open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Bleach: "You better not forget my name... and hope you don't have to hear it a second time. Grimmjow Jeagerjacques! The next time you hear this name will be your last, Shinigami!"
- Variant in Fullmetal Alchemist. Axe Crazy Kimbley cheerily recommends always remembering the faces of the people you kill. "After all, they'll always remember you."
- In X-Men, Wolverine once issued one of these threats to the Blob, telling him to get into the habit of looking over his shoulder, because one day Wolverine will be there. And that he won't be seeing much else after that.
- Played with in DC: The New Frontier. Joe, a Death Seeker trying to avenge his fallen friends, looks at the sky, decides it's the last thing he wants to see, closes his eyes, and kills the T-Rex that murdered his friends by jumping down its throat while holding live grenades.
- Angelus threatens the members of Angel Investigations in "Cavalry":
"The last thing you smell will be each other's blood"
- In Transformers Spotlight Blaster swears revenge on Soundwave for brainwashing one of his friends into attacking him.
"And the last voice he hears, will be mine!"
Films — Animated
- In Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Joker tells Batman that "The last sound you'll hear will be our laughter" and proceeds to do so.
Films — Live-Action
- Variation: In Con Air, Cyrus the Virus taunts Poe by saying the last thing his daughter smells will be "my stinking breath." He uses another slight variation against the plane's pilot:
Cyrus the Virus: And if you say a word about this over the radio, the next wings you see will belong to the flies buzzing over your rotting corpse.
- In King Arthur. Arthur says to the Big Bad "Remember my face. For the next time you see it, it will be the last thing you see on this Earth". When he kills said Big Bad, he even makes a point to hold his head up so his face really is the last thing he sees.
- Variation in Avatar: The Na'vi refer to their world's flying apex predator as "Last Shadow".
- Taken: "If you don't get me what I need, the last thing you'll see before I make your children orphans is the bullet I put between her eyes."
- Played with in Smokin' Aces. One of the assassins kills the casino's chief of security, but goes out of his way to kill him painlessly, and comforts him in his dying moments. He tells him to close his eyes so that his face won't be the last thing the guy will ever see, because (switching to Spanish) "Heaven may hold it against you." This compassion is greatly ironic, considering that the assassin in question is known for being a ruthless torturer.
- Variation used in the film of the Biblical story of Samson, when his eyes are put out.
- The Ten Commandments: Bithiah says it to Memnet, when making her swear to keep quiet about Moses.
Bithiah: The day you break that oath will be the last your eyes will ever see.
- And her proclamation comes true. Even though it's Bithiah threatening to kill Memnet should she open her mouth, it's Nefreteri who does so when Memnet spills the beans to her.
- Used literally in Dragonheart when the newly crowned King Einon visits the quarry where the peasants who rebelled two scenes ago have been enslaved. The ringleader of the revolt brags about having killed Einon's father, and Einon says the line and orders him blinded.
- In True Lies, to force Harry to talk, the terrorist puts a knife to Helen's throat and declares "The last thing she'll see is her blood spraying across your face."
- In The Pearls of Lutra, the Big Bad tells Martin that the last thing he'll hear is the Big Bad's name, which he shouts before they begin their fight. As the Big Bad lies dying, Martin comments "So yours wasn't the last name I heard. But here's the last name you'll ever hear. I say it for a friend whose kin you had murdered for a half-dozen pearls. Holt Lutraaaaaa!"
- Brittlestar, a minor character in A Darkling Plain, is killed when a Stalker, standing behind him, gives him a 180 degree Neck Snap. The narration claims that the last thing he sees is his own startled face, reflected in the Stalker's bronze mask.
Live Action Television
- Dallas: In the final act of the Season 6 cliffhanger, which ends with a huge fire at Southfork. J.R. Ewing is relaxing when an angry Ray Krebs confronts him in the living room (over being indirectly responsible for a hit-and-run accident that nearly killed Mickey Trotter). J.R. remarks that Ray is the last person he wanted to see tonight, after which Ray tells him, "And I'm the last person you'll ever see!" Indeed, Ray might just be the last person J.R. ever sees, after the two get into a huge fight and inadvertently cause a fire that spreads quickly throughout the house; J.R. tries to escape but is quickly overcome by smoke. (Of course, J.R. escapes and – like Ray, who also got out – suffers only minor injuries.)
- Hilariously defied in Firefly. The Dragon is threatening Mal as Mal attempts to explain the (pretty reasonable) terms on which he wants to cancel the crew's deal with the Big Bad. Around the time the guy gets to "...and the last thing you will see is my blade," Mal rolls his eyes, utters a short "Darn," and then kicks him right into the intake of Serenity's engine. Schplercht! The next guy immediately agrees to Mal's terms.
- In Babylon 5, Commander Ivanova delivers this line to an EarthForce battle group: "I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing you are ever gonna see! God sent me."
- In the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "The Gift," Buffy states that if the plan fails and the world ends, the last thing Dawn will see will be Buffy protecting her.
- In the Lost season 4 finale, Michael tells Desmond and Jin that if the bomb is triggered and they haven't frozen the battery yet, the red light will be the last thing they ever see.
- The tagline of Nikita Season 1:
Nikita: I will hunt down Division, and the last word they'll breathe before the end, will be my name.
- Happens twice in the History Channel's The Bible (2013) miniseries: once when the Philistines capture Samson (and he sees a bribe dumped in his wife's lap), and once when the Babylonian king captures the Israelite king (and the king sees his sons' throats cut). In both cases, the captor then puts out the prisoner's eyes with his thumbs.
- "Her Eyes Say Yes" by Hit the Lights uses this trope in a rather creepy fashion.
- Hitman: Blood Money: The first mission has the assassin 47 showing a photograph to his target, "Swing King," telling him that his client wants this to be the last thing he sees before 47 kills him.
- In the Dawn of War expansion Soulstorm, the primary commander unit of the Eldar says "I am the last thing you will see." in battle. Constantly.
- In Halo Wars, during the final confrontation between Sergeant Forge and the Arbiter, the Arbiter lifts Forge up by the head and prepares to skewer him with his energy sword, telling Forge that "My face is the last thing your pathetic eyes will ever see." Forge then stabs him in the neck with his knife.
- Duke Nukem 3D: "I'm coming back to town, and the last thing that's gonna go through your mind before you die... is my size-13 boot!"
- Played with in Fallout: New Vegas - The motto of the NCR 1st Recon is: "The last thing you never see".
Boone: Pretty accurate, and so were we.
- Dirge, a thug who works as a security guard for the thieves guild in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, tells you his Meaningful Name comes from the fact that if you make him mad, he'll be the last thing you hear.
- When the Demon Hunter in Diablo III swears revenge against Maghda the Witch, they promise that the last thing Magdha sees will be a bolt from their crossbow.
- In The Batman:
Joker: Clayface! Just the do-gooder I was hoping to see!
Clayface: I'll be the last do-gooder you'll ever see!
- Jackie Chan Adventures: "I am Hak Foo, the last human you will ever lay eyes upon."
- Spider-Man: The Animated Series proves that this doesn't work against You Fight Like a Cow:
Spider-Man: Did you say 'Hydrant-Man?' The dogs must love you!
Hydro-Man: It's Hydro-Man! And it's the last name you'll ever hear.
Spider-Man: For somebody new to this super-villain gig, you've sure got the cliches down.
- Dragons: Race to the Edge: In "Have Dragon Will Travel", Heather is on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge against Dagur the Deranged for slaughtering her home village. At one point she declares, "I want my face to be the last thing he sees!"