Fanfic / Ebony Darkness Dementia Raven Way Vs Canon
Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way vs. Canon
is a Harry Potter
fanfiction by Cookie VanDeKamp. It can be read here.
The story begins on a normal day for Ron, Hermione, and Harry. And then... a certain Mary Sue shows up.
After a few chapters of watching Ebony torment the students of Hogwarts, the Trio, Ginny, Luna, and Draco make it their business to get rid of her, once and for all.
The sequel, Sapphire Eleanor Rose Suzette de Mont vs. Canon
) shakes up the formula a bit. A new Mary Sue arrives, but this one is of the Incorruptible Pure Pureness
variety. Once again, the Hogwarts students decide to get rid of her, but it turns out the MSEA (Mary Sue Extermination Association) had the same idea. The two groups join forces. Partway through this story, the series was titled The MSEA Files
The third entry, The MSEA Reloaded
, can be found here.
Prior the posting of Reloaded
, the author also launched a Tumblr blog for the MSEA Files here.
There, she posts Useless MSEA Facts, which is Exactly What It Says on the Tin
Tropes found in these fanfics...
- Abusive Parents:
- Sapphire's adoptive father, though, this being a Sue, this fact is Played for Laughs.
- However, it's played dead serious with Monday Maynard, who is/was emotionally abusive to October.
- Action Girl: Plenty.
- Affably Evil: If you look over the fact that she helped unleash Ebony, Jenny isn't such a bad girl to be around.
- Alliterative Name: Aphrodite Adams
- Anticlimax: The defeat of Sapphire, once they finally catch up to her. Lampshaded by Draco.
- And I Must Scream: Trapping a Sue forever in a universe that doesn't exist.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Charlie's long, long, long list of charges include her throwing a guy's computer out the window ("It had badly written Johnlock on it!"), having a threesome with fictional characters, getting banned from Rio (twice), among others... and it ends with "pirating music."
- Artifact Title: The second story stops focusing on Sapphire messing with canon the second the MSEA is introduced.
- Awesome McCool Name: Appears to be a requirement to work for the MSEA. But, above all, October Harper Maynard.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: Aphrodite, October, Charlie.
- Luna, Hermione, Ginny.
- Tara, Jenny, The Anonymous
- Better Than a Bare Bulb: Most tropes that pop up are lampshaded. Repeatedly.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Brandon, of all people.
- Big Bad: Tara Gilesbe for the first one, with Jenny as The Dragon.
- There appears to be a new Big Bad for the second one, though we don't know who it is yet. Missy appears to be a spy for her.
- Big "WHAT?!": Charlie upon finding out October's mother is coming to visit.
- Bilingual Bonus: Draco delivered this with style.
Draco: Vous êtes un psychopathe. Je ne suis pas ton copain. Laissez-moi. S'il vous plaît. Translation: You're a psychopath. I'm not your boyfriend. Leave me alone. Please.
- Bittersweet Ending: The second one ends with Sapphire defeated and the Potter characters returned safely home, but with Missy, Jenny, Tara, and the Anonymous still on the loose, and the MSEA questioning their own morality.
- BFG: Charlie has a couple.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Jenny, who turns out to be a pretty nasty piece of work.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: "A lot of people got injured... I lost one of my guns... Aphrodite nearly broke her toe... I had to make another deal with Satan..."
- The Bus Came Back: Jenny returns in Chapter 14 of Sapphire, and Tara is mentioned.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Hoo, boy. Ebony vs. Canon is completely wacky humor, Sapphire vs. Canon starts out this way but turns into a Dramedy halfway through, and now Reloaded is a Dramedy that's very heavy on the "drama" side, with only a few jokes to keep it from being a straight up drama.
- Cluster SOB Bomb: October in chapter 6. In fact, for half the chapter, "son of a bitch" is all she says.
- She also says "shit!" a total of eight times in a row when she realizes she and her team aren't alone in the Room of Requirement.
- Cute Witch: Aphrodite, who is very good at magic and spells. She's not quite old enough to be a Hot Witch yet.
- Darker and Edgier: MSEA Reloaded retains the humorous nature, but also deals with an emotionally abusive mother, the MSEA falling apart at the seams, and the possibility of a freaking civil war.
- Deadpan Snarker: Almost everyone is this at some point.
- Deal with the Devil: Charlie's made these more than once.
- Demoted to Extra: The canon Harry Potter characters become this in the sequel, despite being initially established as the protagonists in Chapter 1. Even though they tag along with the MSEA, they still barely say anything and do nothing for the story.
- Dragon-in-Chief: Jenny is far smarter, and thus, more dangerous than Tara.
- Enemy Mine: Harry and co. call a truce with Draco so they can take out Ebony (and later, Sapphire).
- Establishing Character Moment: In universe example. The first thing Victoria ever sees Charlie do in Reloaded is crash her motorcylce into a car and not seeming to notice or care.
- Evil Duo: Tara and Jenny.
- The Faceless: The Anonymous, who always keeps her face hidden, even from Missy.
- Fair-Play Villain: Tara and Jenny, but mostly Jenny.
- Five-Bad Band:
- Five-Man Band: The MSEA:
- Foil: Sapphire for Ebony. Both are Sues, but in completely different ways.
- For the Evulz: Jenny admits to having helped write My Immortal just for shits and giggles. Tara, on the other hand, is just that stupid.
- Gilligan Cut: About the Harry Potter characters helping the MSEA:
October: The answer is no, and that's final.
Ginny: (clears throat)
- And in the third story, when October is trying to convince Monday that her team is full of good workers, it cuts to Aphrodite and Charlie having a drinking contest.
- Girl Friday: Gigi, whose main roles in the MSEA are to transport other exterminators, track Sues, and keep an eye on Missy.
- Graceful Loser: After they are defeated, Jenny and Tara don't do much of anything besides say, "Not cool!" and then seem to leave it at that.
- Gray Eyes: October, showing her strong-willed nature and dedication to her work.
- Guns Akimbo: Charlie holds a pistol in each hand during her first encounter with Sapphire.
- The Gunslinger: Charlie
- Here We Go Again: Ebony vs. Canon ends with a new Mary Sue showing up in her place.
- Hostile Show Takeover: Tara barges into the narrator's office and takes over the fic for a chapter. The narrator still manages to get a few snarky comments in, though.
- Hypocritical Humor: October has a strict "no swearing on the job" policy, and is show enforcing it, getting annoyed with Charlie for saying "hell" while she's on-duty. When Sapphire is revealed to be a Reality Warper, she lets out a "Oh, son of a bitch!" And she keeps on repeating the line for a good half-chapter or so.
- She also says "Shit!" eight times in a row in chapter five. Brandon, of course, calls her out on this.
- Missy claims that she is no kind of traitor. You know. After she burned down the MSEA headquarters and revealed herself to be working for the Big Bad.
Gigi: ...Tell me she didn't just say that.
- I Have to Go Iron My Dog: Hermione uses "We have to go floss our rabbits," to make a quick getaway from Sapphire.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Sapphire, what with being a Purity Sue and all.
- Interactive Narrator
- The Intern: Missy Shadows, a high school student interning for the MSEA.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Missy and Jenny both bring up a few good points.
- Joker Jury: Made up of Mary Sues.
- Kangaroo Court: In Chapter 15 of Sapphire. Tara is the judge, and that's just the beginning...
- The Lad-ette: Charlie, with everything from her Weapon of Choice to her name.
- Last-Name Basis: October calls her team by their last names while she's on the job, but as shown with a couple lines, this isn't the case when she's off-duty.
- Lemony Narrator
- List of Transgressions: See "Long List."
- Long List: All the charges Charlie has racked up, to the point where the Narrator encourages the reader to go ahead and take a shower while Missy reads them out.
- Mean Boss: Despite being a good guy, October is very strict and cold to her employees.
- The Mole: Missy is apparently working for the Big Bad.
- Mood Whiplash: Sapphire vs. Canon starts off as another humorous parody, but this time with an entire team of Mary Sue exterminators! Oh, and by the way, one of the interns for the MSEA is a traitor. Also, the HQ just caught on fire.
- Mooks: Teenage boys sent by the Anonymous to capture the MSEA. They aren't even given names; they're just called the Jerks.
- Motive Rant: Missy to October in chapter 13 of Sapphire.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Every time a Mary Sue dies, a new one is born in it's place. And the Sue that replaced Ebony is even WORSE.
- No Fourth Wall
- Non-Action Guy: Brandon
- Noodle Incident: Seems to be a bit of a Running Gag with Charlie.
- Not So Stoic: October when the HQ burns down.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Charlie's real name is Charlotte, but no one ever calls her that.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: If Charlie appears to be bothered by something, something really bad is going down.
- And if October shows emotion beyond being annoyed, something's gone wrong.
- Persona Non Grata: Charlie is forbidden to enter the Sherlock universe ever again. For some reason.
- And she's banned from Rio, too.
- Pun: After Ebony suggests Frenching passively to Draco, he starts insulting her in French. Passively.
- Purple Prose: Whenever a Sue's outfit is described. Played for Laughs and often lampshaded.
- Reality Warper: Sapphire
- Serious Business: Apparently, RP is this to Brandon.
- Fanfic and fanart are this to the entire MSEA, due to the fact that their job is to rid the world of Mary Sues and maintain peace between fandoms.
- Sequel Hook: The epilogue of Ebony vs. Canon has Sapphire arrive.
- The author mentioned that there will be a third one.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Draco, towards Ebony. Justified, as, well, she isn't. Good luck telling her that, though.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: Missy.
- Something Completely Different: Interlude: the Madness of Tara Gilesbe.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: The entire MSEA in the sequel, who, five chapters in, no less, replace the original heroes of the story, without any warning whatsoever.
- Take That!: During the scene where Jenny and Missy toss insult back and forth, Missy ends the argument by calling Jenny the gravest insult of all: Wesley.
- Teens Are Monsters: Jenny and Tara
- This Is Gonna Suck: Hermione's reaction to meeting Sapphire.
- October says this, word-for-word, when she finds out how hard it's gonna be to get rid of Sapphire.
- Tomboyish Name: Charlotte "Charlie" Duncan.
- Tonight, Someone Dies: In an author's note during Sapphire, the author rather casually mentioned that a main character would die in Reloaded. Now that Reloaded has been put up, we just have to wait and see who.
- Town Girls: The three main female members of the MSEA. Aphrodite is the femme one, Charlie is the butch one, and October is the neutral one.
- Trigger Happy: Charlie
- Verbal Business Card: Courtesy of Charlie.
- Villain Episode: Chapter 11 of Sapphire focuses solely on Missy, the Anonymous, and their efforts to get other bad fanfic writers to band together.
- Volleying Insults: Jenny and Missy in Chapter 14 of Sapphire.
- Weapon of Choice: A BFG for Charlie, magic for Aphrodite.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Missy.
- Arguably, the MSEA as whole.
- Wham Line: Chapter 9 of Sapphire:
Gigi: Something's happened. The HQ caught on fire. Only one out of six people made it out.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Deconstructed with the MSEA's attitude towards Sues, which are sentient beings. Hermione at one point says killing a Sue is basically like killing a rat, to which Missy replies, "Is there really much difference between a human and a rat?" Indeed, many Suethors seem to feel the MSEA's killing of their Sues is cruel and unjust.
- World of Snark
- You Can Panic Now
- You Can't Handle the Parody: Between Missy and October in Sapphire. Takes it even further by having Missy launch into a Motive Rant that's a clear homage to A Few Good Men.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Aphrodite's electric blue hair