Characters: Wandering Son
Here's a list of characters and related tropes for the series Wandering Son.
- Voiced by: Kousuke Hatakeyama
- Attractive Bent-Gender: When she went to her elementary school reunion dressed in mostly masculine clothes with a short haircut she got a lot of attention from the girls. One of the girls from her elementary class even had a crush on her.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Shuuichi never becomes violent, but when she finally stands up for herself, she gets to tremendously break verbally her former bully, Doi, almost making him cry. She's actually incredibly tough, emotionally.
- Bokukko: Due to being raised as a boy, but she never changes her pronouns
- Chick Magnet
- The Cutie
- Delinquent Hair: Right before high school began she dyed her hair bright red, and this was how others reacted. Alas it only lasted one chapter.
- Even the Girls Want Her
- Expository Hair Style Change: Grew her hair out after hitting a depression, cut it even shorter than before due to the stigma of a boy having long hair.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Shown in early chapters to bake
- Expy: In terms of design she's this to the protagonist of an earlier manga by the mangaka.
- Fragile Flower: Lampshaded (rather cruelly) by Maho:Anna: ...I made your little brother cry.
Maho: Huh? Shu always cries.
- Height Angst: Becomes dysphoric over her height once she begins hitting growth spurts.
- In-Series Nickname: "Nitorin".
- Japanese Pronouns: "Boku".
- Meaningful Echo: Throughout the story, whenever she talks or confesses about her transgenderism, she always says, "I want to be a girl." But in the final line of the manga - the title of her book - she instead simply says, "I am a girl."
- Meaningful Rename: After finally deciding to transition at the end of the manga, she asks Yuki to give her a feminine name. She calls her "Lily".
- Official Couple: With Anna.
- Supreme Chef: When it comes to baking at least.
- Transsexual: Of the female-transitioning-from-male variety.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: With Maho.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Sorta. She's a soft-spoken, docile child who's good at baking and is quite feminine. She says what she feels and has spoken up for her friends at times. In later chapters she's begun to break more out of this trope but still fits.
- Voiced by: Asami Seto
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Or actually, Story Progression Dye Job. Takatsuki's hair was dark brown in the first two volumes before becoming the black we know of today.
- Played straight with his eyes. From black to gold.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: He looks very pretty during his runway walk during the cultural festival with Shuuichi. The judges for the modeling audition thought so too, and praised his good posture.
- Berserk Button: Bullying Shuuichi. Also, his period and, to a lesser extent, other physical or social aspects of femininity coming from his biologically being female. Teasing him about it made some boys in his elementary school seriously beaten. He's generally only tough in situations he feels pressured in.
- D-Cup Distress: He hates it when his breasts begin to grow. He even goes to buy a binder to flatten his chest so that he does not have to wear a bra.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Height Angst: He's tall for a girl but wishes he was taller
- Hot for Teacher: He seems a bit confused about whether it was a crush or not. He felt pressured by everyone else to have a crush on somebody, but other people thought he fell for a teacher in middle school.
- Japanese Pronouns: "Watashi".
- Kick the Dog: Telling Saori that her beloved Nitori-kun now dates Anna, and thus completely crushing the girl? Not cool, Takatsuki. He regrets it almost immediately, though
- No Periods, Period: Averted, and his Berserk Button.
- Platonic Life Partners: Seems to be this with Shuuichi. Averted in the end. She's grown distant from Nitori and has a crush on her.
- Real Men Wear Pink: If the colored art is to be believed Takatsuki has a thing for pastel colors. His hoodies are apparently pink. Could be his parents buying the clothes though.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: No, Shuuichi really isn't his girlfriend. And Chiba isn't his girlfriend either.
- Transsexual: Of the male-transitioning-from-female type. Eventually subverted.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Shuuichi. The legion of Shippers On Deck doesn't help. And then the Foe Yay tension with Chiba.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: At his first day in the high school to a girl named Kayoko Masuda. To be fair he is a boy, but no one can know that yet.
- Voiced by: Yuka Nanri
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her eyes are black past-elementary but the anime still has her with brown eyes
- Cannot Tell a Joke: She only tries once in the manga but her "joke" didn't come off as one and just created awkward silence.
- Characterization Marches On: A Justified case. In early volumes her personality was very different, but then, again - it is a story partially about how adolescence and circumstances in it can form child's character.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Though the series arguably shows both of the processes, frosting and defrosting, with the Ice Queen period during her middle school years.
- Dude Magnet
- Friendless Background: She can't get along neither with girls (except for Sasa) nor boys. When love problems appear and cause a rift between her and her two transgender friends, Saori ends pretty much alone, excluding her only cis girl friend and another trans girl. Some other people still keep trying to get close to her, but she isn't too willing to cooperate.
- The Friend Nobody Likes
- Girlish Pigtails: Wore them in middle school, and oddly only while at school; she had her usual cut when in casual clothes.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Her eye style changed early on. Originally she had the more wide-eyed expression everyone else does, though she eventually permanently changed. She essentially went from Tareme Eyes to Tsurime Eyes.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Toward Takatsuki.
- In-Series Nickname: At least Sasa calls her "Saorin".
- Japanese Christian
- Jerkass: Skirting a Jerkass Woobie line, but she certainly doesn't hesitate to throw tantrums all around her.
- Jerkass Has a Point: More often than not.
- Loners Are Freaks: During her middle school years. Though it's her will and difficult personality what makes her isolated.
- Also in elementary, until she met Nitori in fifth grade. It seems Saori doesn't make bonds much.
- Love Hurts: Arguably the biggest victim of this. She even can't stay as close to Shuuichi as she gets to be to Takatsuki and poor girl seems to be slightly afraid of her extreme personality.
- No Periods, Period: Averted.
- No Social Skills: Atypically, not Played for Laughs and not supposed to be cute.
- Official Couple: With Fumiya.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Single-Target Sexuality: For most of the manga she only has eyes for Nitorin.
- The Snark Knight
- Stepford Snarker
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Acts this way towards Shuuichi occasionally. Oka can tell a tale on that subject.
- Yandere: She doesn't go Ax-Crazy or outright psycho over her unrequited love, but sometimes loses it, and is the most realistic example available.
- Voiced by: Yuichi Iguchi
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her eyes went from brown to black
- Adorkable: Dear God, yes.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Not incredibly big but still larger than most of the other characters.
- Foil: To Nitori, being much more self-anxious and nervous about presenting as a girl.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Oka and a couple of male teachers.
- Hot for Teacher: Incurable case.
- Nerd Glasses: Originally.
- Odd Friendship: She gets along surprisingly well with Saori.
- Serious Business: Hair clippers and dressing up as girls.
- The Smart Girl: Perceptive and sometimes more self-confident than Shuuichi, she frequently supports and defends her from others' inadequate aggression, even cutting Maho's bullying of her sister and shutting her up once.
- Transsexual: Like Nitori, Makoto is a trans girl.
- Youthful Freckles
- Voiced by: Yui Horie
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Anna's eyes are brown in the manga, violet in the anime
- Bi the Way: Originally fell for Nitori as a boy but isn't against the idea of being seen as lesbian.
- If It's You, It's Okay: For Shuichi in the last chapter, declaring that she's a lesbian since Shuichi is a girl.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Mild. She finds some unusual things to be cute.
- Official Couple: With Shuichi.
- Shrinking Violet: Though you wouldn't guess at first glance.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Tsundere: It seems like she was this with Nitori but it's just her Sugar and Ice Personality showing.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Voiced by: Nana Mizuki
- Anguished Declaration of Love: To Seya.
- Ascended Fangirl: When makes it to the same model agency where Maiko-chan works.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: With Shuuichi and Seya, occasionally.
- Big Sister Bully
- Big Sister Instinct: She abuses Shuuichi constantly, but NOBODY (else) MESSES WITH HER SISTER!
- Bob Haircut
- Bratty Teenage Daughter
- Fangirl: THE fangirl of Maiko.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Hot for Teacher: In her first year of middle school she fell for an off-screen teacher; however, it matches the description of the teacher both Mako and Takatsuki seemed to like.
- Jerkass: Aside of Transgender problems and the lack of understanding from her environment, having this sister alone would gain Shuuichi status of The Woobie.
- Kick the Dog: About 90% of her treatment of Shuuichi. Though slightly justified in cases when her transitioning complicates her life, or when she tries her underwear on...
- No Periods, Period: Averted.
- Official Couple: With Seya (after some complications involving younger sister).
- Pet the Dog: Anytime she's nice to Shuuichi.
- Shipper on Deck: For Shuuichi and Anna.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: With Shuuichi. She even lampshades it, saying after the audition that they could've said that're twins.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Makoto gives Maho one of these, when witnessing her mistreatment of Shuuichi. Interestingly, having to deal with an assertive and self-confident girl so different from her sister, Maho cannot really tell him off.
- Voiced by: Takako Honda
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Brown eyes to red
- Cool Big Sis
- Genki Girl
- Hikikomori: She was one throughout most of middle school and high school.
- Meganekko: As a child she wore glasses but as an adult she doesn't.
- Mistaken for Cheating: When Shiina was first introduced he believed Yuki was cheating with Takatsuki, who couldn't have been older than 10 at the time.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Though she is rather touchy with Takatsuki and often teases him but it doesn't seem to be serious.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Yuki's full name is "Hiroyuki", and its implied she hasn't changed it yet.
- Shipper on Deck: Toward Shuuichi and Takatsuki.
- The Tease
- Technicolor Eyes: In the anime.
- Unkempt Beauty: She used to be very dressed up but has become more casual ever since meeting Takatsuki's and Nitori's 6th grade teacher.
- Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino
- The Bully
- Expository Hairstyle Change: At the time of getting into high school (when he stops being The Bully and gets slightly picked on by upperclassmen).
- Hidden Depths: He turns out to have quite a comical talent and generally to be not so awful person, after he gains some respect for Nitori.
- Likes Older Women: He felt attracted to Yuki to the point of forcing Nitori to let him visit her.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
- Adaptation Dye-Job: His eyes went from brown to golden.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: He doesn't look so bad in a maid costume, even the girls thought he looked cute.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Seya's history of becoming Maho's boyfriend wasn't very easy.
- Nice Guy: Despite their, well, awkward encounters in the past, he cares for Shuuichi's emotional well-being and treats her far better than Shuuichi's own sister does.
- Tsurime Eyes: To the point where they're often drawn almost like cat eyes
- Understanding Boyfriend
- Voiced by: Yoshino Nanjo
- The Ditz
- Expository Hair Style Change: She stopped wearing her signature pigtails in high school.
- Genki Girl: Less so than Chizuru though.
- Girlish Pigtails: Until high school.
- The Heart: She just wishes for everyone to stay friends.
- In-Series Nickname: 'Sasa-chan' and 'Kanabun'.
- Morality Pet: To Saori.
- No Periods, Period: Averted, which shocks some of her friends.
- Voiced by: Saeko Chiba
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her eyes have a golden hue in the anime.
- Crossdresser: She seems to prefer female or androgynous styles in casual wear outside of school but she doesn't think twice about dressing in her male middle school uniform. She even wore it on the first day of school.
- Genki Girl
- Girlish Pigtails: Wore them occasionally in middle school. In high school it was her default style, which contrasts with Kanako and Saori who stopped wearing theirs at the same time.
- Large Ham: Often coupled with her Third-Person Person
- No Indoor Voice
- Third-Person Person
- Tsurime Eyes
- Wholesome Crossdresser
- Voiced by: Aki Toyosaki
- Ambiguously Gay: She doesn't seem to really like boys, she just cares about Chi.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: To Chizuru.
- Flat Character
- Satellite Character: She revolves around Chizuru.
- Voiced by: Kaoru Mizuhara
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Chiba. He can be bit cocky and a liar though, so the "nice" part is somewhat debatable.
- Expository Hair Style Change: He grew his hair out after Saori started dating him.
- Japanese Christian
- Smoking Is Cool: Averted, since him smoking is probably supposed to be seen as a negative thing.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behaviour: He smokes, and when he was first shown doing this he couldn't have been older then twelve.
- Villainous Crossdresser: Not really villainous, but his reasons for crossdressing are rather petty.
- Voiced by: Mutsumi Tamura
- The Bully: He was this to Nitori since elementary but eventually became friends with Mako in late middle school
- Oblivious to Love: Makoto likes him.
- Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara
- Only One Name: He's only ever called "Shiina" or "Shii-chan"
- Smoking Is Cool
- Understanding Boyfriend
- Voiced by: Sayaka Ohara
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In early chapters her hair was brown but it was eventually changed to black. In the manga her eyes are black but they're a dark shade of blue in the anime.
- Parents as People
- Voiced by: Kazuya Nakai
- Christmas Cake: A male version.
- Sensei-chan: More realistic and level-headed than other examples but still there.
- Voiced by: Takayuki Kondō
- Hot Teacher: A large sum of the girls that go to the middle school are said to have a crush on him at one time another. Makoto, Chizuru, Maho, and possibly Takatsuki all have had a crushes on him.
- Voiced by: Ai Takabe