite a few:
- Zecora is shown in the second episode to be a rather fast runner.
- Spike is shown during the talent show to have a natural talent for beatboxing.
- Considering it was Rainbow Dash who taught him how to beatbox, it may also count as a hidden talent for her.
- Also in the talent show, Trixie is shown to be able to channel a powerful magic that can't be blocked by the island's curse. Actually subverted, as she made this up and in a Million-to-One Chance, the stick she picked up to demonstrate was actually a dropped firework.
- On the other hand, her skills at living off the land saved them during the wilderness challenge, when she managed to set up a perfect shelter and gather food in a mere five minutes. And she graciously shared everything with the rest of the team.
- Hypocritical Humor: Trixie says that Twilight is useless since she can't use magic, even though she's in the exact same position. Lampshaded by Zecora.
- Irony: Silver Spoon is eliminated in Paintball Dust-Up, despite being the only member of the Royal Ruffians to not get hit. Spike lampshades this.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Rainbow Dash comes across as this, until she loses her heart of gold.
- Trixie as well, possibly, but her heart of gold is really well-hidden.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Cheerilee and Celestia have a conversation in episode 14 that consists of them asking questions about their life if it was a story.
Cheerilee: So, our time on this island…and our moment sitting together like this…is simply another chapter and another paragraph for our book, right?
- Let's Get Dangerous: Spike in the dodgeball challenge.
- Lost My Appetite: Most campers, including Discord and Nightmare Moon, after watching Twilight eat a Trixie Cupcake, which are made out of Trixie's hair, coat, hoof clippings and saliva, which was milked from her tongue as a substitute for milk. Due to neither team fully eating the Trixie Cupcakes, the challenge remained tied after that, since there was no point awarded.
- Mama Bear: She's not her mother, but Cheerilee eventually begins acting very protective of Scootaloo.
- Miles to Go Before I Sleep: A downplayed example; before Spike gets eliminated, he makes sure to let Rainbow know it was him who eliminated Applejack.
- Also earlier on; Spike knows he's going home soon, but wants to avenge Silver Spoon first. Unfortunately, he fails.
- Mind Screw: In-universe; Derpy's form of leaving the game is this to all remaining campers, as well as Discord. Yes, even Discord is confused.
- My Rules Are Not Your Rules: Discord disabled the unicorns' magic...but Pinkie Pie isn't a unicorn, she's an earth pony. A very random earth pony.
Celestia: No…the island doesn’t allow magic. Oh, wait…hmm, actually, it DOES allow ‘magic’…except not the kind used from a unicorn’s horn.
- Nervous Wreck: Rarity, after seeing Spike and Silver Spoon together, and the stuff they do, despite the former (ie. Spike) having a(n) (obvious) crush on her in the official show.
- Never My Fault: No matter how much she might be to blame for their team's problems, Dash refuses to acknowledge it, finding the flimsiest excuses to pin it on anyone else.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Before the talent show challenge, the team members are showing off their respective talents to each other to find out who will participate. Zecora attempts to brew a potion, but she added Poison Joke to the mixture. When the potion overflows, it splashes over almost everypony on her team, leaving only Celestia, Luna, and Spike as being able to do anything for the talent show. Subverted when they win anyway, thanks to Trixie's screw-up.
- Not Me This Time: Discord gets misblamed for Applejack's elimination, with Twilight theorizing that separating them was his plan all along.
- Not Now, Kiddo: Inverted; Cheerilee tends to get ignored by the others.
- Not So Stoic: Zecora is prone to occasional slips from her calm personality, though Played for Laughs.
- Official Couple: Spike and Silver Spoon; Applejack and Rainbow Dash.
- Oh, Crap: Quite often. The best example so far is at the end of episode 14, when Spike is on the boat heading home and Applejack walks up to him, having overheard him proclaiming that it was him who rigged the votes and got her eliminated.
- This is Cheerilee's reaction in a nutshell when she realizes that Derpy and Fluttershy turned on her plan to blindside Rainbow in "Feeling Dashie Mean." Even worse, she now has to deal with Scootaloo and Celestia, whom she lied to prior to the vote.
- Only in It for the Money: The participants only continue playing the game in the hopes that they'll win the million bits.
- Only Sane Pony: It's actually nearly impossible to find a completely sane participant in this fic, but so far, the closest candidate would have to be Cheerilee.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Cheerilee drops her normal attitude to deliver a "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Diamond Tiara.
- Fluttershy stops being cowardly enough to jump off a high dock into a lake. A lake filled with sharks.
- Put On A Boat: Naturally, all characters that are voted off are sent home on a boat.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Several character duos end up this way. In the following list, the red oni is first and the blue oni second:
- Twilight and Rarity
- Rainbow Dash and Applejack
- Pinkie Pie and Derpy Hooves (occasionally switched)
- Trixie and Cheerilee
- Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon
- Luna and Celestia (Also occasionally switched)
- Discord and Nightmare Moon
- Revenge by Proxy: Applejack's elimination is less about getting her out and more about hurting Rainbow Dash through it.
- Rhymes on a Dime: Zecora, as always. Rainbow Dash mocks this at one point. Zecora is not amused.
- Ship Tease: Too many to name. Some are just given a few lines for fun, while others appear to be actually developing. Just to name a few:
- Twilight and Vinyl Scratch
- Twilight and Trixie
- Rainbow Dash and Applejack
- Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo
- Spike and Silver Spoon
- Discord and Nightmare Moon
- Shout-Out: The majority of the elimination ceremony in Think Before You Derp is mostly this to "Enter the League of Fanons", another fanfic.
- Plus the Rainbow Dash Sky Cupcakes. Whoever has read "Cupcakes"...
Pinkie Pie: *eats sky cupcake and squeals* Mmm, delicious! Dashie, you taste SO good! Do you think Nightmare Moon can give me the recipe so I can make more cupcakes out of you again?
Rainbow Dash: Er…Pinkie…they’re not made out of me, they’re made to resemble and describe me. *gives Pinkie a rather scared look* And…the way you said that…kinda makes me nervous. I don’t know why, but it does.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Applejack and Rainbow Dash
- So Bad, It's Good: In-universe; Twilight's performance at the talent show is so boring, Discord and Nightmare Moon give her a perfect ten just to get her to shut up.
- Super OCD: Twilight has shades of this.
- Talkative Loon: Pinkie Pie and Derpy Hooves.
- Then Let Me Be Evil: Trixie after her utter failure at the talent show challenge and subsequent talking down from the rest of her team.
Trixie: They want Trixie to be evil? Very well, Trixie will be evil.
- Also Spike, thanks to Silver Spoon.
:Oh, don’t you worry…I plan on it.
- Evidenced by Rainbow Dash.
Rainbow Dash: Thanks, Spike, for making yourself the villain!
- The One Guy: Spike is, aside from Discord, the only male out of the 22 characters (20 being campers). His reaction after finding out?
Spike: *perverted grin* AWESOME.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Cheerilee pulls a pretty awesome one on Diamond Tiara after her constant bullying of Silver Spoon.
- Title Drop: Inevitable, as the name of the fanfic is the name of the game in the fanfic.
- Took a Level in Badass: Spike and Apple Bloom.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: The competition brings out the absolute worst in Rainbow Dash. Trixie and Gilda also become even greater jerks.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Silver Spoon.
- Totally Radical: Vinyl Scratch's speech patterns have large amounts of this.
Vinyl: Hey dudes, what's up? Your resident DJ is in the house, ya dig? So, when's the show starting? I'm anxious to lay down some groovy beats!
Discord: Ah, DJ PON-3, so nice to see you!
Vinyl: Um, dude, DJ PON-3 is my stage name. If ya wouldn't mind, could ya please call me Vinyl Scratch? That's my real name, ya feel me?
Discord: Okay...Vinyl...uh, please just go stand over there with the others. The 'show' will start very soon, but until then, please just go over there and...yeah, just go now.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Derpy and her muffins.
- Twitchy Eye: Happens to Rainbow Dash when Mare Do Well shows up.
- Underestimating Badassery: Rainbow Dash doesn't think Spike can do anything to harm her as revenge for Silver Spoon going home, since she thinks the entire team is on her side. Spike ends up getting revenge by sending home Applejack, whom Rainbow had fallen in love with.
- Unrequited Love Switcheroo: Rarity does not take Spike's blossoming relationship with Silver Spoon well.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: In the prologue, Pinkie overhears Discord plotting his revenge, and thinks nothing of it (but then, this is Pinkie Pie we're talking about...)
- Justified, as she thought it was a dream.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Applejack and Rainbow Dash have a Type 2 going on. Celestia and Luna seem to be this as well.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When Trixie miserably fails the talent show challenge, the entire team calls her out on it.
- Even more when she manipulates most of the team to get rid of Apple Bloom.
- Cheerilee does this to Diamond Tiara.
- And Spike does it to his crush, after acknowledging what she did to Silver Spoon at the paintball challenge.
- And then he does it to Rainbow Dash twice; once for Silver Spoon going home rather than her, and once for her attitude indirectly resulting in them losing a challenge.