open/close all folders
Muto Shougo aka Amakusa
Voiced by: Junichi Inoue (JP), Crispin Freeman (EN)A Christian, and sought revenge for Christianity, and to make the Holy Land, after his parents were killed for their beliefs when Christians were persecuted during the Shogunate. He mastered "God Speed" by the age of 14, and according to Kenshin, had surpassed even God Speed. His followers believe that he is the "Son of God". Some of his "miracles" were really just due to his education in Western Medicine, and other sciences.
- Arc Villain
- Badass Preacher
- Big Brother Instinct: Sayo is his Morality Pet, so he fiercely adores and protects her.
- Break the Cutie: As a child, he and his sister saw their family die horribly, which embittered him very much.
- Break the Haughty: As an adult, when his plans fall.
- Church Militant: He's both a badass swordsman and a cultist leader.
- Expy: Of Real Life rebel Amakusa Shiro Tokisada.
- A God Am I: Or better said, A Son Of God Am I. He seems to enjoy claiming that his use of the Hiten Mitsurugi style was blessed by God.
- The Leader
- Love Freak: Played quite tragically.
- The Medic: Studied medicine during his adult years. Still not enough to cure his sister's illness.
- Religious Bruiser: Deconstructed nastily.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
Muto Sayo aka Magdaria
(which she most likely obtained from her and Shougo's dead mother, who suffered the same illness). She is often seen accompanied by Shozo, a childhood friend whom she and her brother saved from persecution.
- Break the Cutie: Was a happy-go-lucky Christian little girl from the countryside. Then, shit happened. LOTS of shit.
- Broken Bird: Her hardships left her very embittered, until she befriended Sanosuke. She lampshades the trope as she thanks Sanosuke for emotionally helping her while she lays dying in his arms.
- Closer to Earth: While she's not without her ruthless moments, she's less gung-ho on war than Shougo.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Died in Sano's arms.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: As a child, she had super short messy hair. As a teenager, she wore it longer and in Girlish Pigtails. As an adult, she kept it loose.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: She took care of a young and injured Shouzo after Shougo took him in his Christian group, and he fell in love with her.
- Similarly, she and Sano start understanding each other a liiiiittle better when she found him wounded and tended to his bruises.
- Generation Xerox: Looks a lot like her Missing Mom and inherits her Ill Girl condition.
- Girls with Guns: Sayo owns a tiny hand gun, and considering how she did consider shooting Sano before learning that he was less of an asshole than she thought, it's a sure thing that she was trained to use it.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Gets shot to protect the only person, aside of Kenshin and his group, who was willing to help her crazed older brother.
- Ill Girl: Has tuberculosis, which gives her Blood from the Mouth and Incurable Cough of Death.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Lady Magdaria and Shouzo were doing a great job of not provoking the police, who had stopped them for no reason other than they were Christians in the lisghtest... when Sanosuke jumped out from behind a bush and beat the crap out of them and probably got mistaken for a Christian (after all, who else would have bothered?). This is the kind of thing that Real Life activists from oppressed minority groups avoid unless they want to deepen the impression that they're a bunch of dangerous lunatics, so even if Magdaria could have been a little less harsh, she had a very good reason to not be happy.
- Meaningful Name: Her Christian name comes from Mary Magdalene.
- Morality Pet: To Shougo.
- Plucky Girl: When Shouzo got trapped under a tremendous pile of rocks while trying to shield Sayo, she immediately started to try getting them off him. Considering that she's an Ill Girl and such an effort could make her collapse... whoa.
- Ship Tease: Got a lot of this with both her bodyguard Shouzo and Sanosuke.
- Taking the Bullet
- Team Mom: To the Christian children she takes care of.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth
- Tragic Keepsake: Her medallion, which belonged to her Missing Mom.
The leader of the Kairyu pirates, who raid ships containing valuable goods that they can sell off to feed the poor.
- Action Girl: Highly skilled with a three-section staff and sword, has great agility and reflex.
- Badass Adorable: She is good looking as she is strong.
- The Captain
- Honor Among Thieves: Shura has a great sense of nobility, stealing only from those who gain their riches through illicit means and using her earnings to feed, clothe and shelter the poor people in her village. She opposes the idea of killing or harming women and children.
- Interrupted Suicide: After being betrayed by Ginjo and the rest of her crew. She attempted to kill herself but Kenshin stops her.
- Pirate Girl: She leads a band of pirates.
- Samus Is a Girl: In her masked form, she has the appearance of a dangerous killer, but is a slim attractive young woman unmasked.
Undying Loyalty for both of them and acts as Magdaria's bodyguard, eventually seeing Sanosuke as his Worthy Opponent.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Was a Chinese Christian boy, which got him into lots of trouble.
- Bad Ass Preacher
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Bodyguard Crush: On Sayo.
- Childhood Friend Romance: He has loved Sayo since he was young. She cares for him greatly as well.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: He fell in love with Sayo after she shed Tender Tears for him and nursed him back to health.
- I Owe You My Life: To both of the Mutou siblings, who gave him a new lease on life as well as something similar to a future.
- Martial Pacifist
- Meaningful Name: His Christian name seems to come not just from Saint Lawrence (the martyr who was allegedly burned alive by roasting), but also from the protomartyr of the Philippines Saint Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila — a half-Chinese/half-Filipino Christian man who was martyred in Japan in 1637... few months before the real Shimabara Rebellion took place.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: To Sayo. One of the reasons why he gives a Get A Hold Of Yourself Man to Sano was because he was there for Sayo when she kicked it, so he shouldn't beat himself up for her death anymore.
- Razor Wind: His Red Dragon fighting technique, which was fast enough to catch Sanosuke off guard and knock him off a cliff in their first duel. Sanosuke later breaks down the technique thanks to his experiences fighting opponents who had similar styles and uses it to defeat Shouzo.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: To Sanosuke.
- Religious Bruiser
- Street Urchin
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Warrior Monk
- Worthy Opponent: To Sanosuke.
A Dutch medic who is the ambassador of the Netherlands in Japan, and Kenshin has him in high regards.
- Ass in Ambassador: Completely averted, because he is the Dutch ambassador but is quite the Nice Guy.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: He's a kind-hearted Reasonable Authority Figure, and has blond hair and moustache.
- Inter Generational Friendship: Elsten is a Cool Old Guy at least in his early 50's, but gets along well with the 28-year-old Kenshin.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He is a calm, wise man with both good medical knowledge and the sincere desire to help the Shimabara Christian colony. This makes him a key figure in the arc, so much that Sayo goes down Taking the Bullet for him, since she knows he's the only one in power who's willing to cut a deal with Shougo. He lives up to he hopes and manages to safely send everyone in the Japanese Christian colony to the Netherlands.
Voiced by: Nozomu Sasaki (JP)A young samurai whom we meet in the Ishinshishi e no Requiem movie. As a Posthumous Character, since Kenshin killed him in battle during the war, which drives a good part of the conflict.
Voiced by: Kazuhiko Inoue (JP)Gentatsu's best friend, whom also befriends Kenshin. He witnessed the death of Gentatsu and swore revenge for it. After raising Gentatsu's little sister Toki, he started brewing a plan to take down the Meiji government alongside a small group of ex-Samurais...
Voiced by: Yuko Miyamura (JP)Shigure's ward and a local school teacher, as well as Gentatsu's younger sister. Shigure raised her in the dead Gentatsu's place.
Voiced by: Kappei Yamaguchi (JP)A teenage boy who works for Shigure and quickly makes friends with Yahiko. He dies in the middle of Shigure's rebellion.
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (JP)One of Shigure's supporters. Actually The Mole.
- Badass Normal: Not only can he kill the best of an ancient Ninja clan's warriors with ease but he is so far the only Westerner in the series who doesn't use modern gunpowder weapon... but can still give Kenshin some difficulty in battle while LACKING superhuman swordsmanship and magics.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Double-subverted since he definitely has the mannerisms and skills an ideal knight should have but he is also shown having somewhat racist views towards Japanese culture and is not above killing to advance his organization's goals. However, he defends Misanagi when Meldars betrays her and orders her executed; he refuses to do so and fights back against Meldars.
- Ship Tease: He and Misanagi seem to be rather attracted to each other. But they can't stay together.
Voiced by: Chisa Yokoyama (JP)
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Specially regarding her interactions with Schneider.
- Faux Action Girl: She can't fully live up to her fame as a ninja towards the end.
- Ship Tease: As said above, she and Schneider have quite a bit of chemistry. Bad thing, it doesn't work out as he has to return to Germany (and is believed to be dead) and she has to stay in Japan to rebuild her clan.
- Woman in Black: As a Ninja, she dresses from hea to toe in black.