Video Game / Black And Bruised
Black & Bruised
is a cel-shaded, arcade-style boxing game released in 2003 for the Nintendo GameCube
and PS2. It was created by company Digital Fiction and published by Majesco. The game is known for having a cast of quirky characters, cel-shaded graphics, comedic dialogue, power-ups and a Nintendo Hard
story mode for each of the characters in the game.Black & Bruised
didn't receive much success when it was first released, as no new entry in the series has been released since then, but those that enjoy the game think that it's worth at least checking out should it be found.
This page is new and Needs Wiki Magic Love
This game provides examples of...
- Acrofatic: Bronto Sore and Jackpot show surprising agility when they bounce back up from getting knocked down.
- Action Girl: All of the girls.
- All-American Face: Kid USA's shorts have the print of the American flag on it.
- Alpha Bitch: Jumping Janet. Nearly all of her fights in her story mode started because of her bad attitude with her final fight have three of the people she ticked off ganging up on her in an alley.
- Amusing Injuries: Any and all injuries in the story cutscenes are Played for Laughs.
- Bald of Evil: Bronto Sore. Jackpot may also counts though his short temper.
- Bare Your Midriff: Knuckles Nadine.
- Big Eater: Jackpot
- Biker Babe: Holly Vixen
- Butt-Monkey: Several of the guys, although the biggest example is posterboy Mickey Mcfist who, throughout his OWN story mode, is constantly taking abuse to make his fights harder.
- Canada, Eh?: Tiny, the green-haired giant, is a Canadian lumberjack with a stereotypical accent.
- Cultured Badass: Odiva, Pharaoh and Royal Pain.
- Defensive Feint Trap: Royal Pain has a move that looks like he is having a heart attack before he sucker-punches his opponent with an uppercut.
- Deep South: Knuckles Nadine is a stereotypical hillbilly.
- Dirty Old Man: Old Master, if his story mode is any indication.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Major Flak
- Eagleland: Major Flak is a Type 1.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Secret characters Old Master and The Matador.
- Evil Brit: Royal Paine
- Fat Bastard: Bronto Sore, Jackpot and Royal Pain.
- Fat Girl: Odiva.
- Fat Slob: Jackpot.
- Fiery Redhead: Ally Gator and Holly Vixen
- Fighting Irish: Mickey Mcfist
- Granola Girl: Ally Gator, although she balances her tree-hugging, animal-loving self out with having one of the shortest tempers in the game.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: ALL of the boxers in their respective story modes.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Knuckles Nadine. That doesn't stop her from trying to be a singer in her story mode though.
- Jerkass: While some are better than others, ALL of the boxers have shades of this.
- Martial Arts Uniform: Maiaguru wears one.
- Masked Luchador: Somewhat. El Luchador dresses like one but like everyone else, he fights by boxing. It is really more of a superhero outfit.
- Megaton Punch: One of the game's power-ups is a "Special" item that allows the player to use their character's signature move. This can be leveled up twice to create a move that can take off around one-third of your opponent's life bar.
- Nintendo Hard: Many people that play the game are often frustrated at the difficulty of the story mode.
- Old Master: Um... Old Master
- Person of Mass Destruction: King Kahn is generally portrayed as, while not having much of a personality, someone who is very capable of tearing you a new one if he wants to.
- Punny Name: Bronto Sore, Jumping Janet, Major Flak, Ally Gator...
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: King Khan
- Rich Bastard: Royal Pain.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Several of the boxers, Kid USA and Pharaoh most-notably.
- Stout Strength: Jackpot, Bronto Sore and Odiva.
- Straw Misogynist: Old Master has "old-fashioned" views on women. If Maiaguru didn't pay him upfront, he wouldn't have even bothered to train her.
- Super Hero: El Luchador is one in his hometown.
- This Loser Is You: Jackpot is a Fat Slob who has no day job other than a boxer and is always thinking about food until he started his own cooking show.
- Training Montage: The story mode for secret character King Kahn is played out like a training challenge for him.
- Trash Talk: Randomly-generated in-between rounds. The two opponents banter back and forth a few times.
- Valley Girl: Jumping Janet.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Mickey Mcfist and Bronto Sore. The announcer says that they go way back and they share drinks together at the end of Mickey's story, but the entire time prior, Bronto is seen pummeling on Mickey.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Most of the male characters.