Voiced by: Yukiko Takaguchi (JP), Hannah Alcorn (EN)The female lead. Sunako is a girl who usually locks herself away inside her room and chooses to live without any desire for light or beauty after a traumatic experience when she was rejected and told that she was ugly by her first love.
- The Ace: When Sunako tries, she can be decently good at almost anything - even the more feminine arts. The trick is getting her to care.
- Action Girl: Can out run, out jump and beat up most characters. She's a good fit for Kyohei in that way.
- Allergic to Love: She completely freaks out, nosebleeds to the point of hemorrhage and passes out whenever she sees "bright creatures."
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Whenever she gains enough confidence, she breaks out of her Super-Deformed mode and becomes a beautiful pale-skinned girl with long black hair and an aloof and graceful attitude.
- Battle Couple: With Kyohei.
- Beautiful All Along: Whenever she gains enough confidence to break out of her Super-Deformed mode.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Kyohei.
- Bifauxnen: In Chapter 73.
- Birds of a Feather: Superficial differences aside she's very similar to Kyohei.
- Blinding Bangs
- Broken Bird: She actually was a normal and cheery teenage girl. After her first love called her ugly, she turned into the gloomy and creepy girl we know well.
- Oddly enough besides general misanthropy and painful shyness, she's not unhappy. She met her first love again and turned out to have partly forgotten about the incident. It seems that besides the initial hurt, this is who she is and she's mostly ok with that.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Even the Girls Want Her: Hilariously enough Kyohei's goth stalker fan club ends up falling for her.
- Everybody Hates Mathematics: Math is the only subject in which she doesn't get good grades.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest
- Friend to All Children: Sunako bonds easily with children - she's notably more patient and understanding around them.
- The Heroine
- Hime Cut
- I Am Not Pretty
- Lonely Doll Girl: Has two anatomical dolls that she considers to be her friends.
- Loners Are Freaks
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Nosebleed: Her reaction to seeing "Bright Creatures".
- Oblivious to Love
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: To Kyohei.
- The Ophelia: A comedic parody of this.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia: She went into severe catatonia after her kiss with Kyohei, and often doesn't even need another kiss to go into it again, now.
- Purple Eyes
- Rapunzel Hair
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Made clear even in the first chapter
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl: She is frequently mistaken for one.
- Super-Deformed: Almost all the time.
- Supreme Chef
- Sweet Tooth: Loves chocolate. At one point she has to be forcibly put on a diet cause she gained weight.
- Tomboy: Though she isn't exactly into traditionally boy activities, she avoids traditionally girl activities in every way and loves anything creepy.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Noi's Girly Girl.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Although not exactly a girly girl, she has surprising domestic skills.
- Tsundere: Sometimes towards Kyohei.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter: When we finally meet her parents.
- Used to Be More Social: Before her first love rejected her, she used to hang out with other girls normally. Now she'd rather to shut herself in her room and talk to her anatomical dolls than getting close to real people.
- Weakened by the Light: And by bright creatures
- Will They or Won't They?: With Kyohei, to ridiculous heights.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She is supposed to become one, she has the domestic skills and looks (when she isn't drawn chibi-style) but she's made the conscious decision to let all the other traits slide due to first reject trauma.
- Yandere: She tries to kill people she's attracted to.
- Abusive Parents: His mother only yells at him, blames him for the constant harassment he attracts to the house and effectively threw him out of the house when she couldn't take it anymore.
- Subverted in chapter 119, when it's revealed that her abuse was mostly Anger Born of Worry
- Battle Couple: With Sunako.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Sunako.
- Big Eater: Loves shrimp and fried things and meat and generally unhealthy food.
- Birds of a Feather: With Sunako.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Is effortlessly amazing at sports and hinted to be smarter than you'd expect. It's just that he's lazy, selfish and easily distracted so he never applies himself.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He was stalked, kidnapped, and molested continuously, starting from when he was a child.
- Even the Guys Want Him: And how
- Favors for the Sexy: As much as he hates his looks, Kyohei is not above accepting favors and (especially) food for being beautiful.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Rape as Backstory: Heavily implied to be the case, as he's said to have been constantly harassed and molested his entire life. Revealed to be a Bait-and-Switch in volume 35, in which Ranmaru correctly surmises that he's a virgin.
- The Lancer: He's the main lead but usually too irresponsible and manchildish to be a proper leader.
- Manchild: As constantly lampshaded, Kyohei can be very immature at times.
- Oblivious to Love: Not quite as bad as Sunako (he realized that he liked her way before she did) but people had to beat him over the head with the idea.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: To Sunako.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: He gets sexually harassed so much that he can't hold onto a job for long at all.
- Through His Stomach: He denies that he has feelings for Sunako, but admits that he likes her cooking.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Strawberries. His love for Fried Shrimp seems to be more prevalent though.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: Whenever he becomes a Nice Guy, people usually end up freaking out and demanding this.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Sunako, to ridiculous heights.
- Beta Couple: With Noi.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Sometimes with Noi.
- The Smart Guy
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- Arranged Marriage: With Tamao.
- The Big Guy
- The Casanova
- Commitment Issues: Tried to break Tamao's heart to get her away from him.
- Handsome Lech
- Ladykiller in Love: It's hinted that he is becoming this in regards to his arranged fiancée, Tamao.
- Millionaire Playboy
- Tsundere: Will occasionally act like this when he refuses to acknowledge that he likes Tamao.
Yukinojo "Yuki" Toyama
Voiced by: Yamauchi Yuuya (JP), Greg Ayres (EN)The most "normal" of the four boys; before coming to live at the mansion he had a normal school life with a middle-class family. His mother and the Landlady are old friends and the Landlady, and Sunako at times, has a soft spot for Yuki.
- Adorkable: He's sometimes a bit childish and awkward, adding to his appeal.
- Big Brother Instinct: Has a little brother and sister (who are twins), and he absolutely adores them (and they adore him right back).
- Birds of a Feather: With his girlfriend Machiko.
- Bishōnen: Though he's more "cute" than "pretty-boyish" or "handsome".
- The Heart
- Nice Guy
- Only Sane Man: While he still has his fair share of quirks, then Yuki will usually serve as the voice of reason.
- Poor Communication Kills: Can occasionally say thoughtless things around his girlfriend which she then blows completely out of proportion due to low self-esteem issues.
- Sweet Tooth: He loves sweets.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Frequently finds himself having to dress up like a girl, whether for disguises or to trick someone.
- Beta Couple: With Takenaga.
- Nice Girl
- Shipper on Deck: For Kyohei and Sunako.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Sometimes with Takenaga.
- Sixth Ranger
- Smitten Teenage Girl
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: Her efforts to get Sunako and Kyohei together are ripped straight from cheesy romance mangas.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Sunako's Tomboy. She's also the Tomboy to Tamao Kikunoi
Mine Nakahara (The Landlady)
Voiced by: Yuka Komatsu (JP), Tiffany Grant (EN)Sunako's aunt, who expects Kyohei, Takenaga, Yuki, and Ranmaru to make Sunako into a lady.
- Eccentric Millionaire
- Large Ham
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- Purple Eyes
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: This is how she feels about Sunako and the reason she wants the guys to "fix" her.
- Widow Woman
Voiced by: Erika (JP), Luci Christian (EN)Ranmaru's fiancée. She is extremely wealthy and studies at an all-girls school. Despite Ranmaru's playboy qualities, she has fallen in love with him. His rejection of her does not faze her, hoping that eventually he would come to feel the same way.
- Arranged Marriage: With Ranmaru.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Whenever she's around, she's the girly girl to pretty much everyone else.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Sweet and demure, but also has the subtle touch of strength too.
Yvonne is voiced by: Nina Kumagaya (JP), Kira Vincent-Davis (EN, Epi. 1-9), Allison Sumrall (EN, Epi. 10-25)
Madeleine is voiced by: Kimiko Koyama (JP), Tiffany Terrell (EN)
Roxane is voiced by: Erika (JP), Monica Passley (EN)Four girls who are completely obsessed with the main boys of the series.