TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Characters: Power Academy Staff
The staff of Power Academy
open/close all folders
Headmaster James Mall
Headmaster James Mall
Role: Headmaster and Founder of Power Academy
A soldier-turned-superhero, James Mall is the renowned headmaster of Power Academy. He's also a member of an order worshiping a mythical firehawk creature. He's been through no small amount of trouble over the years, and he has put all of his effort and money into the Academy. If it goes under, he's out on the streets.
- Absurdly Youthful Father: Subverted. James (now 30) has a 9-year-old son, Jackson, who appears as and has the mind of a 19-year-old.
- Abusive Parents: His father tried several times to kick him out of the house before James finally ran away, leading to him joining the military at 16.
- The Alcoholic
- Badass in Distress: Early on he ends up going missing, held captive by a rogue Equinox cell. He's freed soon enough, though.
- Badass Longcoat: One of his regular outfits, worn without a shirt.
- Berserk Button: Threaten the school, the students, or Lily, and face his wrath.
- Big Good
- Broken Pedestal: Downplayed; he greatly disappoints Talan when he decides to cover up Trigan's murders for the greater good.
- Celibate Hero: Set up, but eventually subverted; for years, he remained this way until he met Lily. In light of his Deal with the Devil, James wanting to stay single makes sense.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Don't let the laid-back, somewhat bumbling facade fool you. He will lay down the law when he has to.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Deal with the Devil: This is how he managed to get Power Academy built so quickly. [[spoiler:He ended up making a deal with a powerful demon. James would be able to instantly create the Academy, the cost being that if his heart was ever broken, he would die and the Academy would be destroyed.
- Eccentric Mentor
- Four-Star Badass: In his early days, leading an elite team of superhumans to defeat Vulcannus.
- Guest Star Party Member: Shows up in a few boss fights.
- Hidden Depths: He has an intense amount of pressure on him; Power Academy is his life's work, and if it fails (and it is already in danger of failing), he'll have nowhere to go. It's not until he opens up to Lily that his inner demons become apparent.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Kicked Upstairs: He was only hastily promoted to his general rank to be a public face for superhumans—so the authorities could say, "Hey, we like superhumans too!" Although he had the tactical know-how to back it up, he was just a general in name only.
- Mr. Fanservice: The fact that he constantly goes around shirtless (or at least with his chest exposed) helps.
- My Greatest Failure: He regards his failure to stop Wardson from destroying an entire city as this.
- Mystical White Hair
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The aforementioned Deal with the Devil, which allows him to create Power Academy so quickly, caused a dimensional flux in the Multiverse that ensnared Terminus. The Great Old One is now trapped within the heroes' universe...
- Not a Morning Person: As people who interrupt his naps learn the hard way.
- Playing with Fire
- Really Seventeen Years Old: At age 16, he ran away from his family and faked his age to join the military, just to get away from them.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Lily's Blue.
- The Runaway: From his family as a child. See above.
- Team Dad: More or less.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Aside from the above, sometimes he just goes without a shirt or coat altogether.
Role: Nurse, Head of the Female Dorms
Lily was once a superpowered teen vigilante before dedicating herself to becoming a nurse. She was also a close friend of the Ashen family; after their mother died and father disappeared, Val and Isaac were adopted by Lily. In addition to being a mother figure, she has served as a crimefighting mentor for them, training Val to manage her powers. At the Academy, in addition to healing people
and providing a calming influence for James
, Lily is the head of the female dorms. She has the ability to control and summon plant life to do her bidding, from healing to combat.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother / Adoptive Peer Parent: Following their mother's death, Val and Isaac (6 and 4 at the time) are adopted by Lily (18 at the time).
- Abusive Parents: Her mother hated her for being a mutant, referring to her as "that thing" and kicking her out of the house when her powers awakened.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Soft-spoken, motherly, ladylike, not afraid to constrain someone with strong vines...
- Chainmail Bikini: Subverted; at first, it looks like she's going to fight in her usual skimpy casual outfit, but then she summons a set of natural Instant Armor to fight in.
- Combat Stilettos: Often seen wearing high-heeled sandals. Justified in that she usually fights at a distance, as opposed to getting up close and personal.
- Cooldown Hug: Loves giving these out.
- Crippling Overspecialization: In a fight, she's devastating at long range...but not so effective in a melee fight. She makes up for this with her healing skills though.
- Green Thumb
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Evidenced by the bottles of vodka she has in her room, though she'll only break one out off-duty.
- Hospital Hottie: Lampshaded by a couple of generic students, who jokingly mention that getting to see her makes a trip to her office worth it.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Downplayed; she wears just enough to be comfortable, but it's often quite revealing. She can instantly create new clothes for herself anyway (see below).
- Instant Armor: Although her casual outfits are very revealing, in combat she opts for a full-covering suit of natural armor (very dense layers of leaves, bark, and other materials), roughly as tough as leather armor. Even so, it's not meant for getting up close and personal, given her fighting style.
- Lady of War / Silk Hiding Steel
- The Lancer: To James, alongside Harken.
- Living Emotional Crutch: For James. Makes sense in hindsight once his Deal with the Devil is revealed.
- The Medic
- The Mentor: For Val.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's nearly always half-naked in her various nature- or floral-themed outfits, many of which show off her ample chest, hips and legs.
- Never Heard That One Before: Gets a lot of comparisons in-universe to Poison Ivy, much to her chagrin.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair goes down to her hips.
- Second Love: For James.
- Simple Staff: An old, worn wooden staff that serves as the conduit for her powers.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: A big part of her attraction to James, aside from the pretty white hair, is his virtues.
- Squishy Wizard
- Statuesque Stunner
- Team Mom
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Magi C. Waters
Magi C. Waters
Role: Psychiatrist, guidance counselor, truancy officer
General Subject Teachers
Tripp T. Ometer
Tripp T. Ometer
Role: Teacher, History and the Multiverse
For all he knows, he has always existed. But at one point or another, Tripp was bound to a mystical time gauntlet and charged with being the guardian of time. He serves as the school's History teacher, which naturally involves brief trips into alternate timelines.
- Absent-Minded Professor / Ditzy Genius: Incredibly intelligent, but clueless about simple, mundane things.
- Ambiguous Gender: Though appears and referred to as male for convenience.
- Amplifier Artifact: The stabilizer gauntlet.
- Time Traveler Non-Interference Clause: He forbids himself from altering certain events to avoid messing with the timeline too much, only intervening when absolutely necessary.
- Badass Bookworm
- Big Damn Heroes: In spite of the aforementioned non-interference, he promises his students he will save them from an absolutely hopeless situation, but only once for each. He eventually makes good on this promise. Subject Zero confronts Terminus and fights her for the first time...and finds her/himself way in over her/his head. As Terminus is about to kill her/him, Tripp intervenes and saves the PC.
- Big Good: Although James is this for the Academy, Tripp can be considered this for the space-time continuum, especially considering some of the enemies they face.
- Blue and Orange Morality
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He talks about time paradoxes as part of the natural course of events for the space-time continuum...but clearly, the universe hasn't been destroyed yet, so he's doing something right.
- Dem Bones: Appears as an ethereal, bright blue skeleton-like being attached to a powered gauntlet.
- He Knows About Timed Hits: He plays a large part in the tutorial, even explaining the controls to the player. The other characters brush this off as Tripp just being Tripp.
- Power Copying
- Soul Jar: He is bound to a powerful pair of gauntlets; it is only when he is in this form and bound to a "catalyst" (host) that he can use his time manipulation powers.
- Time Abyss: As far as he can tell, he has always existed.
- Time Travel
- The Watcher: Until he does interfere.
Role: Teacher, Moral Dilemma 101
Harken is ostensibly the Moral Dilemma 101 teacher, but with every iteration of the class, the subject changes each time, forcing the students to think on their feet
. He has served as a mentor for James, and despite being legally insane, he is one of the most intelligent members of the staff. Harken has the ability to teleport anywhere, an ability he often uses to surprise people (especially his students). Married to Magi.
- Blinding Bangs
- Four-Star Badass: Revealed to have been one in the past.
- Genius Sweet Tooth
- He Knows Too Much: While they were still involved in the military, James was sent by the government to hunt down and kill Harken, who had gone rogue. However, it turns out he had defected because he learned too many secrets, asking the wrong questions and provoking the wrong people.
- Insane Troll Logic: His moral dilemmas; a simple question is given, with no context given beforehand. Example: Burn it or drown it? (Answer: Burn it and then drown it. The target is a zombie; burning the zombie burns down the building you're protecting from the zombie apocalypse, drowning it doesn't kill it fully, and burning it and drowning it is the only way to ensure it's dead.)
- Insatiable Newlyweds: With Magi.
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: His eyes are constantly changing color, though they are usually obscured by his bangs.
- Large Ham
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Reveals himself to be Timmy's actual father, having hidden the truth from him.
- Mad Scientist
- Shipper on Deck: With Magi. In preparation for Valentine's Day, the two even start assembling a collage photo album of every couple in the school sharing a tender kiss.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: His class is completely random, often requiring the students to think on their feet in order to pass. Naturally, it's optional. Or is it?
- Straight Gay
- Teleporters and Transporters: Has the ability to teleport.
- Troll: Gets a kick out of messing with students' heads.
- When Is Purple: Often speaks in a cryptic manner—usually to confuse the hell out of his students.
Mikoto Nakamura (real name unknown)
Role: Theater teacher, Newspaper Club advisor
Power: Super-fast reflexes
A member of the felis sapiens
race, Mikoto was once a crimefighting journalist, writing exposes on the crimes she foiled. However, one day she stumbled across evidence of large-scale plans being made by Equinox—which made her a target
. Now under a new identity as a theater teacher, Mikoto has come to the Academy, also serving as the head of the Newspaper Club. She's one of the more lighthearted members of the staff
, tending to provide levity to very heavy situations.
Role: Teacher, Villainy 101
The result (and sole survivor) of Equinox's Project Revenant
, Selene is an elite assassin for the organization, serving as Alexei's right-hand woman and bodyguard. In battle she is, outside of occasional bursts of lucidity, a bloodthirsty killer who relishes a fight. As a result of her training, Selene has the ability to drain life from her enemies, extending her own lifespan in the process
, and is currently the Villainy 101 teacher (a combined history/psychology class examining what makes a villain what they are).
- Amicable Exes: If she stays with the Academy, Mikoto receives a heart-shaped box of chocolates and a heartfelt letter from Selene saying she forgives her.
- Anti-Hero / Anti-Villain: Falls into the former post-Character Development.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: When hit with a gender-flip ray. Her male form is very muscular and manly, and includes No Shirt, Long Jacket as part of her attire.
- Ax-Crazy: Downplayed; she mainly exhibits this behavior in battle.
- The Baroness: Sexpot variety, minus the Ice Queen aspect.
- Bi the Way: She and Mikoto were a couple in the past, and she eventually hooks up with Timmy as well.
- Blood Knight
- Clueless Dude And Chick Magnet: Both from Timmy and a lot of generic students in her class.
- Dating Catwoman: First with Mikoto, but they broke off once Selene found out about her crimefighting identity. Happens again with Timmy; they start out as Friends with Benefits, but affection soon blossoms between the two.
- The Dragon: To Alexei.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Despite being so unstable. She views Vilhelm and his cyborg army as twisted abominations, and rejected his offer to become one of them. She also refuses to hurt children.
- From Nobody to Nightmare
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has various scars across her body.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Heel-Face Turn: She eventually sides with the heroes, both in the forum and (if spared after her boss fight) in the game.
- The Lad-ette: Loves video games, drinking, sex, killing, and sports. She does, however, wear a dress and heels on occasion.
- Large Ham: For better or worse; either way, subtlety is not her strong suit.
- Laughably Evil
- Life Drain
- Life Drinker: Exemplified during the Civil War arc, where after going on a spree killing criminals that were running rampant, she mentions feeling a few years younger.
- Little Black Dress: Her casual outfit is a tight black leather minidress, with matching heels.
- Love Is a Weakness: Believes so; due to the detachment from people she's built up from all the killing over the years, she grows increasingly fearful of her growing, unfamiliar feelings for Timmy. However, she learns to see it as a source of inner strength.
- Ms. Fanservice: The skintight outfit certainly helps. The male version applies as well to her genderbent form, which is a Walking Shirtless Scene.
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Older Than They Look: Thanks to her Life Drinker abilities, looks and feels 26, but is chronologically at least 15 years older.
- Spy Catsuit: Her battle outfit, a skintight black latex jumpsuit with a couple of armored components. This is in stark contrast to the rest of Equinox using Kevlar and Powered Armor for both men and women.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: She's very awkward around Timmy at times, especially when she tries to express her feelings to him.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child
Subject: Various; co-librarian
Hailing from the same dimension as Helena, Charmont was a renowned hero in his dimension. Due to being struck by a car mid-teleportation, he has been trapped between different realities. He eventually finds himself in the heroes' world, quickly joining as a teacher at Power Academy. He teaches multiple classes on the various standard academic subjects—history, science, math, etc.—so the other teachers can specialize. His classes are just very rarely seen in-game.
He even helps run the library in what spare time he has.
Prof. Vilhelm Christiansen
Professor Vilhelm Christiansen
Co-teacher, Mad Science
Role: Teacher, Experimental Ethics
Power: None, but highly intelligent
Harken's nephew, Timmy loves him like a father. When Harken was disowned from the family due to his insanity, he stood up for him, rebelling against his adoptive
parents' wishes. Timmy was then disowned himself.
He went through a rough childhood
, but moved past it to become a successful mad scientist. One of his most prominent inventions is a gender-flip ray, which does exactly what one would expect.
In the present, after Vilhelm deserts the Academy, Timmy assumes control of his Mad Science class.
Timmy has the ability to travel through the Internet and cell phones, making him a very specialized technopath. However, outside of some weapon skills, he's very much a Non-Action Guy
, preferring a support role in combat.
- All Boys Want Bad Girls
- All of the Other Reindeer: As a child, he was ostracized in school by peers and teachers alike when his ability to travel through the Internet was accidentally revealed.
- Amazon Chaser: For Selene.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Several characters note Tammy is really cute.
- Badass Bookworm
- Bi the Way: Heavily implied. While he and Selene are out on a date in their gender-flipped forms, he gushes over how handsome she looks in her new form.
- Big Good: For the gaming club, being its advisor.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Or Cute Clumsy Guy, depending on his current form.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: One patterned with Galaga-esque 8-bit spaceships and monsters.
- Dating Catwoman: With Selene. He even compares her to Catwoman, both in sex appeal and her relationship with Batman (himself). They start out as Friends with Benefits, but genuine affection soon blossoms between the two.
- Gadgeteer Genius
- Gender Bender: Often switches between a male and female form, thanks to his patented gender-flip ray.
- Gender-Blender Name: Goes with the nickname "Tammy" in his female form.
- Has Two Daddies: Though he was biologically produced by a male and female, his father Harken is now engaged to Magi.
- Hot Scientist
- Likes Older Women: Technically. He tells Selene at one point that her age isn't important; he loves her nonetheless.
- Mad Scientist
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Feminine Boy to Selene's Masculine Girl.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: Discussed in-universe. He's researching this effect in regards to shapeshifting and other physical transformations, and is using tests with his gender-flip ray to help with it.
- Nice Shoes: Wears shoes with glowing Tron Lines—sneakers in his male form, wedge heels in his female form.
- Non-Action Guy: In combat, he's mainly in a support role.
- Pretty Boy
- Pronoun Trouble: Generally referred to as male for ease of communication. Timmy himself even lampshades this in dialogue.
- Sensei-chan: Or Sensei-kun, depending on the form.
- Spiky Hair: In both his male and female forms (the latter resembling a pixie cut).
- Support Party Member: In combat.
- Techno Babble: Frequently engages in this. When he does so with Talan and/or Isaac, the conversation cuts to an outsider's perspective; all they hear is incoherent gibberish.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Often doesn't even bother switching outfits when transforming.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Role: Teacher, History of Magic and Mutants
Hailing from 10th-century Scotland, Arielle was a mage brought to the present by Tripp, with whom she often worked together. She has come to the Academy as a teacher, finding a place to teach her theory that magical beings and mutants are linked in some way. She plays a large role as an ally in the Shadow Court sidequests, being the Academy's foremost expert on magic.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Ambiguously Lesbian: She definitely cares for Victoria greatly, but apart from a couple of offhand comments about her beauty, it's only implied to be romantic on her part. She knows about her apprentice's crush and isn't really put off; she just sort of goes with it.
- Badass Bookworm
- Cynical Mentor: To Victoria.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Originally from 10th-century Scotland.
- Hot Witch: As Victoria lampshades.
- Instant Runes: Part of her spells.
- Insufferable Genius: She is very much a know-it-all and isn't afraid to show it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Lady of Black Magic
- Light Feminine Dark Feminine: Dark to Victoria's Light.
- Merlin and Nimue: A variant involving two women and a much smaller age gap, with Arielle as the Merlin to Victoria's Nimue.
- Moe Couplet: With Victoria. Despite her snarkiness, the two have a very close and intimate bond and bring out the best qualities in each other.
- During the school dance, they are seen slow-dancing together (and very adorkably so).
- Nice Hat: A witch hat.
- Princess Curls: Has two large, drill-like curls.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: To contrast with Victoria.
- Rummage Sale Reject: Her wardrobe is very thrown-together, with pieces taken from numerous time periods.
- Sarcastic Devotee: She's loyal to the Academy, but that won't stop her from mercilessly mocking people.
- Sexy Mentor: Victoria mentions that she finds Arielle strikingly beautiful, and appreciates how protective she is (even if she's very darkly cynical about it).
- Simple Staff: A shiny black obsidian staff with a large, glowing purple gem in its head.
- The Smart Girl: For Dr. Archer's Five-Man Band in the past.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She projects a sour and prickly demeanor, but in reality, she cares deeply for her students, the staff, and her new apprentice Victoria.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Victoria's Girly Girl.
- Troll: Gets a kick out of making snarky remarks about everything; often, it's a sign she cares.
- You Gotta Have Violet Hair: Contrasting with the blonde Victoria.
Power: Magical affinity
Subject: Paranormal Activity in the Modern Day; library assistant and Arielle's assistant teacher
Victoria was trained as a mage in strict confinement for nearly her whole life, not allowed to leave her house. As a result, she had a lonely childhood and was treated as a freak by others. She was a quick learner, however, and took to magic naturally; eventually, Victoria left her home and came to Kragsmark to find work fighting evil. Despite what her ditzy behavior
and general attention span
may suggest, Victoria is a witch beyond her years.
She shows up in Kragsmark as the quest giver and main ally for a sidequest chain involving the Shadow Court, and eventually joins the Academy as a teacher (with Arielle taking her under her wing).
- Always V Sexy
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Bookworm
- Beware the Nice Ones: If the people she cares about are put in danger, expect her to unleash hell.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Buxom Is Better / Gag Boobs
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: At one point, she spends a moment trying to track down eye floaters, not unlike Osaka.
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Damsel out of Distress: Gets kidnapped a couple of times, much to her chagrin; she even starts training harder to avoid damsel status. When the Shadow Court comes after her, they intend to use her as a new host for the Shadow Daemon Lord.
- Dark Action Girl: While temporarily possessed during the penultimate Shadow Court mission.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Has a fairly tanned complexion to contrast with Arielle. Her exact ethnicity is ambiguous, but she mentions she has family in the Mediterranean.
- Gamer Chick: Justified, as she was constantly isolated from other people in her childhood and had to keep herself entertained somehow.
- Genius Ditz: Very clumsy and ditzy—but unbeatable when it comes to magic.
- Grew a Spine: Over the course of the game, she goes from painfully shy to an assertive badass.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Hot Witch / Cute Witch: Though more of the latter, she has plenty of adorable moments.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Instant Runes: Used for her spells.
- Light Feminine Dark Feminine: Light to Arielle's Dark.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Has a fairly obvious crush on Arielle.
- Merlin and Nimue: A variant involving two women and a much smaller age gap, with Victoria as the Nimue to Arielle's Merlin.
- Moe: In-universe. Arielle describes her as being "adorable" and feels a need to protect her.
- Moe Couplet: With Arielle. Despite her mentor's snarkiness, the two have a very close and intimate bond, and bring out the best qualities in each other.
- During the school dance, they are seen slow-dancing together (and very adorkably so).
- Not Good with People
- Princess Classic: Her appearance invokes a very princess-like motif, right down to her surname.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her long blonde hair goes down to her waist.
- Security Cling: Often does this with Arielle.
- Shrinking Violet: Though Arielle (despite her harsh snarkiness) gently tries to get her to come out of her shell, and she starts making progress.
- Simple Staff: One with intricate patterns carved into it.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Arielle's Tomboy.
Combat and Power Teachers
Alexei Grigorovich Reznov
Subject: Self-Defense class
A longtime adversary of David Archer, Alexei is the head of the covert Equinox organization. He and his followers are determined to eliminate corruption and bring peace, order, and a new golden age to the world. Their golden age. At any cost.
At the Academy, Alexei is the Self-Defense class teacher, in the vein of Defense Against the Dark Arts
. He has no superpowers per se, but is cybernetically augmented with Super Strength
and has a bionic arm with various weapons and gadgets built into his arm.
Subject Zero and her/his allies find themselves, depending on the occasion, at odds with him or working alongside him.
- Affably Evil: Especially compared to the other villains. His subordinates are shown to, if not like, at least respect him. He can even join forces with the heroes down the line.
- An Arm and a Leg: Lost his right arm in the past. Later on, he has his legs replaced with cybernetics below the knee to improve his endurance.
- And I Must Scream: If he is spared after his boss fight but not convinced to join forces with the heroes, Alexei later goes after Vilhelm's forces with a detachment of soldiers. He ends up being the sole survivor, and is captured and turned into an elite cyborg minion.
- Body Horror: Par for the course for Vilhelm.
- Mercy Kill: When the party encounters him in this state, they are forced to fight him to the death. If Dahlia is in the party, she is always the one to deliver the killing blow after the fight.
- Anti-Villain: Type III, being a Knight Templar.
- Archnemesis Dad: To Dahlia.
- Artificial Limbs: His bionic arm (and later, his legs).
- Badass: Badass Beard Of Evil? Check. Badass Cape? Check. Already badass long before becoming a cyborg? Hell yes check.
- Benevolent Boss / A Father to His Men
- Bond Villain Stupidity: Pushes himself to avert this trope as much as possible; killing enemies rather than spare them, for instance.
- Cassandra Truth: He's one of the first to learn the truth about Terminus, but nobody believes him. So, he decides, he'll make people listen.
- Dark Messiah / Visionary Villain: His subordinates hold him up as this.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He has multiple last-resort backup plans for conquering the world, such as using mind-control technology to subjugate humanity and establish utopia. However, he has deemed such methods too cruel for him—or anyone—to use. For now, anyway.
- Flunky Boss: Being a tactical genius, Alexei doesn't take any chances in his boss fight and summons waves of his elite guard to fight alongside him.
- Genius Bruiser
- Give Her A Normal Life: He left the infant Dahlia in the care of a CEO he was friendly with, to distance her from his dangerous life.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars
- Grandpa, What Massive Hotness You Have: See Shirtless Scene. For a man in his late 50s he's pretty ripped.
- He Who Fights Monsters
- Heel-Face Turn: Can be convinced in the game to join forces with the heroes.
- Icy Blue Eyes: The same color as Dahlia's, notably.
- In a Single Bound: Can jump high distances (and land perfectly) thanks to his cybernetic legs.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: It is revealed much later in the story that, deep down, he believes himself to have crossed the moral event horizon long ago. He genuinely believes that, if he does succeed in achieving utopia, there would be no place for him there.
- Killer Game Master: He very rarely goes easy on his students.
- Knight of Cerebus: The game starts out fairly lighthearted. The arc where he takes over the Academy is where the storyline takes a turn for the more serious.
- Knight Templar
- Tautological Templar: In his worst moments. Alexei believes himself to be utterly benevolent, justifying all of his actions as being For The Greater Good. So obviously, anyone who opposes him or his organization is misguided or evil, right? At least, this is how he outwardly appears.
- Large And In Charge: He's at least a head taller than most other characters (with only Alice matching his height), likely due in part to his replacement legs, and he's in charge of Equinox.
- Literal Change of Heart: Has a powerful mechanical heart, courtesy of Vilhelm, to replace his old one when he was mortally wounded in a mission years ago. It can trigger a massive self-destruct explosion in the worst case scenario.
- The Mourning After: Years after the death of his wife and elder daughter, he still can't move on.
- Not So Stoic
- Pretty Boy: Not in the present (see below), but in flashbacks, he is shown to have been one in the past. His features have coarsened greatly over the years.
- Purple Prose: He loves to hear himself speechify.
- Rated M for Manly
- Shirtless Scene: Has one for the entirety of the battle for Hell, where the evil Helena has ripped up his torso armor. He reasons that, considering the armor damage left him exposed (not to mention Helena's abilities), he's just as vulnerable with or without it. His muscles, cybernetics and mechanical heart are on full display.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: In one of his speeches, he views the traditional superhero's no-killing rule as old-fashioned at best and a detrimental self-handicap at worst.
- The Strategist: To the point where, during an in-game fight, he and his allies gain an increased chance for critical hits.
- Super Strength: Thanks to his cybernetic augmentation; far from being on the same level as naturally-gifted people like Alice, though.
- Swiss Army Appendage
- Taking You with Me: During the battle for Hell, if he's still alive at that point, one choice the party makes during that mission is whether to save Alexei or his men. If they choose the latter, Alexei charges into a horde of Helena's minions, activating his heart's self-destruct function in one last blaze of glory.
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: When James goes missing, Alexei takes over as Headmaster (even though Lily and Magi were next in line for succession).
- We Can Rebuild Him
- We Can Save This World Together: Makes this offer to James.
- Wicked Cultured: Often quotes from Tennyson and Hobbes. If he dies, he quotes Moby-Dick ("To the last, I grapple with thee...") to his last breath.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers James a worthy foe and a potential ally, even though he could never share Alexei's worldview.
Role: The school's cook
Power: Can copy anyone's power by making eye contact with them for a period of time
Role: Teacher, Zen 101