Characters: Power Academy Staff
The staff of Power Academy
open/close all folders
Headmaster James Mall
Headmaster James Mall
Role: Headmaster and Founder of Power Academy
A soldier-turned-superhero, James Mall is the renowned headmaster of Power Academy. He's also a member of an order worshiping a mythical firehawk creature. He's been through no small amount of trouble over the years, and he has put all of his effort and money into the Academy. If it goes under, he's out on the streets. In a relationship with Lily.
- Absurdly Youthful Father: Subverted. James (now 30) has a 9-year-old son, Jackson, who appears as and has the mind of a 19-year-old.
- Abusive Parents: His father tried several times to kick him out of the house before James finally ran away, leading to him joining the military at 16.
- The Alcoholic
- Badass Longcoat: One of his regular outfits, worn without a shirt.
- Berserk Button: Threaten the school, the students, or Lily, and face his wrath.
- Big Good
- Broken Pedestal: Downplayed; he greatly disappoints Talan when he decides to cover up Trigan's murders for the greater good.
- Celibate Hero: Set up, but eventually subverted; for years, he remained this way until he met Lily. In light of his Deal with the Devil, James wanting to stay single makes sense.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Don't let the laid-back, somewhat bumbling facade fool you. He will lay down the law when he has to.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Deal with the Devil: This is how he managed to get Power Academy built so quickly. [[spoiler:He ended up making a deal with a powerful demon. James would be able to instantly create the Academy, the cost being that if his heart was ever broken, he would die and the Academy would be destroyed.
- Eccentric Mentor
- Four-Star Badass: In his early days, leading an elite team of superhumans to defeat Vulcannus.
- Green Eyes
- Hidden Depths: He has an intense amount of pressure on him; Power Academy is his life's work, and if it fails (and it is already in danger of failing), he'll have nowhere to go. It's not until he opens up to Lily that his inner demons become apparent.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Partial inversion; though James is certainly more masculine, between him and Lily, he tends to be the more submissive one. His past "relationship" with Jane seems to reinforce this as well.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Mushroom Samba: After a near-death experience, Mikoto gives him a sedative to calm him down. It has some hallucinogenic side effects.
- My Greatest Failure: He regards his failure to stop Wardson from destroying an entire city as this.
- Mystical White Hair
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The aforementioned Deal with the Devil, which allows him to create Power Academy so quickly, caused a dimensional flux in the Multiverse that ensnared Terminus. The Great Old One is now trapped within the heroes' universe...
- Not a Morning Person: As people who interrupt his naps learn the hard way.
- Only Sane Man
- Playing with Fire
- Really Seventeen Years Old: At age 16, he ran away from his family and faked his age to join the military, just to get away from them.
- The Runaway: From his family as a child. See Really Seventeen Years Old above.
- Team Dad: More or less.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: See Badass Longcoat.
Role: Nurse, Head of the Female Dorms
Lily was once a superpowered teen vigilante before dedicating herself to becoming a nurse. She was also a close friend of the Ashen family; after their mother died and father disappeared, Val and Isaac were adopted by Lily. In addition to being a mother figure, she has served as a crimefighting mentor for them, training Val to manage her powers. At the Academy, in addition to healing people
and providing a calming influence for James
, Lily is the head of the female dorms. She has the ability to control and summon plant life to do her bidding, from healing to combat.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother / Adoptive Peer Parent: Following their mother's death, Val and Isaac (6 and 4 at the time) are adopted by Lily (18 at the time).
- Abusive Parents: Her mother hated her for being a mutant, referring to her as "that thing" and kicking her out of the house when her powers awakened.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Soft-spoken, motherly, ladylike, not afraid to constrain someone with strong vines...
- Combat Stilettos: Often seen wearing high-heeled sandals. Justified in that she usually fights at a distance, as opposed to getting up close and personal.
- Cooldown Hug: Loves giving these out.
- Green Thumb
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Evidenced by the bottles of vodka she has in her room, though she'll only break one out off-duty.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners / Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Mikoto.
- Hospital Hottie
- Lady of War / Silk Hiding Steel
- The Lancer: To James, alongside Harken.
- Living Emotional Crutch: For James. Makes sense in hindsight once his Deal with the Devil is revealed.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Partial inversion; Lily is very feminine, but between her and James, she's more strong-willed and tends to be the dominant one.
- The Medic
- The Mentor: For Val.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's nearly always half-naked in her various nature- or floral-themed outfits. Lampshaded when Jane calls her a slut for how she looks, and when a sedative-addled James mistakes her for a beautiful forest nymph.
- Never Heard That One Before: Gets a lot of comparisons in-universe to Poison Ivy, much to her chagrin.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair goes down to her hips.
- Second Love: For James.
- Simple Staff
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: A big part of her attraction to James, aside from the pretty white hair, is his virtues.
- Team Mom
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Magi C. Waters
Magi C. Waters
Role: Psychiatrist, guidance counselor, truancy officer
General Subject Teachers
Role: Teacher, Moral Dilemma 101
Harken is ostensibly the Moral Dilemma 101 teacher, but with every iteration of the class, the subject changes each time, forcing the students to think on their feet
. He has served as a mentor for James, and despite being legally insane, he is one of the most intelligent members of the staff. Harken has the ability to teleport anywhere, an ability he often uses to surprise people (especially his students). Married to Magi.
- Blinding Bangs
- Four-Star Badass: Revealed to have been one in the past.
- Genius Sweet Tooth
- He Knows Too Much: While they were still involved in the military, James was sent by the government to hunt down and kill Harken, who had gone rogue. However, it turns out he had defected because he learned too many secrets, asking the wrong questions and provoking the wrong people.
- Insane Troll Logic: His moral dilemmas; a simple question is given, with no context given beforehand. Example: Burn it or drown it? (Answer: Burn it and then drown it. The target is a zombie; burning the zombie burns down the building you're protecting from the zombie apocalypse, drowning it doesn't kill it fully, and burning it and drowning it is the only way to ensure it's dead.)
- Insatiable Newlyweds: With Magi.
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: His eyes are constantly changing color, though they are usually obscured by his bangs.
- Large Ham
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Reveals himself to be Timmy's actual father, having hidden the truth from him.
- Mad Scientist
- Shipper on Deck: With Magi. In preparation for Valentine's Day, the two even start assembling a collage photo album of every couple in the school sharing a tender kiss.
- Straight Gay
- The Talk: He and Magi give this to Valerie and Simon. Hilarity Ensues.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Has the ability to teleport.
- When Is Purple: Often speaks in a cryptic manner—usually to confuse the hell out of his students.
Role: Theater teacher, Newspaper Club advisor
Power: Super-fast reflexes
A member of the felis sapiens
race, Mikoto is one of the school's nurses, often resorting to unconventional means to heal people. She's one of the more lighthearted members of the staff
, tending to provide levity to very heavy situations.
Role: Teacher, Villainy 101
The result of Equinox's Project Revenant
, Selene is an elite assassin for the organization, serving as Alexei's right-hand woman and bodyguard. She is, outside of occasional bursts of lucidity, a bloodthirsty killer who relishes battle. As a result of her training, Selene has the ability to drain life from her enemies, extending her own lifespan in the process
, and is currently the Villainy 101 teacher. In a relationship with Timmy.
- Anti-Hero / Anti-Villain: Falls into the former post-Character Development.
- Blood Knight
- Card-Carrying Villain: She's the Villainy 101 teacher!
- Clueless Dude Magnet: Both from Timmy and a lot of generic male students.
- Dating Catwoman: With Timmy. They start out as Friends with Benefits, but affection soon blossoms between the two.
- The Dragon: To Alexei.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Despite being so unstable. She views Vilhelm and his cyborg army as twisted abominations, and rejected his offer to become one of them. She also refuses to hurt children.
- From Nobody to Nightmare
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has various scars across her body—which Timmy finds sexy.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Heel-Face Turn: She eventually sides with the heroes, both in the forum and (if spared after her boss fight) in the game.
- The Lad-ette: Loves video games, drinking, sex, killing, and sports. She does, however, wear a dress and heels on occasion.
- Large Ham: For better or worse; either way, subtlety is not her strong suit.
- Laughably Evil
- Life Drain
- Life Drinker: In Global Civil War, after going on a spree killing criminals that were running rampant, she mentions feeling as though her lifespan has extended by a few years.
- Little Black Dress: Her casual outfit is a tight black leather minidress, with matching heels.
- Love Is a Weakness: Believes so; due to the detachment from people she's built up from all the killing over the years, she grows increasingly fearful of her growing, unfamiliar feelings for Timmy. However, she learns to see it as a source of inner strength.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Older than They Look: Thanks to her Life Drinker abilities, looks and feels 26, but is chronologically at least 15 years older.
- Psychopathic Woman Child: Although she has bursts of lucidity.
- Spy Catsuit: Her battle outfit, a skintight black jumpsuit with a couple of armored components. This is in stark contrast to the rest of Equinox using standard combat armor for both men and women.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: She's very awkward around Timmy at times, especially when she tries to express her feelings to him.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child
Tripp T. Ometer
Tripp T. Ometer
Role: Teacher, History
Hailing from the same dimension as hero!Helena
, Charmont is a gender-flipped version of Victoria, similar to her in many respects. In his dimension he was a renowned hero, but due to being struck by a car mid-teleportation, he has been trapped between different realities. He eventually finds himself in the heroes' world, quickly joining as a teacher at Power Academy.
Prof. Vilhelm Christiansen
Professor Vilhelm Christiansen
Co-teacher, Mad Science
Role: Teacher, Experimental Ethics
Power: None, but highly intelligent
- Abusive Parents: Towards Jackson. Big time. However...
- Anti-Villain: She's aware of the severity of her past actions, but is willing to use any means to achieve her goals.
- Badass Bookworm
- Badass Normal
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Defied; she drugged and raped James in the past, which has traumatized him to no end. It's treated not for shock, but for how her actions have seriously impacted James' life.
- Morally Grey Counterpart: For Lily.
- Evil Matriarch: Downplayed; she's more extreme, but noble in intent, rather than outright evil. That said, many of her actions are worthy of being called out.
- Gadgeteer Genius
- Hot Scientist
- Insufferable Genius
- Jerkass: To illustrate this, she makes her first impression upon entering Power Academy is drag her son Jackson into the cafeteria by the ear, threaten James before handing him her application, and calling Lily a slut for wearing a low-cut top.
- Mad Scientist
- Our Elves Are Different: Rather than being magical, elves in the Power Academy 'verse are highly intelligent.
- Pet the Dog: Her saving Atiago from dying.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Smug Snake
- Ungrateful Bastard: She gets a burn injury treated at the Nurse's Office and doesn't miss the opportunity to call Lily a whore.
- Unusual Ears: Elven ears.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Willing to go to any lengths to achieve her scientific goals.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Role: Teacher, History of Magic
Combat and Power Teachers
Alexei Grigorovich Reznov
Role: Teacher, Self-Defense class
A longtime adversary of David Archer, Alexei is the head of the covert Equinox organization. He and his followers are determined to eliminate corruption and bring peace, order, and a new golden age to the world. Their golden age. At any cost.
At the Academy, Alexei is the Self-Defense class teacher, in the vein of Defense Against the Dark Arts
. He has no superpowers per se, but is cybernetically augmented with Super Strength
and has a [[Swiss Army Appendage
bionic arm with various weapons and gadgets built into his arm.
- Affably Evil: Especially compared to the other villains. His subordinates are shown to, if not like, at least respect him. He can even join forces with the heroes down the line.
- An Arm and a Leg: Lost his right arm in the past. Later on, he has his legs replaced with cybernetics below the knee to improve his endurance.
- And I Must Scream: In the game, if he is spared after his boss fight but not convinced to join forces with the heroes, Alexei later goes after Vilhelm's forces. He ends up being captured and turned into an elite cyborg minion.
- Body Horror
- Mercy Kill: When the party encounters him in this state, they are forced to fight him to the death. If Dahlia is in the party, she is always the one to deliver the killing blow after the fight.
- Anti-Villain: Type III, being a Knight Templar.
- Archnemesis Dad: To Dahlia.
- Artificial Limbs: His bionic arm (and later, his legs).
- Badass: Badass Beard Of Evil? Check. Badass Cape? Check. Already badass long before becoming a cyborg? Hell yes check.
- Benevolent Boss / A Father to His Men
- Bond Villain Stupidity: Pushes himself to avert this trope as much as possible; killing enemies rather than spare them, for instance.
- Dark Messiah / Visionary Villain: His subordinates hold him up as this.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He has multiple last-resort backup plans for conquering the world, such as using mind-control technology to subjugate humanity and establish utopia. However, he has deemed such methods too cruel for him—or anyone—to use. For now, anyway.
- Flunky Boss: Being a tactical genius, Alexei doesn't take any chances in his boss fight and summons waves of his elite guard to fight alongside him.
- Genius Bruiser
- Give Her A Normal Life: He left the infant Dahlia in the care of a CEO he was friendly with, to distance her from his dangerous life.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars
- Grandpa, What Massive Hotness You Have: See Shirtless Scene. For a man in his late 50s he's pretty ripped.
- He Who Fights Monsters
- Heel-Face Turn: Can be convinced in the game to join forces with the heroes.
- Icy Blue Eyes: The same color as Dahlia's, notably.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: It is revealed much later in the story that, deep down, he believes himself to have crossed the moral event horizon long ago. He genuinely believes that, if he does succeed in achieving utopia, there would be no place for him there.
- Killer Game Master: He very rarely goes easy on his students.
- Knight of Cerebus: In the game; he's the first boss where party members can be killed plot-wise.
- Knight Templar
- Tautological Templar: In his worst moments. Alexei believes himself to be utterly benevolent, justifying all of his actions as being For The Greater Good. So obviously, anyone who opposes him or his organization is misguided or evil, right? At least, this is how he outwardly appears.
- Large and in Charge: He's at least a head taller than most other characters (with only Alice matching his height), and he's in charge of Equinox.
- Literal Change of Heart: Has a powerful mechanical heart, courtesy of Vilhelm, to replace his old one when he was mortally wounded in a mission years ago. It can trigger a massive self-destruct explosion in the worst case scenario.
- The Mourning After: Years after the death of his wife and elder daughter, he still can't move on.
- Not So Stoic
- Pretty Boy: Not in the present (see below), but in flashbacks, he is shown to have been one in the past. His features have coarsened greatly over the years.
- Purple Prose: He loves to hear himself speechify.
- Rated M for Manly
- Shirtless Scene: Has one for the entirety of the battle for Hell, where the evil Helena has ripped up his torso armor. He reasons that, considering the armor damage left him exposed (not to mention Helena's abilities), he's just as vulnerable with or without it. His muscles, cybernetics and mechanical heart are on full display.
- Super Strength: Thanks to his cybernetic augmentation; far from being on the same level as naturally-gifted people like Alice, though.
- Swiss Army Appendage
- Taking You with Me: During the battle for Hell, if he's still alive at that point, one choice the party makes during that mission is whether to save Alexei or his men. If they choose the latter, Alexei charges into a horde of Helena's minions, activating his heart's self-destruct function in one last blaze of glory.
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: Briefly takes over as the Academy's headmaster when James goes missing.
- We Can Rebuild Him
- We Can Save This World Together: Makes this offer to James.
- Wicked Cultured: Often quotes from Tennyson and Hobbes. If he dies, he quotes Moby-Dick ("To the last, I grapple with thee...") to his last breath.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers James a worthy foe and a potential ally, even though he could never share Alexei's worldview.
Role: Gym Teacher/Coach
Role: The school's cook
Power: Can copy anyone's power by making eye contact with them for a period of time
Role: Teacher, Zen 101