We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Characters: Survivor Marquesas
open/close all folders
The Sole Survivor
Vecepia "Vee" Towery
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Betrayed Kathy at the final three immunity challenge by making a deal with Neleh (right in front of Kathy even!) and letting her take it, which at the time was one of the most underhanded and despised moves the game had ever seen.
- Dark Horse Victory: The first person to win the game when their tribe entered the merge in the minority.
- Guile Heroine
- Hypocrite/Holier Than Thou: Certainly in the eyes of Tammy.
- Manipulative Bastard: Besides backstabbing alliance members effectively, she also mentioned starting fights between tribe members that she would stay out of in order to keep pressure on the other players in the game.
- Older Than They Look: From a line Mario Lanza's writing archives about Survivor's Marquesas,
I think people really forgot Vecepia's age during the season. She was 37. Neleh was 21. A lot of people kind of thought of them as sisters, but are you aware that Vee could realistically be the same age as Neleh's mom? Vee looks amazing for her age.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: "Vee"
- Out of Focus: Played under the radar, especially when in contrast to early alliance mates Rob and Sean. It caused a lot of uproar at the time when a "nobody" or "unknown" won the game over a Final Four including people with much more screen time.
- The Quiet One: Especially with Boston Rob and Sean
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Sean's Red.
- Sole Survivor
- True Companions: With Sean. They were both devoutly religious, both African-American, and both had similar upbringings. His vote to her was basically guaranteed.
- Wham Line: At the final immunity challenge
“I'll give you Immunity, I'll drop off, if you take me to the end with you, okay?
- What Measure Is a Non-Badass?: Is frequently overlooked as a competent Survivor winner, despite the fact that she was the first person to win in a game where her original tribe entered the merge in the minority (Outnumbered by 3-7), not to mention she kickstarted the downfall of Hunter, seamlessly backstabbed Rob, played a big part in the downfall of the Rotu 4, and was able to switch sides and backstab allies in such an efficient way that the jury (which consists of 6 original Rotus and only one original Maraamu) still voted for her in the end.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Basically what Sean accused her of being.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Was completely incapable of answering jury questions at the final Tribal Council in a way that didn't sound like pandering to the jury, which led to 3/4ths of the Rotu alliance voting for Vecepia (who was fully willing to admit that she played the game and had a strategy from day one).
- The chewed mint scene, she offers a chewed mint to the other tribemates after a reward trip with Paschal. While her intentions are pure and sweet, it felt insulting and condescending to the other tribemates.
- Gosh Darn It to Heck!: "Oh my Heck".
- Hypocrite: Basically how her actions came off to the jury.
- The Ingenue
- Innocently Insensitive: Most Notably during the Chew Mint scene.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Paschal in arguably the tightest alliance in Survivor's history.
- Multicolored Hair: Blonde with black Highlights.
- Nice Girl: She was generally this.
- The Only One I Trust: With Paschal.
- Character Development: Kathy starts out this season as being seen by her tribe as "that blonde, bitchy person"(her own words) and ends it by being seen by the jury as the overall best player who just missed the cut(at winning) after being betrayed by Neleh and Vee. In some respects, her story arc is very similar to Yau-Man from Survivor: Fiji.
- Cool Old Lady
- Defeat by Modesty: At the final Immunity challenge
- Genki Girl: She seemed to be the most excited at being there.
- Graceful Loser: Although she was rather shell shocked afterwards.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Gabe and Gina.
- It's Pronounced Tro-PAY: Kathy always pronounces "Marquesas" as "Marque-SAH". It gets slightly irritating after a while.
- Jaw Drop: When seeing that Gabe was voted out over Boston Rob and Sean.
- Never Mess with Granny: Ended up being the most pivotal player when it came down to just the alliance that formed to get rid of the Rotu alliance. Sean putting words in her mouth at Tribal Council when she was the swing vote sealed his fate, and the knowledge that she wasn't going to be able to break up Paschal and Neleh's alliance led to Pappy's Shocking Elimination. She's also won the most individual challenges with four(2 immunity and 2 reward).
- Plucky Girl
- The Pollyanna
- Angry Black Man: In the earlier episodes he was this, but he mellowed out later on.
- Badass Boast: As he made his vote against John and kicked off the downfall of the Rotu alliance:
"Checkmate, bro. Thought you had me. Tell you any time you go to Vegas, bet on black."
- Be Yourself: Stated this in the 8th episode.
- Black Best Friend: To Boston Rob.
- Cool Teacher: In Real Life.
- Dragon Ascendant: Closely aligned with Boston Rob right up until his elimination, after which he had a big hand in forming the five-person alliance with V, Kathy, Paschal, and Neleh.
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: Subverted, there was a false rumor that he and Gabriel met knew each other before the show started.
- The rumor was fueled when Gabriel was confirmed to have worked as a bartender at a tapas bar in West Hollywood (which, coincidentally, was owned by Mike "Boogie" from Season 2 of Big Brother), and Sean just happened to be photographed with some friends at that very tapas bar.
- Gasshole: At the beginning of episode 8.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: His Achilles heel, and one of the main reasons he was voted off over Vecepia.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Peter.
- Large Ham
- Lazy Bum: In the first few episodes.
- Nice Hat
- Plucky Comic Relief: Filled this role from time to time, particularly with The Morning Show in the first few episodes. He even did a Dr. Evil impression during his final Tribal Council vote.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Vecepia's Blue.
- Religious Bruiser
- Smarter Than You Look: He was awarded for his skills as a teacher.
- Title Drop: In episode 11, The Princess while describing Neleh.
- True Companions: With Vecepia. He even became a godfather to Vecepia's son after the show.
- Wham Line: In the Eighth Episode of the season during the first 3 strikes challenge.
Sean" “This is the order, how it’s gonna go?”
Robert "General" DeCanio
- Alliterative Name
- Backstab Backfire: Attempted to ditch the Rotu alliance once John was voted out, and claimed she was never loyal to them. She still got voted out next.
- Bad Liar: A few times after the switch. One example is when Kathy asks her if she's going to vote Kathy out, Zoe pauses for over ten seconds. Then she says no. Oops.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: After John's elimination, Zoe declared she never like Tammy.
- The Chick: Of the Rotu alliance.
- Graceful Loser: The only member of the Rotu alliance willing to admit that Neleh could beat her. As a result, she's also the only member to vote for Neleh to win.
- Nice Hat: In game, a baseball cap.
- Out of Focus: Zoe was the first person to make the merge and be voted out with less than ten confessionals.
- Professional Butt-Kisser: Made jewelry to get in good with the new majority.
- The Quisling: In Episode 8 she betrays the Rotu 4 by voting for John, seemingly for no good reason.
- Shout-Out: She references Kon-Tiki(the famous raft used to demonstrate that indigenous people from South America may have settled in Polynesia at one point) in one episode.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: How she hair is often worn.
- Ascended Fanboy: He applied three times to get casted(ever since Season One), and this is the lucky time he made it on.
- Big Bad Wannabe
- Drunk with Power: What happen after the Gabriel blindside.
- Fingore: Happened twice in episode 3. The First one lead to the infamous peeing scene.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Attempted to be the mastermind behind an alliance that would take him to the end, and had some early success (most notably getting rid of Boston Rob immediately after the merge). He then got cocky about it and paid the price immediately, as everyone not in his alliance formed a counter-alliance against him.
- Kick the Dog: Voting out Gabriel under a baseless assumption that he would align with the new Rotu members after the swap.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Fans that have met him say that he's one of the more "approachable" contestants out there.
- Nice Hat
- Out of Focus: Until the fourth episode, odds are you only knew him as the male nurse on Rotu that once got peed on by Kathy.
- Smug Snake: Slightly. He was mostly a pragmatic villain, but he did make an incredibly arrogant comment about how Paschal and Neleh were rooting for his success(that they were willing to lay down their own chances at winning for him).
- Straight Gay / Camp Gay: At least by 2002 standards he was, but Society Marches On.
- Tempting Fate: The Aforementioned comment about Neleh and Paschal.
"Neleh and Paschal, I think, are really supporting my success in this game, and are really rooting for me."
- Toilet Humor: The Imfamous Peeing Incident
"Boston" Rob Mariano
- Afro Asskicker
- The Bartender: His job at the time.
- Diabolus Ex Machina: The Tribe Switch brought the three people who brought the game with them.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: When asked about what his game plan was, Gabe said he wasn't there to play the game. This would start his the events towards his elimination.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: A male variant.
- The Heart: Of the Rotu alliance. After he's gone, they begin to implode.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Paschal.
- Mr. Fanservice
- The Nicknamer: He dubbed Paschal "Pappy" and Neleh "Sweet Pea". John was called "Johnny Pots And Pans", but that may have been invented by someone else.
- The Pollyanna
- Shocking Elimination: At least In-Universe. With three players from the other tribe(Two of which are unlikable), Few thought Gabe would be voted out.
- Something Completely Different: Most players on Survivor are in it to win it. They may appreciate the experience, but by and large people want the money first and foremost (Either this or they are looking for their 15 Minutes of Fame). Gabriel was one of the few people, except for maybe Greg from the first season, "Flica" from the thirteenth season, and Jimmy Johnson from the twenty-first season, who seemed to have little to no interest in actually winning and was genuinely there for the experience.
- Spanner in the Works: After Gabriel revealed that he had no interest in playing the game to get ahead, John became paranoid and thought that Gabe would become this to his alliance, so he orchestrated a blindside. That's why he was unanimously booted a day or two later.
- Diabolus Ex Machina: The Tribe Switch. Sarah was separated from her alliance and was trapped with Gina(Sarah's biggest critic). The other people liked Sarah but not her lack of work ethic. Basically, she was screwed when Maraamu lost immunity.
- Establishing Character Moment: Her Cleopatra like posing on the raft and her refusal to help row as her tribe made it's way to camp on the first day.
- Four Is Death: Fourth person voted out in the fourth episode in the fourth season. When voted out, the vote was 4-1 and she was fourth Maraamu to leave the game.
- Lazy Bum
- The Load: Because of being an Lazy Bum and Hunter thought she was distracting Rob.
- Ms. Fanservice:
- Multicolored Hair: Same Color scheme as Neleh.
- Power Hair
- Ship Tease: With Boston Rob.
- Tag Along Kid: She was the youngest person on Maraamu and was only kept because she was royal to Rob.
- The Tease: Her tribemates viewed her as this but she didn't really do anything.
- Unwitting Pawn: Of Rob's, until the swap.