Characters: Survivor Africa
open/close all folders
The Sole Survivor
Lex van den Berghe
"Big" Tom Buchanan
- Expy: Slightly subverted. She was clearly casted to be a Tina Wesson type character, and while she was to a degree, Teresa had enough individual quirks and genuine sweetness in her, to make her a unique character.
- Nice Hat
- Odd Friendship: Her and Frank.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Referred to as "T" and/or "T-Bird" way, way more than her actual name.
- Southern-Fried Genius: In terms of game strategy she was deceptively cunning and never stopped trying to come up with ways to break up the Boran alliance even when she was the last Samburu tribe member left.
- Two First Names
- Awesome Mc Cool Name
- Butt Monkey: He's anti-social and a little rough around the edges, and in a social game like Survivor, you do not want to be this.
- The Comically Serious: Occasionally filled this role.
- Crazy Survivalist: In one episode he said that if he weren't playing the game for his friends or family, he would dump all the water and food that wasn't his own so the younger, brattier members of his tribe would suffer. Also, in one interview post show, he said he regretted that he wasn't able to hunt on the national preserve they were stranded in.
- Deadpan Snarker:
Carl: Hey Frank, what branch of the service were you in?"
Frank: I was in the American branch. It's called Freedom.
- Establishing Character Moment: See Deadpan Snarker.
- Hidden Depths: Both supported and subverted. Frank at first came off like a two dimensional Fish out of Water curmudgeon with conservative values, but in later episodes it was obvious that there was a lot more nuance to his personality (like when he waxed philosophic when he watched the sunrise).
- Hilarity Ensues: During his movie date reward with card carrying Camp Gay member Brandon.
- Jaded Washout: To his tribe. Off the show, he seems to be pretty happy guy, well adjusted and has a nice family.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Especially after Carl left and the Mall Rats(an alliance of the younger tribe members) took over Samburu.
- Nice Hat
- Odd Friendship: Him and Teresa, and Big Tom as well.
- Seinfeldian Conversation: There was a somewhat lengthy segment on how Frank doesn't know what the term "brunch" means.
- Unusual Euphemism: "Linda's so solid, she's buried at the bottom of the Hoover dam."
- Camp Gay: To be fair about it though, Brandon wasn't weak in the challenges and stood up for himself. His personality though was as gay as a three dollar bill.
- Hilarity Ensues: When Brandon and Frank won an obstacle course reward challenge and got to see the movie Out Of Africa together at a drive in.
- Idiot Ball: Defecting from Samburu by voting for Kelly, instead of sticking with his tribe and voting out Lex.
- Odd Couple: Brandon and Frank during the drive in movie trip they won together.
- Smug Snake: Seemed deeply confident that he had a good mind for game strategy, and then he made probably the stupidest move of the entire game by turning on Samburu and joining Lex (whilst at the same time confirming to the other' members of the Boran alliance that he wasn't trustworthy at all).
- The Quisling: He prevented his Samburu tribemates and Boran defector Kelly from having a shot at voting off Boran leader Lex out of a petty dislike for and refusal to work with Frank. He was then promptly voted out by everyone except for Lex.
- Two First Names
- The Atoner: By the time he got voted out in 10th, he'd more than redeemed himself for his earlier transgressions regarding his appetite.
- Big Eater: Half of Clarence's story arc revolved around him being hungry all the time and eating food whenever he could get his hands on it.
- The Big Guy: The reason why he wasn't voted out after eating the Beans is because he was capable in challenges unlike Diane and later Jessie.
- Black Guy Dies First: Subverted in one episode when Clarence is almost stomped to death by an elephant after said elephant walks into the area Clarence was defecating in. Also could be seen as Toilet Humor.
- Arc Villain
- Asshole Victim: Fell victim to a major twist, had his entire new tribe pretty much conspire to take him out by all but throwing an immunity challenge to get rid of him, and since it was Silas there wasn't exactly a huge uproar from the fanbase.
- Backstab Backfire: See below.
- Cosmic Plaything: In what is perhaps the ultimate example of Hoist by His Own Petard in Survivor, Silas was the first victim of the tribal swap, a twist he never could have predicted. What's worse was that the swap took place only a week after he betrayed the people he initially aligned with so he could be the leader of Samburu, and the people he got stuck with were the very people he betrayed!
- Disc One Final Boss
- Do Not Call Me Paul: Was originally known as Chip, but insisted before the game started that everyone call him Silas instead.
- Graceful Loser: For all his smugness, he did take his ouster very well especially when compared to later Survivor "villains".
- Stepford Smiler: Had a habit of grinning really wide when something pissed him off.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Tempting Fate: "There's not an event in the future that could surprise me."
- Cool Shades
- Ill Woman: Over-exerted herself leading the tribe to camp, leading to her getting sick in the first few days.