The Last Thing You Ever See
Standard threat from villains (and occasionally heroes): "The last thing you ever see will be my X", where X is generally either some variety of weapon or simply "face". Perilously close to being discredited
these days, unless it's about to get subverted somehow.
When combined with Exact Words
, expect someone to lose their eyes
, but probably not their life. Is a mildly more sedate version of I'll Kill You!
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Bleach: "You better not forget my name... and hope you don't have to hear it a second time. Grimmjow Jeagerjacques! The next time you hear this name will be your last, Shinigami!"
- Variant in Fullmetal Alchemist. Axe Crazy Kimbley cheerily recommends always remembering the faces of the people you kill. "After all, they'll always remember you."
- Variation: In Con Air, Cyrus the Virus taunts Poe by saying the last thing his daughter smells will be "my stinking breath." He uses another slight variation against the plane's pilot:
Cyrus the Virus: And if you say a word about this over the radio, the next wings you see will belong to the flies buzzing over your rotting corpse.
- In King Arthur. Arthur says to the Big Bad "Remember my face. For the next time you see it, it will be the last thing you see on this Earth". When he kills said Big Bad, he even makes a point to hold his head up so his face really is the last thing he sees.
- Variation in Avatar: The Na'vi refer to their world's flying apex predator as "Last Shadow".
- Taken: "If you don't get me what I need, the last thing you'll see before I make your children orphans is the bullet I put between her eyes."
- Played with in Smokin' Aces. One of the assassins kills the casino's chief of security, but goes out of his way to kill him painlessly, and comforts him in his dying moments. He tells him to close his eyes so that his face won't be the last thing the guy will ever see, because (switching to Spanish) "Heaven may hold it against you." This compassion is greatly ironic, considering that the assassin in question is known for being a ruthless torturer.
- Variation used in the film of the Biblical story of Samson, when his eyes are put out.
- The Ten Commandments: Bithiah says it to Memnet, when making her swear to keep quiet about Moses.
Bithiah: The day you break that oath will be the last your eyes will ever see.
- In The Pearls of Lutra, the Big Bad tells Martin that the last thing he'll hear is the Big Bad's name, which he shouts before they begin their fight. As the Big Bad lies dying, Martin comments "So yours wasn't the last name I heard. But here's the last name you'll ever hear. I say it for a friend whose kin you had murdered for a half-dozen pearls. Holt Lutraaaaaa!"
- Brittlestar, a minor character in A Darkling Plain, is killed when a Stalker, standing behind him, gives him a 180 degree Neck Snap. The narration claims that the last thing he sees is his own startled face, reflected in the Stalker's bronze mask.
Live Action Television
- In the pre-show of The Simpsons Ride at Universal Studios, Sideshow Bob says this, stating it will be a brief safety instruction video. Screams from the Simpsons immediately follow.
- In Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Joker tells Batman that "The last sound you'll hear will be our laughter" and proceeds to do so.
- In The Batman:
Joker: Clayface! Just the do-gooder I was hoping to see!
Clayface: I'll be the last do-gooder you'll ever see!
- Jackie Chan Adventures: "I am Hak Foo, the last human you will ever lay eyes upon."
- Spider-Man: The Animated Series proves that this doesn't work against You Fight Like a Cow:
Spider-Man: Did you say 'Hydrant-Man?' The dogs must love you!
Hydro-Man: It's Hydro-Man! And it's the last name you'll ever hear.
Spider-Man: For somebody new to this super-villain gig, you've sure got the cliches down.