Characters: Rurouni Kenshin Anime Only Characters
open/close all folders
Muto Shougo aka Amakusa
Muto Shougo aka Amakusa
A Christian, and sought revenge for Christianity, and to make the Holy Land, after his parents were killed for their beliefs when Christians were persecuted during the Shogunate. He mastered "God Speed" by the age of 14, and according to Kenshin, had surpassed even God Speed. His followers believe that he is the "Son of God". Some of his "miracles" were really just due to his education in Western Medicine, and other sciences.
Muto Sayo aka Magdaria
Muto Sayo aka Magdaria
Shougo Amakusa's younger sister. She serves as a holy mother to their crowd of followers and a teacher to the young children. She has suffered from consumption ever since she was a child (which she most likely obtained from her and Shougo's dead mother, who suffered the same illness)
. She is often seen accompanied by Shozo, a childhood friend whom she and her brother saved from persecution.
- Break the Cutie: Was a happy-go-lucky Christian little girl from the countryside. Then, shit happened. LOTS of shit.
- Broken Bird: Her hardships left her very embittered, until she befriended Sanosuke. She lampshades the trope as she thanks Sanosuke for emotionally helping her while she lays dying in his arms.
- Closer to Earth: While she's not without her ruthless moments, she's less gung-ho on war than Shougo.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Died in Sano's arms.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: As a child, she had super short messy hair. As a teenager, she wore it longer and in Girlish Pigtails. As an adult, she kept it loose.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: She took care of a young and injured Shouzo after Shougo took him in his Christian group, and he fell in love with her.
- Similarly, she and Sano start understanding each other a liiiiittle better when she found him wounded and tended to his bruises.
- Generation Xerox: Looks a lot like her Missing Mom and inherits her Ill Girl condition.
- Girls with Guns: Sayo owns a tiny hand gun, and considering how she did consider shooting Sano before learning that he was less of an asshole than she thought, it's a sure thing that she was trained to use it.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Gets shot to protect the only person, aside of Kenshin and his group, who was willing to help her crazed older brother.
- Ill Girl: Has tuberculosis, which gives her Blood from the Mouth and Incurable Cough of Death.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Lady Magdaria and Shouzo were doing a great job of not provoking the police, who had stopped them for no reason other than they were Christians in the lisghtest... when Sanosuke jumped out from behind a bush and beat the crap out of them and probably got mistaken for a Christian (after all, who else would have bothered?). This is the kind of thing that Real Life activists from oppressed minority groups avoid unless they want to deepen the impression that they're a bunch of dangerous lunatics, so even if Magdaria could have been a little less harsh, she had a very good reason to not be happy.
- Meaningful Name: Her Christian name comes from Mary Magdalene.
- Morality Pet: To Shougo.
- Plucky Girl: When Shouzo got trapped under a tremendous pile of rocks while trying to shield Sayo, she immediately started to try getting them off him. Considering that she's an Ill Girl and such an effort could make her collapse... whoa.
- Ship Tease: Got a lot of this with both her bodyguard Shouzo and Sanosuke.
- Taking the Bullet
- Team Mom: To the Christian children she takes care of.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth
- Tragic Keepsake: Her medallion, which belonged to her Missing Mom.
A Chinese young man who was taken in by Shougo and Sayo's group after being bullied and beaten up by his Christian beliefs. Due to this he holds Undying Loyalty
for both of them and acts as Magdaria's bodyguard, eventually seeing Sanosuke as his Worthy Opponent
A young samurai whom we meet in the Ishinshishi e no Requiem
movie. As a Posthumous Character, since Kenshin killed him in battle during the war, which drives a good part of the conflict.
Gentatsu's best friend, whom also befriends Kenshin. He witnessed the death of Gentatsu and swore revenge for it. After raising Gentatsu's little sister Toki, he started brewing a plan to take down the Meiji government alongside a small group of ex-Samurais...
Shigure's ward and a local school teacher, as well as Gentatsu's younger sister. Shigure raised her in the dead Gentatsu's place.
A teenage boy who works for Shigure and quickly makes friends with Yahiko. He dies in the middle of Shigure's rebellion.
One of Shigure's supporters. Actually The Mole.
Another of Shigure's supporters. Yet another mole.