Characters: Wandering Son
Here's a list of characters and related tropes for the series Wandering Son
Voiced by: Kousuke Hatakeyama
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Or actually, Story Progression Dye Job. Takatsuki's hair was dark brown in the first two volumes before becoming the black we know of today.
- Played straight with his eyes. From black to gold.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: He looks very pretty during his runway walk during the cultural festival with Shuuichi. The judges for the modeling audition thought so too, and praised his good posture.
- Berserk Button: Bullying Shuuichi. Also, his period and, to a lesser extent, other physical or social aspects of femininity coming from his biologically being female. Teasing him about it made some boys in his elementary school seriously beaten. He's generally only tough in situations he feels pressured in.
- D-Cup Distress: He hates it when his breasts begin to grow. He even goes to buy a binder to flatten his chest so that he does not have to wear a bra.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Height Angst: He's tall for a girl but wishes he was taller
- Hot for Teacher: He seems a bit confused about whether it was a crush or not. He felt pressured by everyone else to have a crush on somebody, but other people thought he fell for a teacher in middle school.
- Japanese Pronouns: "Watashi".
- Kick the Dog: Telling Saori that her beloved Nitori-kun now dates Anna, and thus completely crushing the girl? Not cool, Takatsuki. He regrets it almost immediately, though
- No Periods, Period: Averted, and his Berserk Button.
- Platonic Life Partners: Seems to be this with Shuuichi.
- Averted in the end. She's grown distant from Nitori and has a crush on her.
- Real Men Wear Pink: If the colored art is to be believed Takatsuki has a thing for pastel colors. His hoodies are apparently pink. Could be his parents buying the clothes though.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: No, Shuuichi really isn't his girlfriend. And Chiba isn't his girlfriend either.
- Transsexual: Of the male-transitioning-from-female type. Eventually subverted.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Shuuichi. The legion of Shippers On Deck doesn't help. And then the Foe Yay tension with Chiba.
- Unsettling Gender-Reveal: At his first day in the high school to a girl named Kayoko Masuda. To be fair he is a boy, but no one can know that yet.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her eyes are black past-elementary but the anime still has her with brown eyes
- Cannot Tell a Joke: She only tries once in the manga but her "joke" didn't come off as one and just created awkward silence.
- Characterization Marches On: A Justified case. In early volumes her personality was very different, but then, again - it is a story partially about how adolescence and circumstances in it can form child's character.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Though the series arguably shows both of the processes, frosting and defrosting, with the Ice Queen period during her middle school years.
- Dude Magnet
- Friendless Background: She can't get along neither with girls (except for Sasa) nor boys. When love problems appear and cause a rift between her and her two transgender friends, Saori ends pretty much alone, excluding her only cis girl friend and another trans girl. Some other people still keep trying to get close to her, but she isn't too willing to cooperate.
- Girlish Pigtails: Wore them in middle school, and oddly only while at school; she had her usual cut when in casual clothes.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Her eye style changed early on. Originally she had the more wide-eyed expression everyone else does, though she eventually permanently changed. She essentially went from Tareme Eyes to Tsurime Eyes.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Toward Takatsuki.
- In-Series Nickname: At least Sasa calls her "Saorin".
- Japanese Christian
- Jerkass: Skirting a Jerkass Woobie line, but she certainly doesn't hesitate to throw tantrums all around her.
- Loners Are Freaks: During her middle school years. Though it's her will and difficult personality what makes her isolated.
- Also in elementary, until she met Nitori in fifth grade. It seems Saori doesn't make bonds much.
- Love Hurts: Arguably the biggest victim of this. She even can't stay as close to Shuuichi as she gets to be to Takatsuki and poor girl seems to be slightly afraid of her extreme personality.
- No Periods, Period: Averted.
- No Social Skills: Atypically, not Played for Laughs and not supposed to be cute.
- Official Couple: With Fumiya.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Single-Target Sexuality: For most of the manga she only has eyes for Nitorin.
- The Snark Knight
- Stepford Snarker
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Acts this way towards Shuuichi occasionally. Oka can tell a tale on that subject.
- Yandere: She doesn't go Ax-Crazy or outright psycho over her unrequited love, but sometimes loses it, and is the most realistic example available.
Voiced by: Yuuichi Iguichi
- Anguished Declaration of Love: To Seya.
- Ascended Fangirl: When makes it to the same model agency where Maiko-chan works.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: With Shuuichi and Seya, occasionally.
- Big Sister Bully
- Big Sister Instinct: She abuses Shuuichi constantly, but NOBODY (else) MESSES WITH HER SISTER!
- Bob Haircut
- Bratty Teenage Daughter
- Fangirl: THE fangirl of Maiko.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Hot for Teacher: In her first year of high school she fell for an off-screen teacher, however it matches the description of the teacher both Mako and Takatsuki seemed to like.
- Jerkass: Aside of Transgender problems and the lack of understanding from her environment, having this sister alone would gain Shuuichi status of The Woobie.
- Kick the Dog: About 90% of her treatment of Shuuichi. Though slightly justified in cases when her transitioning complicates her life, or when she tries her underwear on...
- No Periods, Period: Averted.
- Official Couple: With Seya (after some complications involving younger sister).
- Pet the Dog: Anytime she's nice to Shuuichi.
- Shipper on Deck: For Shuuichi and Anna.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: With Shuuichi. She even lampshades it, saying after the audition that they could've said that're twins.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Makoto gives Maho one of these, when witnessing her mistreatment of Shuuichi. Interestingly, having to deal with an assertive and self-confident girl so different from her sister, Maho cannot really tell him off.
- The Bully: He was this to Nitori since elementary but eventually became friends with Mako in late middle school
- Oblivious to Love: Makoto likes him.
- Hot Teacher: A large sum of the girls that go to the middle school are said to have a crush on him at one time another. Makoto, Chizuru, Maho, and possibly Takatsuki all have had a crushes on him.
Voiced by: Ai Takabe