Fanfic / Memories Of Iron
Memories of Iron
by becuzitswrong (also available at SpaceBattles.com
) is a Iron Man
-centric Marvel Comics
In desperation after her bullies make her appear to have cheated on a vital exam, Taylor Hebert prays.
Sometimes, prayers do get heard and answered, even if not by a benevolent God, then by a Cosmic Entity
indistinguishable from one from ground level.
In another reality, Anthony Edward Stark lies among the dying, having failed to repel a Celestial's attack. He is about to get another chance. Sort of.
Taylor awakens with the memories and skills of a certain genius billionaire playboy philanthropist. She now has the power to save the world... if she can save her own identity and sanity first.
This fanfic contains examples of the following:
- Adaptation Name Change: Not-yet-Lisa takes up the name Trish instead.
- Alien Space Bats: The plot is kicked off by a Cosmic Entity, never named but implied to be the Living Tribunal, gifting Taylor with Tony's memories.
- Alternate Universe Fic:
- Taylor gets her power well before the locker incident, early enough that she can get a suit out in time to fight the Simurgh in Canberra.
- In chapter three Taylor saves not-yet-Lisa from Coil's goons, causing her to join Taylor directly rather than the Undersiders.
- Anti-Magic: Taylor builds a device that can protect wearers from the Simurgh's psychic powers. Another benefit of the Cosmic Entity's intervention is that she is immune to precognition - the Simurgh has to indirectly track her by her jet wash, which has a lag time.
- Blessed with Suck: Tattletale's second trigger lets her gather information far faster than before, but is likely to get her killed from My Skull Runneth Over if not managed right.
- Composite Character: Though this fic mainly runs on the comics continuity, Jarvis here is the films' AI rendition rather than a human.
- Death of Personality: Taylor is fighting an ongoing battle to prevent herself from being overwritten by Tony's personality even as she tries to make use of his abilities and knowledge.
- De-Power: Taylor has developed nanobots, probably a variant of S.P.I.N. tech, that interfere with the Corona Pollentia in Parahumans, effectively canceling their abilities without harming them.
- For Want of a Nail: When heading to Canberra for the fight against the Simurgh, Panacea receives one of Iron Man's Psionic Dampeners by sheer chance. She keeps it after the battle, and over time she realizes the influence Glory Girl's aura has on her, and how narrowly the Dampener has saved her from doing something horrible.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Discussed in chapter 30 by Jarvis, who applauds Danny having doubts and calling for restraint, since Taylor and co. fully casting aside moral fetters and being consumed by the self-righteousness of their cause will lead to them becoming little better than the villains they're fighting.
- Hidden Villain: Though readers familiar with Worm know from metaknowledge the identity of the enemy Taylor was given Tony's abilities to fight, his identity has not yet been revealed in this story, leaving Taylor and co. groping in the dark.
- Iron Woobie: This is Taylor's In-Universe evaluation of Tony - someone who gets up to fight despite hurting badly inside.
- Mêlée à Trois: At the end of chapter 20 almost all the major gangs in Brockton Bay are converging on the HTech factory, with this as the most likely result.
- Outside Context Hero: In chapter 29, Alexandria mentions this almost directly when she states that just when she thinks she's got a handle on Iron Man, he proceeds to do things that "don't make sense within the context" of what she knows.
- Required Secondary Powers:
- Quite a bit of the fic is dedicated to discussing the need for Taylor to gather resources and develop appropriate tools and subsystems in order to recreate the technology Tony had.
- Defied with the mass production Iron Legionnaire suits. One of the key selling points Taylor offers to the US military is the fact that they don't need special training to maintain or operate, which cannot be said for most Tinkertech. This is explicitly demonstrated when she rejects the top pilots the military intended as testers in favour of ordinary line troopers, who still manage to quickly learn the ropes anyway, then offers a suit to the motor pool to fiddle with. No matter what abuse it gets put through, it still remains within the ability of non-superpowered mechanics to work with.
- Sarcasm Failure: In chapter 29, when Jarvis suggests that Taylor is at the appropriate age to begin looking into romance, even Tony's wit isn't enough to help her devise an appropriate comeback.
- Showy Invincible Hero: Taylor slowly moves in this direction as she recreates more of Tony's tech. Justified as Marvel-616's power level is higher than Worm's and the Cosmic Entity granted her Tony's knowledge not to play with normal parahumans but rather to destroy the Endbringers and Scion.
- Somebody Else's Problem: Discussed and defied in chapter three, where Taylor resolves that she has no excuse for not helping another person out given how she's been on the receiving end of this so often.