Fan Fic / Battle Of The Luminaries
The Battle of the Luminaries is a Spin-Off
of a popular fanfic called the Ultimate Video Rumble
. It is a Mega Crossover
tournament fanfic with several franchises entering. Most of them are from fighting games but some are not. The goal works similar to a Royal Rumble in wrestling. A series of fighters enter the ring and fight each other until only one remains. It is also a votefic where the readers can choose who they want to see move on and who they want to be eliminated. In every "Section", they can be only be thirty fighters at a time and when a certain of people had been eliminated, the next Section starts with new fighters coming out until thirty come out. This continues until there is one sole winner.
Along with the main tournament, they are also "Side Battles" where people could vote on outside of the arena. The Side Battles usually revolve around a plot where there is a conspiracy between villains and a Ragtag Bunch of Misfits
have to stop it before things get out of hand.
The winner of the first Battle of the Luminaries is Pikachu from Pokémon
The Battle of the Luminaries had been inspired by the Megamix Tournament
, one of the most popular UVR spin-off. Because of that, there will a lot of references to that fanfic in this story.
The first tournament is complete while a second is in progress and can be found here: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/642853/Tinyrocket
These stories provide examples of...
- Accidental Pervert: This happens TWICE in the story. Wario had (mistakenly) thrown Rock Howard onto Rainbow Dash. By the time, Rock realized who he landed on, he was rubbing the pony's rear and before he had a chance to explain himself, Rainbow quickly eliminated him. Later, Shoma Sawamura had been knocked away from a brainwashed Caius Qualls onto Rouge. Just like with Rock, Shoma didn't realized that he was grabbing Rouge's breasts and was quickly eliminated.
- Author Avatar: The author of the story is also the main host of the tournament. It is also worth noting that the author of the Megamix Tournament is one of the two co-hosts.
- Badass Adorable: Most of the current holders for the highest amount of eliminations are this. Particularly, Lucas, Yoshi and of course, Rainbow Dash.
- Looks like Pikachu is starting to turn into this as well.
- His baby form Pichu is also becoming this.
- Averted and played straight with the case of Captain Olimar. While he's not exactly cute, the Pikmin he has are completely adorable!
- Berserk Button: Don't use items when Barbatos Goetia is close-by. Link and Waluigi learned that the hard way.
- Big Bad: M. Bison is the leader around the main conspiracy.
- Big Damn Heroes: Invoked by a Ragtag Bunch of Misfits who tries to save the tournament from the conspiracy.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: A few fighters had been kidnapped and brainwashed by Kurow Kirishima
- Butt Monkey: Whenever something other than a fighter falls out of the ring, it usually lands in Angela Anaconda causing Nanette Manoir, the main antagonist of that cartoon, some kind of misery.
- Combat Medic: Five of the invited fighters are some of the tournament doctors.
- Dojikko: Mignon Beart and Colette Brunel entered the section at the same time and quickly befriended each other due to their similar traits. ESPECIALLY their clumsiness.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Princess Peach had been doing this in the bar ever since she had found out that her own friends had been hosting secret Mario Party games whenever she is not around due to her being an infamous cheap player. She even comes complete with a classic I'll Tell You When I've Had Enough! moment.
- Epic Fail: Link, Lucario, Metaknight and Patamon worked together to stop The Witch from killing someone. However, they ended up either eliminating or angering the very bystanders they were trying to protect.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: Guilmon's nose is quite useful for tracking down villains.
- Five-Man Band
- The security team is a textbook example:
- Green-Eyed Monster: How Kurow Kirishima was able to brainwash so many people. By taking advantage of their jealousy whether it would be that one party is getting more work than they are.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Oh, very much.
- MacGuffin: One of the main plots of the story is a red light that holds incredible power. It is actually made up of several power-up items in various video games and it is created by Dr. Eggman Nega. Solid Snake's group initial goal is to find it before the villains do.
- Mega Crossover: Excluding the number of Mystery Fighters that appeared throughout, there are characters from Street Fighter EX, King of Fighters: Maximum Impact, Super Smash Bros., Tales of..., Sonic the Hedgehog, Crash Bandicoot, Rival Schools, Power Stone, Waku Waku 7, Guilty Gear, Blazblue, and Digimon.
- The second tournament took out Rival Schools, Power Stone and Guilty Gear, and added Spyro the Dragon, Darkstalkers, Saturday Night Slam Masters, Soul Calibur 4, Persona4, and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- The Mystery Fighters in the first tournament included... Suikoden III, Marvelvs Capcom 2, Soul Calibur, Fighting Vipers, Banjo-Kazooie, Rakugakids, Road Rovers, Bubsy, Tekken 3, Beauty and the Beast, Marvel Universe, Darkstalkers, Lollipop Chainsaw, Final Fantasy IV, Kingdom Hearts, Persona3, Warzard, Final Fight, Skullgirls, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Real Bout Fatal Fury 2, Sailor Moon, My Sims, Saturday Night Slam Masters, Sly Cooper, Spyro the Dragon, Kung Fu Panda, WWE, Kirby, Valkyria Chronicles, pop'n music 14, and Left 4 Dead.
- The Mystery Fighters in the second tournament included... Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Suikoden V, Bubsy, Talespin, Animaniacs, Savage Dragon, Rage Of The Dragons, Fire Emblem Tellius, Left 4 Dead, Guilty Gear, Arcana Heart, Power Stone, Streets of Rage, Pokémon, Sly Cooper, Mortal Kombat, Power Instinct, Tekken 5, Teen Titans, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Mega Man 10, Comix Zone, Metal Gear Solid, Transformers, Wreck-It Ralph, SNK Gals Fighters and Battletoads.
- The security team from both the first and second tournaments has characters from Tekken, Black And Bruised, Street Fighter, Spyro the Dragon, Persona4, Fire Emblem Awakening; Suikoden III, Tales of Vesperia; Team Fortress 2; Garou: Mark Of The Wolves, and Final Fantasy IX.
- The Mole: Faust had joined the villains to figure out some kind of pain Blaze the Cat had been going through.
- Mythology Gag: There are LOADS of these from the Megamix Tournament. It is quite hard to choose where to start.
- The owner of the Megamix Tournament had loaned the Megamix Dome which the Megamix Tournament was held to the main host for his own tournament.
- Due to previously being a group that stopped a conspiracy, Ally Gator took leadership of the security team due to her being so knowledgeable about the tournament.
- The lady at the lobby counter, the man at the restaurant and the bartender at the bar complained about the Side Battles that were appearing in their respective places wishing that it would be different from the Megamix Tournaments.
- Shadow the Hedgehog and Astaroth have an Odd Friendship due to working the Sound Booth at the Megamix Tournament along with Aila
- M. Bison's plans had caused Geese Howard, Knuckles the Echidna and Bowser quite a lot of trouble and they attacked when they were in the same section as him.
- Speaking of Bowser, in the second Megamix Tournament, a lot of people was interrupting his fights. He mentioned this when Undertaker and Wolf O'Donnell helped him fight off M.Bison
- Quite a few people were still ticked at May for eliminating the first champion of the Fanfic/Megamix Tournament, Kasumi Todoh by faking unconsciousness. Fortunately for her, the scorn was no where as bad as at the time.
- Popularity Power: Rainbow Dash is an example of this trope, as the votes have allowed her to last TEN sections so far AND score FIFTEEN eliminations. Even the hosts notice this. She finally gets eliminated in Section Thirteen... ten sections from where she originally started.
- Not just characters, but sub-nodes for the main nodes as well. Super Smash Bros has gotten NINETY-FIVE eliminations, and Pokémon was one of the many sub-nodes that holds thirty-three of those eliminations.
- Punch Clock Villain: Dingodile decided to play hooky from the main villains so he could focus more on the tournament.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits
- Red Herring: In the first tournament, the group led by Solid Snake thought that the villains wanted to kidnap him because he was one of the first people to interfered with their plans. Turns out it was Luigi they were after.
- In the second tournament, the security team thought that Gabumon was the main target of the main villains after the Digimon had reported being attacked by Jumbo Flapjack earlier. However, Jumbo was working for the group run by Cruella De Vil and Hyena instead whose plans are completely different from the main ones.
- Running Gag: At least one or more characters land in one of the nine Mario Party games every section.
- In the second Battle of the Luminaries, one or more characters land in the world of Pokémon.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Luigi and Solid Snake respectively.
- There Is Another: One of the main plots during the second tournament is that Nightmare wishes to steal the soul of one sole person because that person had not only wielded Soul Calibur before but he could also wield it BETTER than the original owner, Siegfried. It turned out to be Veigue Lungberg
- Token Evil Teammate: Astaroth only joined the team to stop the villains because his friend, Shadow the Hedgehog convinces him that he can go nuts with them. Bean the Dynamite can also be seen as this though he is not really evil, just bomb-crazy.
- Token Good Teammate: Tiny Tiger is portrayed as Ambiguously Evil thinking that his boss, Dr. Cortex is the good guy and Crash Bandicoot is the bad guy. He proved this by keeping Dingodile's hooky game a secret, being protective over his boss' niece, Nina and helped Blaze the Cat when she was in pain due to a amount of dangerous power in her body.
- Unexpected Character: Most of the Mystery Fighters are portrayed this way.
- What the Hell, Hero??: After Solid Snake's team captured Momo Karuizawa and a Brainwashed and Crazy Wave the Swallow, tied them up and put them in a boiler room, Momo called the team out for doing it for a little girl and question their status as heroes. Snake merely replied with his famous line, "I'm no hero. Never was, never will be."
- While on the subject, when the group leaves Momo, they completely forget about the same brainwashed Wave. When Jet the Hawk found out after Tails, Gemel and Bean the Dynamite rescued him and Storm, he freaked out and called Tails out for his negligence.
- You Have GOT To Be Kidding Me: This is how Asch, Crunch, and Sol Badguy react when Rainbow Dash arrives, each of them saying part of this phrase.