Lost My Appetite
A Stock Phrase used by characters who are just about to eat until they hear or see something in particular. Usually the thing heard or seen is something requiring Brain Bleach or Too Much Information. Can happen in cases of Alien Lunch, Foreign Queasine, Put Off Their Food, and I Ate WHAT?. Contrast Inappropriate Hunger and Autopsy Snack Time.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Seitokai Yakuindomo: A rare example of the cause not being disgusting, Mutsumi Mitsuba says this when Takatoshi Tsuda, who she has a crush on, appears.
- Strange Days
Max: [After seeing a dead body] Well, I've lost my appetite. [Throws food away] For about a year.
Chip: You have such a big heart. That's why you're my little cuddly-widdles.Muffy: Oh, my big, strong pheromone factory.[They Eskimo kiss]Z: Oh, brother. Suddenly, I just lost my appetite.
- Balto: Steele (a Siberian Husky) and Balto (a wolf-dog hybrid) are competing for the affections of Jenna (also a Siberian Husky).
Steele: Let's celebrate. I know where all the bones are buried.Jenna: I don't know, Steele. Suddenly I've lost my appetite.Steele: Well, maybe your taste runs more toward [short pause] wolf.
- The Princess And The Cobbler
Phido the Vulture: Is this when we eat? I need to eat, I don't see any food; I'm still hungry here. [sees One-Eye] I think I just lost my appetite.
- Granny Weatherwax in A Hatful of Sky spends the night sharing minds with an owl. The next morning, she declines the thought of breakfast.
Granny Weatherwax: I don't want to eat anything. The owl I was in was eating voles all night.Tiffany Aching: Yes, but that wasn't you eating them, was it?Granny Weatherwax: No. But if you thought you'd been eating voles all night, you'd be amazed how much you don't want to eat the next morning. Or ever again.
- Comes up in Galaxy of Fear: The Hunger. Zak is offered some amazing-smelling stew, and wants to check on someone who was hurt helping him first. The poor guy looks awful, and when Zak comes back he's lost his appetite. But he notes that his body is still hungry - he hasn't eaten in a day - so he accepts a bowl anyway.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "The Wish":
The Master: [holds up a young girl] Hungry? I've lost my appetite for this one. She keeps looking at me. I'm trying to eat and she looks at me!
- Arrested Development
[after being denied entrance to a high-end restaurant]Lindsay Funke: Let's just go, I've suddenly lost my appetite.Lucille Bluth: Oh, who's gonna believe that?
- On Misfits, Nikki does this when Nathan casually shows her the bucket he has on stand-by for bathroom emergencies.
- Mash: as BJ relays to Hawkeye instructions on birthing a calf via the PA system ("you may have to stick your arm in all the way to the shoulder") we see a shot of the mess tent where everybody pushes their trays away.
- Happens twice to Chandler on Friends, when someone says something disgusting ("they actually eat the placenta"/"I'm gonna miss that big old squishy butt"), causing him to respond, "And we're done with the yogurt"/"chicken fried rice" and putting the food down.
- There's a Garfield cartoon where Garfield is eating and Jon starts talking about the time he laughed so much, soda came out of his nose. "It felt like it was fizzing inside my brain!"
Garfield: You've just made history. I've lost my appetite.
- Jon makes history again in this one.
- Of course, no one can make someone lose their appetite like Irma can.
- Also, happens to Liz in this strip. (Note that she's a vet, so the fact that Garfield could make her sick to her stomach is saying something.)
- Calvin and Hobbes: Calvin's mom offers him a jelly doughnut out of a paper sack. Calvin refuses because the jelly always comes out the far side whenever he bites into them, like a giant bug with its guts falling out. Mom glances aside as she pushes the bag away: "And my friends wonder how I stay so thin..."
- In one FoxTrot cartoon, Paige is in her biology class in the first three panels, doing experiments dissecting frogs and looking at fly maggots. In the last panel, she and Nichole are in the cafeteria, both looking sick, where she says, "I'm surprised no-one has ever tried to market the 'fifth period biology class diet'."
- Persona 3: Akihiko says this after hearing about Strega's growing influence involving The Fall.
- In Persona 4, the Main Character can tell Yosuke this just before sampling Chie's and Yukiko's curry.
- In Mass Effect 2, Grunt enthusiastically tells Shepard about one of the images he saw in his tank—one of a mutilated turian. Shepard isn't quite so excited.
Shepard: I hope you have a good reason for ruining my lunch.
- The Simpsons episode "Treehouse of Horror IX":
[Maggie's open mouth reveals a baby tooth that looks like a sharp fang]Homer: I just lost my appetite.Lisa: Me, too.Homer: [grabs Lisa's bowl] Wait, mine came back.
- Tiny Toon Adventures
Buster J. Bunny: Hey-a, Loon girl... any guess as what today's mystery meal is?Shirley: Oooh, like this requires telekinetic communication, Buster. I'll have to, like, meld with the meal. Ok, it's coming. I am... I am... poultry.Plucky: Let's do lunch.Shirley: Ewwww, I just lost my appetite.
- In the Futurama episode "A Prisoner of Benda", Amy and Hermes claim to have lost their appetite forever after seeing Fry and Leela make out in Prof. Farnsworth's and Zoidberg's bodies.
- In American Dad! episode "Bullocks for Stan":
Stan: This man rode me like an animal for three hours! Do you have any idea what that's like?Hayley: (Raises eyebrow)Stan: And now I'm not hungry.
- In one original series episode, the ever-hungry Shaggy says this after being spooked by a hermit.
- In the Teen Titans episode "Betrothed", Beast Boy loses his appetite after seeing how Starfire and her fellow Tameranians eat. (Basically, table manners are nonexistent on her planet, and the food doesn't look very appetizing.) Cyborg, however, is more open-minded.
- In the Superman: The Animated Series episode "Identity Crisis", Bizarro remembers he asked Lois out before he started to degenerate, so he kidnaps her, and breaks into a restaurant; unfortunately, his manners are atrocious. When he asks Lois if she wants anything, she replies, "Oh, no thanks, I had a big lunch... (Aside} Which I'm about to lose..."