Fan Fic: Megamix Tournament
The Megamix Tournament is a Spin-Off
of a similar fanfic called the Ultimate Video Rumble
. As such, it is also a Mega Crossover
tournament-style fanfic, combining several different franchises (mostly fighting games, but there are exceptions), pitting them against each other in a huge tournament where they get eliminated one at a time until only one is left standing, much like a Royal Rumble in wrestling. Also like the UVR, the Megamix Tournament is a votefic, where the readers vote on which of the twenty (or thirty) fighters in the ring at the time will survive a particular "Section", and when the arena is filled again, the voting process restarts and keeps going until only one is left.
All three of the tournaments follow a similar format: Having an arena of fighters to vote on as well as "Side Battles" going on outside of the ring. At the same time, there is an evil plot being brewed and the mission of stopping it falls onto the shoulders of a mismatched group of heroes that join forces to take down the villains. The winner of the first tournament was Kasumi Todoh from Art of Fighting
while the winner of the second was Sakura from Street Fighter
. The third tournament is still in progress.
It should be noted that the main thing that separates the Megamix Tournament from the Ultimate Video Rumble is that some franchises represented aren't fighting games. Suikoden
has seen representation in all three tournaments, with Suikoden III
getting the most attention. Also, most of the Mystery Fighters that show up aren't from fighting games at all.
The Megamix Tournament is arguably one of the more-successful spinoffs of the Ultimate Video Rumble, as it has seen two tournaments completed and has a third in progress.
All three tournaments can be found on the author's profile here
These stories provide examples of...
- Author Avatar: The writer of the story appears as the main host and owner of the tournament in the story.
- Bar Brawl: The machine that usually sends eliminated fighters to random franchises had a malfunction for one section sending the eliminated people to the bar stage in Streets of Rage 2. Needless to say, panic ensues. Eight of the eliminated fighters even had a side battle inside of the bar brawl.
- Berserk Button: In the second tournament, Heat Man finds out the hard way never to mock Kula Diamond's past or friends that died protecting her.
- Big Bad: In all three tournaments, the main villain is M. Bison, joining forces with the villains of the other franchises represented.
- Big Damn Heroes: Each tournament has a ragtag group of heroes from different franchises that join forces to fight the villains.
- Butt Monkey / Chew Toy: Ash Crimson. Not only is Ash a living punching bag in the arena, but he has never won a Side Battle outside of the arena. The author has made it clear that he hates the character.
- The Cameo: The second tournament included a whole "franchise" of actual fans, which the author thought would get more people interested in the story. It wasn't received very well...
- Cloudcuckoolander: Gadget Z has a tendency to malfunction just before he enters the ring. He speaks in nothing but random quotes from all forms of media while malfunctioning.
- Fangirl: Ever since Heavy D! had saved Ryoko from being kidnapped, she became this to him to the point she even enters wearing a T-shirt showing her appreciation for her.
- Felicia becomes one to Bowser in the second tournament, giving him so much adoration that it creeps him out.
- After being forced caffine pills by Captain Falcon, Zelda became a Genki Girl and became a fangirl of Xigbar much to his displeasure.
- Five-Man Band:
- The security team for the first tournament:
- The security team for the second tourney:
- Fourth Wall Observer: Psymon Stark and Max, especially since they frequently turn to a script of the tournament. The other members of the security force just seem to go along with it.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: The third tournament includes Spanx and Redmond as Mystery Fighters. Redmond spends the entirety of their stay shouting at Spanx to stop throwing him at their opponents.
- Heel-Face Turn: The Robot Masters from Mega Man 1 and Mega Man 4 are part of the good side; The former Robot Masters having been reprogrammed back to Dr. Light's side and the latter ones actually being Dr. Cossack's Robot Masters and not evil to begin with.
- Jobber: Some fighters have a habit of taking the bottom spot of the votes no matter what. Some examples include Gozu, Mezu and Joker, Lilly Pendragon and of course, the Megamix Tournament's main Chew Toy, Ash Crimson.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: In SPADES.
- Mega Crossover: The first tournament had characters from Street Fighter, The King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, Super Smash Bros., SuikodenIII, World Heroes, Samurai Shodown, Tekken, Marvel Universe, Galaxy Fight, Last Blade, Virtua Fighter and Kizuna Encounter.
- The second tournament took out Marvel, Last Blade, and Tekken, and added Paper Mario, Bloody Roar, Guilty Gear, Eternal Champions, The Fallout Shelter/Fort Ticonderoga (Fan fighters, later defunct and met with bad reception, Darkstalkers and Mega Man.
- The third one brought back Marvel Universe, included more people from the other two Suikoden games, took out Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, Guilty Gear, the fan fighters and Darkstalkers. New nodes included The DCU, Clayfighters, Punch-Out!!, Black And Bruised, and Ratchet & Clank.
- Mystery Fighters in the first tournament included Rage Of The Dragons, Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age Of Heroes, Black And Bruised, Mega Man X7, The Fallout Shelter, King of Fighters '98, Bloody Roar 4, River City Ransom, Guilty Gear, Super Punch Out, Eternal Champions, Darkwing Duck, Clayfighter 63 1/3, Soul Calibur, Art of Fighting 2, SuikodenII, Street Fighter 3, Mega Man, Mortal Kombat, Sonic the Hedgehog, Star Wars, Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, Paper Mario, WarioWare, Looney Tunes and Kingdom Hearts II.
- Mystery Fighters in the second tournament included The Middle Ground (Fan site), Black And Bruised, Jak and Daxter, Tekken 6, Team Fortress 2, Kingdom Hearts II, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Freakazoid!, Super Punch Out, Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, Gregory Horror Show, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Viewtiful Joe, Sam & Max: Freelance Police, Ultimate Muscle, Dead or Alive, Star Fox, King of Fighters: Maximum Impact, Art of Fighting 2, Resident Evil, Soul Calibur, Pirates of the Caribbean, Silent Hill, Raving Rabbids, Time Killers, Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age Of Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Homestar Runner, Star Wars, Crash Bandicoot, Looney Tunes, Marvel Universe, and Guilty Gear XX.
- Mystery Fighters in the third tournament included Street Fighter X Tekken, Sly Cooper, River City Ransom, Team Fortress 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Scott Pilgrim, SNK Gals Fighters, Ape Escape, Psychonauts, Gauntlet, Gravity Falls, Whiplash, Star Wars, ToeJam & Earl, One Piece, and Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess.
- The security team, combining all three tournaments, consisted of characters from The Legend of Zelda, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Mortal Kombat, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters, Sonic the Hedgehog, Paper Mario, Halo, Sam & Max: Freelance Police, SSX, F-Zero, and Raving Rabbids
- Mythology Gag: Scorpion and Larcen Tyler became friends back in the UVR. The friendship carried over to the Megamix Tournament.
- No Fourth Wall: The security force has a full script of the tournament, which they use to anticipate future battles. The only ones that seem to be aware that they're in a fictional story, however, are recurring members Psymon Stark and Max.
- The third tournament introduces Deadpool who, as per usual, is quick to point out that he's in a written story.
- Odd Friendship: Venom and Landis get along real well both in and out of the ring.
- Recurring members of the security force are Psymon Stark and Max, who usually creep the other members of the security force out with their antics.
- Shadow the Hedgehog, Astaroth and Aila formed one after sneaking up into the Sound Booth and pulling pranks people they disliked.
- Oh Crap: The host does one when he sees Squirrel Girl and Air Man teaming up.
- Deadpool gets one when he realizes that the person he goes for first, Ronnie Bell, had just ELIMINATED both members of the aforementioned team-up.
- Out-of-Character Moment: After unwilling taking some caffine pills, Zelda and Sarah Byrant had been acting hyper and excitable for the first and second tournament respectively.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Chang Koehan's superhero getup is literally nothing more than a skincap and a cape. He even wears his normal fighting attire and still lugs around the ball and chain.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: The Anti-Guy is literally a normal-sized Shyguy dressed in black. He is also super-strong, a very powerful fighter and capable of giving Heavy Weapons Guy, who is at least five times his size, a suplex.
- Playing Possum: May did this act to eliminate the champion of the first tournament, Kasumi. The reaction to her scheme was less than pleasant.
- Popularity Power: The fights are hardly about seeing who would actually win realistically.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: There is always one of these to stop an evil plan that was going on in the tournament.
- Shocking Elimination: Usually portrayed when an early favourite gets eliminated early.
- This can also be portrayed when a fighter eliminates another fighter by accident. For example, in the first tournament, Samus, the Metroid protagonist, was actually about to concede defeat to Pai Chan from the Virtua Fighter series. However, when Samus tries to allow Pai to throw her out of the ring, Samus's arm cannon lets off a charged shot completely by accident, blowing Pai out of the ring and causing Samus to win their fight anyway.
- Shout-Out: Chang Koehan's superhero alter-ego "The Koehan" is directly influenced by "The Murray", the boisterous alter-ego of Murray from Sly Cooper.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Arguably, one could think that O'Chunks was the real star of the second tournament.
- Third-Person Person: Chang Koehan, but only when he turns into "The Koehan".
- Took a Level in Badass: Chang Koehan becomes a rampaging superhero of justice called "The Koehan" when he hits his head overly hard. He also apparently gains an infinite knowledge of the fighting style he normally fails at while in this phase.
- Another good example is out of all people, Muscle Power. He was at the bottom least of the voting in the first tournament and yet at the second tournament, he managed to not only score an elimination but also survived the section.
- If Foreshadowing haven't told us so far, Maggey Bryde may be getting to be this soon. Albeit against her will.
- Unexpected Character: Several Mystery Fighters are portrayed as this.
- Voted Off The Island: Readers vote for who gets to stay in the ring and who gets eliminated. In a twist however, for every round a fighter survives elimination, he/she gets an elimination vote.