A list of characters from The Wallflower
Voiced by: Yukiko Takaguchi (JP), Hannah Alcorn (EN)
The female lead. Sunako is a girl who usually locks herself away inside her room and chooses to live without any desire for light or beauty after a traumatic experience when she was rejected and told that she was ugly by her first love.
- Action Girl
- Allergic to Love
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Whenever she gains enough confidence, she breaks out of her Super-Deformed mode and becomes a beautiful pale-skinned girl with long black hair and an aloof and graceful attitude.
- Battle Couple: With Kyohei.
- Beautiful All Along: Whenever she gains enough confidence to break out of her Super-Deformed mode.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Kyohei.
- Bifauxnen: In Chapter 73.
- Birds of a Feather: With Kyohei.
- Blinding Bangs
- Broken Bird: She actually was a normal and cheery teenage girl. After her first love called her ugly, she turned into the gloomy and creepy girl we know well.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Even the Girls Want Her
- Everybody Hates Mathematics: Math is the only subject in which she doesn't get good grades.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest
- The Heroine
- Hime Cut
- I Am Not Pretty
- Lonely Doll Girl: Has two anatomical dolls that she considers to be her friends.
- Loners Are Freaks
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Nosebleed: Her reaction to seeing "Bright Creatures".
- Oblivious to Love
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: To Kyohei.
- The Ophelia: A comedic parody of this.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia: She went into severe catatonia after her kiss with Kyohei, and often doesn't even need another kiss to go into it again, now.
- Purple Eyes
- Rapunzel Hair
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- She Cleans Up Nicely
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl: She is frequently mistaken for one.
- Super-Deformed: Almost all the time.
- Supreme Chef
- Sweet Tooth
- Tomboy: Though she isn't exactly into traditionally boy activities, she avoids traditionally girl activities in every way and loves anything creepy.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Noi's Girly Girl.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Although not exactly a girly girl, she has surprising domestic skills.
- Tsundere: Sometimes towards Kyohei.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter: When we finally meet her parents.
- Used To Be More Social: Before her first love rejected her, she used to hang out with other girls normally. Now she'd rather to shut herself in her room and talk to her anatomical dolls than getting close to real people.
- Weakened by the Light
- Will They or Won't They?: With Kyohei, to ridiculous heights.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She is supposed to become one, she has the domestic skills and looks (when she isn't drawn chibi-style) but she's made the conscious decision to let all the other traits slide due to first reject trauma.
- Yandere: She tries to kill people she's attracted to.
The male lead. The most popular and physically attractive of the four boys. Kyohei is initially seen as selfish, blunt, and demanding and has no inclination to be gentle towards Sunako unless it will reduce rent, but eventually develops feelings for her.
The most intellectual of the four. Takenaga was originally from a wealthy family descended from flower masters, but when the pressure of being the family heir was too much, he became completely withdrawn and ignored everyone. He was sent to live at the Landlady's mansion in hopes of becoming more "normal".
A ladies' man, Ranmaru is often going out with various beautiful older (and often married) women. The very sight of Sunako initially has him breaking out in hives, but when her true beauty is revealed, he decides that she has "potential" to become a real lady. Like Takenaga, he comes from a wealthy family (who own a series of hotel chains), but was sent to live with the Landlady because he exploited his wealth and his parents wanted him to become "normal".
Yukinojo "Yuki" Toyama
The most "normal" of the four boys; before coming to live at the mansion he had a normal school life with a middle-class family. His mother and the Landlady are old friends and the Landlady, and Sunako at times, has a soft spot for Yuki.
Takenaga's girlfriend. She is pretty and exceedingly popular. Noi is Sunako's closest friend at school, where Sunako is scorned for her terrifying demeanor and association with the boys. She admires Sunako's tough attitude and also believes that Sunako and Kyohei are compatible as a couple.
Mine Nakahara (The Landlady)
Sunako's aunt, who expects Kyohei, Takenaga, Yuki, and Ranmaru to make Sunako into a lady.
Ranmaru's fiancée. She is extremely wealthy and studies at an all-girls school. Despite Ranmaru's playboy qualities, she has fallen in love with him. His rejection of her does not faze her, hoping that eventually he would come to feel the same way.
Yvonne is voiced by: Nina Kumagaya (JP), Kira Vincent-Davis
(EN, Epi. 1-9), Allison Sumrall (EN, Epi. 10-25)
Roxane is voiced by: Erika (JP), Monica Passley (EN)
Four girls who are completely obsessed with the main boys of the series.