Music: Joss Stone
Devon is not a place renowned for its contribution to the soul music business. Well, with one exception- Joss Stone. She has two Brit Awards and a Grammy to her name.Jocelyn Eve Stoker (born 11 April 1987), better known by her stage name Joss Stone, is an English soul singer, songwriter and actress. Stone rose to fame in late 2003 with her multi-platinum debut album, The Soul Sessions, which made the 2004 Mercury Prize shortlist. Her second album, the equally multi-platinum Mind Body & Soul, topped the UK Albums Chart for one week and spawned the top ten hit "You Had Me", Stone's most successful single on the UK Singles Chart to date. Both album and single each received one nomination at the 2005 Grammy Awards, while Stone herself was nominated for Best New Artist, and in an annual BBC poll of music critics, Sound of 2004 was ranked fifth as a predicted breakthrough act of 2004. She became the youngest British female singer to top the UK Albums Chart in history to have her first album at number one. In early 2009, she joined the eclectic supergroup Super Heavy (2001-Present).Stone's third album, Introducing Joss Stone, released in March 2007, achieved gold record status by the RIAA and yielded the second-ever highest debut for a British female solo artist on the Billboard 200, which became Stone's first Top 5 album in the United States and first non-Top 10 album in the United Kingdom. Stone released her fourth album, Colour Me Free!, on 20 October 2009, which reached the Top 10 on Billboard. Stone released her fifth album, LP 1, on 22 July 2011, which reached the Top 10 on Billboard.Throughout her career, Stone has sold 13 million albums, establishing herself as one of the best-selling artists of her time, best-selling soul artists of the 2000s and best-selling British artists of her time. Her first three albums have sold over 2,722,000 copies in the United States, while her first two albums have sold over 2,000,000 copies in United Kingdom. The Soul Sessions Volume 2, a sequel to her debut album, dropped in July 2012. She's also done a bit of acting- including The Tudors as Anne of Cleves and a voice part in the new James Bond video game, Blood StoneShe Does Not Like Shoes, frequently performing barefoot.Not to be confused with Joss Whedon.
- The Soul Sessions (2003)
- Mind Body & Soul (2004)
- Introducing Joss Stone (2007)
- Colour Me Free! (2009)
- L P 1 (2011)
- The Soul Sessions Volume 2 (2012)
This musician contains examples of:
- Bowdlerize: The Band Hero version of "You Had Me" bizarrely does this to the word "wasted".
- Break Up Song: "You Had Me."
- Cover Version: Did an album of them.
- Genre Throwback: One of the leading forces of Neo Soul.
- Important Haircut: In 2006, she dyed her hair brown. The label protested, and she replied by dying it pink in protest.
- The Cover Changes the Gender: Her cover of "Fell In Love With A Girl" by The White Stripes.
- Singing Voice Dissonance: Sings like an American Black woman. Talks like a British girl.
- Super Group: In a group with Mick Jagger.