Video Game: Meloetta: Melody of Discord
This game in a nutshell.Meloetta: Melody of Discord
is a freeware crossover game
created by Dialga Brite
, also known as Groudon128. This game involves Pokémon
, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
, not to mention Mega Man, dolls, whale poachers
, and much more. The gameplay differs greatly depending on the character you are currently controlling - Meloetta flies, Pinkie and Miku platform.
The story centers on an imprisoned Discord
's influence tempting Meloetta into singing a chaotic song, which frees him
. The spirit of chaos immediately goes on a chaotic spree, enraging wild Pokémon, resurrecting evil whalers, discording Miku Hatsune and more. On her quest to stop him, Meloetta will team up with her friends Miku Hatsune and Pinkie Pie, and eventually defeat him with the very thing that freed him - music
! Yes, apparently they all live in the same universe. Don't ask.Meloetta: Melody of Discord
may be downloaded here
Meloetta: Melody of Discord contains examples of:
- Abnormal Ammo: examples of projectiles used in this game include musical notes, leeks, fish and the color pink. And that's just the ones used by players.
- All Just a Dream: nightmare sequences. Though, dying on the bosses of those results in a Game Over, so this might be a case of Never Sleep Again or Your Mind Makes It Real.
- Art Shift: some characters are sprited, some are drawn, and the whalers and their drones are even photorealistic!
- Attack Drone: the helicopters and ships that try to stop you from reaching the whaling vessels are referred to as drones, presumably so that the player characters can blow them up without worrying about destroying humans just doing their job.
- Author Tract: Dialga Brite is a fan of Whale Wars and the game contains numerous Japanese whaling ships as bosses.
- Badass in Distress: Kyogre, big time. The uncontested master of the seas is forced to flee before a whaling ship.
- Also Meloetta when she is captured by the Nisshin Maru.
- Boss Banter: many bosses will say things when they reach 75%, 50% and 25% health.
- Bullet Time: Homura's super special, in addition to firing notes like the other characters, also slows down enemies and their projectiles (naturally!)
- Call a Smeerp a "Rabbit": The whalers refer to Kyogre as a whale, though it's mostly because of their own ignorance. And Kyogre does look like some kind of porpoise.
- Card-Carrying Villain: most of them, really.
Discord: I'm incurable!
- Computer Virus: the Nightmare sequences are based on Creepypasta games. While Miku and Meloetta fittingly fight dark-affiliated foes (Nightmare Pokémon Darkrai and Nightmare Moon, respectively) Pinkie, as per her Medium Awareness, gets to fight something else entirely: a computer virus who takes the form of a Met wearing Powered Armor (possibly referencing their status as computer viruses in the Battle Network series). This is a nod to the creepypasta games that forcefully create unwanted files on your computer (the Luna Games are known to do that, for instance).
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: the whalers have this kind of vibe going on.
- Creepypasta: the Nightmare sequences reference creepypasta games, notably the infamous Luna Games. The game even goes as far as to forcefully create PNG files in your game folder, just like the Luna Games do.
- Dark Is Evil: Discord until the very end, as well as the Darkrai and Nightmare Moon illusions.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Moonglo, except when corrupted by Meloetta's song of Discord.
- Demonization: while few would say whale poaching is a good thing, the evilness of Japanese whalers is significantly exaggerated in this game, almost to Card-Carrying Villain levels. They are minions of Discord, to begin with, and the Nisshin Maru even plans to sell Meloetta as food. This is necessary in order to justify the heroes blowing up their ships.
- The Dragon: Serperior is The Dragon to Kaa. Darkrai is apparently The Dragon to Nightmare Moon (although they are both just illusions made by Discord). Splash Woman is The Dragon to Chrissa, and Dr. Wily is The Dragon to Discord.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: the game uses the Pokémon weaknesses system and you can use notes you get from beating levels and bosses to buy some elemental attacks. It doesn't matter much on normal enemies, as they die in one hit (except for Meloetta, who can switch her Forme between Normal/Psychic and Normal/Fighting to mitigate damage dealt to her). It's useful on some bosses, however.
- Evil Laugh: many of the villains. Nightmare Moon gets a vocal one at the beginning of the battle against her, and Discord laughs every time he is about to attack.
- Fake Difficulty: if your display is not bright enough, it can be hard to make out the dark notes Discorded Miku fires from the equally dark background.
- Fission Mailed: in the Nightmare chapter, both Miku and Meloetta are unavoidably killed by spikes. This is required for progression and takes you to the boss.
- Gotta Catch Them All: the notes, in order to reform Discord.
- Heel-Face Turn: The discorded Miku is restored after Meloetta defeats her. So is Splash Woman.
- Meloetta's music turns Discord good in the true ending.
- Hypocrite: Consider the following quote from one of the whaling ships:
"Sacrifices are necessary, to make mon - I mean, for research!"
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: between Meloetta and Miku.
- Improbable Weapon User: Miku melees with a leek.
- Making a Splash: Chrissa and Kyogre. But ironically enough, not Splash Woman.
- Musical Assassin: all the characters, though "assassin" may be a strong word. The actual effects of the musical attacks story-wise vary depending on the evilness of targets, they are implied to simply "calm down" furious Pokémon, but definitely destroy the whalers.
- Not Drawn to Scale: either your characters are huge, or the whaling ships are very tiny. Especially blatant in Miku's case.
- Ocular Gushers: Tickled Pink's crying attack.
- Petal Power: Razor Leaf.
- Power Up Motif: overlaps with Theme Music Power-Up. Every character sings a different song while using their super special. As the song ends, so does the attack.
- Razor Wind: one of the attacks you can get, also used by some enemies and bosses.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Serperior and his master Kaa.
- Say It with Hearts: Meloetta often punctuates her speech with hearts and music notes.
- Sssssnake Talk: Kaa and Serperior.
- Sonic Stunner: the whalers' sirens.
- Shock and Awe: one of the attacks you can get.
- Standard Status Effects: numerous attacks from bosses don't inflict damage, but instead cause various unpleasant effects. The whalers' siren attacks drastically slow down movement, leaving you open to their harpoons. Kaa fires blasts that put Meloetta to sleep before trying to melee her. Darkrai uses his Dark Void ability, but because of his Bad Dreams effect this actually deals damage. Tickled Pink's tears severely reduce your resistance to her attacks.
- Burn and Poison are also present.
- Super Drowning Skills: Pinkie and Miku instantly die when they fall into water. Possibly justified since Miku is an android, as for Pinkie... the water does seem to be very cold, considering that most platforms in those levels are ice.
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: Meloetta can swim for an unlimited amount of time without even needing to breathe. So can Splash Woman, but of course she's intended for just that.
- The Walls Are Closing In: in Meloetta's nightmare sequence.
- Theme Music Power-Up: every character in the game has a different song or music that plays during their super special. When the super special is used, this music overrides whatever other theme was playing at the moment, even boss themes. For instance, Meloetta sings the "Relic Song", Miku sings her rendition of Ievan Polka, and Pinkie Pie sings "Giggle At The Ghostie".
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Discord in this game does some deeds more evil than in his canon appearance. Notably, he's responsible for turning the world of Puella Magi Madoka Magica into a Crapsack World where magical girls are doomed to become witches, when it was originally supposed to be an innocent and friendly Magical Girl world.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: in the true final battle against Discord, he can shapeshift into diverse Pokémon, gaining their strengths and weaknesses.