Characters: Power Academy Staff
The staff of Power Academy
open/close all folders
Headmaster James Mall
Headmaster James Mall
Role: Headmaster and Founder of Power Academy
A soldier-turned-superhero, James Mall is the renowned headmaster of Power Academy. He's also a member of an order worshiping a mythical firehawk creature. He's been through no small amount of trouble over the years, and he has put all of his effort and money into the Academy. If it goes under, he's out on the streets. In a relationship with Lily.
- Absurdly Youthful Father: Subverted. James (now 30) has a 9-year-old son, Jackson, who appears as and has the mind of a 19-year-old.
- Abusive Parents: His father tried several times to kick him out of the house before James finally ran away, leading to him joining the military at 16.
- The Alcoholic
- Badass Longcoat: One of his regular outfits, worn without a shirt.
- Berserk Button: Threaten the school, the students, or Lily, and face his wrath.
- Big Good
- Broken Pedestal: Downplayed; he greatly disappoints Talan when he decides to cover up Trigan's murders for the greater good.
- Celibate Hero: Set up, but eventually subverted; for years, he remained this way until he met Lily. In light of his Deal with the Devil, James wanting to stay single makes sense.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Don't let the laid-back, somewhat bumbling facade fool you. He will lay down the law when he has to.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Deal with the Devil: This is how he managed to get Power Academy built so quickly. He ended up making a deal with a powerful demon. James would be able to instantly create the Academy, the cost being that if his heart was ever broken, he would die and the Academy would be destroyed.
- Eccentric Mentor
- Four-Star Badass: In his early days, leading an elite team of superhumans to defeat Vulcannus.
- Green Eyes
- Hidden Depths: He has an intense amount of pressure on him; Power Academy is his life's work, and if it fails (and it is already in danger of failing), he'll have nowhere to go. It's not until he opens up to Lily that his inner demons become apparent.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Partial inversion; though James is certainly more masculine, between him and Lily, he tends to be the more submissive one. His past "relationship" with Jane seems to reinforce this as well.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Mushroom Samba: After a near-death experience, Mikoto gives him a sedative to calm him down. It has some hallucinogenic side effects.
- My Greatest Failure: He regards his failure to stop Wardson from destroying an entire city as this.
- Mystical White Hair
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The aforementioned Deal with the Devil, which allows him to create Power Academy so quickly, caused a dimensional flux in the Multiverse that ensnared Terminus. The Great Old One is now trapped within the heroes' universe...
- Not a Morning Person: As people who interrupt his naps learn the hard way.
- Only Sane Man
- Playing with Fire
- Really Seventeen Years Old: At age 16, he ran away from his family and faked his age to join the military, just to get away from them.
- The Runaway: From his family as a child. See Really Seventeen Years Old above.
- Team Dad: More or less.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: See Badass Longcoat.
Magi C. Waters
Magi C. Waters
Role: Psychiatrist, guidance counselor, truancy officer
The Nurse's Office
Role: Nurse, Head of the Female Dorms
Lily was once a superpowered teen vigilante before dedicating herself to becoming a nurse. She has served as a mentor and mother figure to Valerie and Isaac, often assisting them where necessary. In addition to healing people
and providing a calming influence for James
, Lily is the head of the female dorms. She has the ability to control and summon plant life to do her bidding, from healing to combat. In a relationship with James.
- Abusive Parents: Her mother hated her for being a mutant, referring to her as "that thing" and kicking her out of the house when her powers awakened.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Soft-spoken, motherly, ladylike, not afraid to choke someone with strong vines...
- Combat Stilettos: Often seen wearing high-heeled sandals. Justified in that she usually fights at a distance, as opposed to getting up close and personal.
- Cooldown Hug: Loves giving these out.
- Covert Pervert: Her reaction when she and James are propositioned by their evil selves for some lovemaking? "Well, it's not like we have a time limit to get back or anything..."
- Green Thumb
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Evidenced by the bottles of vodka she has in her room, though she'll only break one out off-duty.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners / Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Mikoto.
- Hospital Hottie
- Lady of War / Silk Hiding Steel
- The Lancer: To James, alongside Harken.
- Living Emotional Crutch: For James. Makes sense in hindsight once his Deal with the Devil is revealed.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Partial inversion; Lily is very feminine, but between her and James, she's more strong-willed and tends to be the dominant one.
- The Medic
- Ms. Fanservice: She's nearly always half-naked in her various nature- or floral-themed outfits. Lampshaded when Jane calls her a slut for how she looks, and when a sedative-addled James mistakes her for a beautiful forest nymph.
- Never Heard That One Before: Gets a lot of comparisons in-universe to Poison Ivy, much to her chagrin.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair goes down to her hips.
- Second Love: For James.
- Ship Tease / Unresolved Sexual Tension: A bit with Atiago.
- Simple Staff
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: A big part of her attraction to James, aside from the pretty white hair, is his virtues.
- Team Mom
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: In her past, fighting to protect the environment. Today, she seeks for humanity to coexist with nature, wanting neither destroyed.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Power: Super-fast reflexes
A member of the felis sapiens
race, Mikoto is one of the school's nurses, often resorting to unconventional means to heal people. She's one of the more lighthearted members of the staff
, tending to provide levity to very heavy situations. In a relationship with Victoria.
General Subject Teachers
Role: Teacher, Moral Dilemma 101
Harken is ostensibly the Moral Dilemma 101 teacher, but with every iteration of the class, the subject changes each time, forcing the students to think on their feet
. He has served as a mentor for James, and despite being legally insane, he is one of the most intelligent members of the staff. Harken has the ability to teleport anywhere, an ability he often uses to surprise people (especially his students). Married to Magi.
- Blinding Bangs
- Four-Star Badass: Revealed to have been one in the past.
- Genius Sweet Tooth
- He Knows Too Much: While they were still involved in the military, James was sent by the government to hunt down and kill Harken, who had gone rogue. However, it turns out he had defected because he learned too many secrets, asking the wrong questions and provoking the wrong people.
- Insane Troll Logic: His moral dilemmas; a simple question is given, with no context given beforehand. Example: Burn it or drown it? (Answer: Burn it and then drown it. The target is a zombie; burning the zombie burns down the building you're protecting from the zombie apocalypse, drowning it doesn't kill it fully, and burning it and drowning it is the only way to ensure it's dead.)
- Insatiable Newlyweds: With Magi.
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: His eyes are constantly changing color, though they are usually obscured by his bangs.
- Large Ham
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Reveals himself to be Timmy's actual father, having hidden the truth from him.
- Mad Scientist
- Retcon: Changed from Timmy's uncle to his father. See above.
- Shipper on Deck: With Magi. In preparation for Valentine's Day, the two even start assembling a collage photo album of every couple in the school sharing a tender kiss.
- Straight Gay
- The Talk: He and Magi give this to Valerie and Simon. Hilarity Ensues.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Has the ability to teleport.
- When Is Purple: Often speaks in a cryptic manner—usually to confuse the hell out of his students.
Role: Teacher, Villainy 101
The result of the Dark Star's Project Revenant
, Selene is an elite assassin for the organization, serving as Alexei's right-hand woman and bodyguard. She is, outside of occasional bursts of lucidity, a bloodthirsty killer who relishes battle. As a result of her training, Selene has the ability to drain life from her enemies, extending her own lifespan in the process
, and is currently the Villainy 101 teacher. In a relationship with Timmy.
- Anti-Hero / Anti-Villain: Falls into the former post-Character Development.
- Blood Knight
- Card-Carrying Villain: She's the Villainy 101 teacher!
- Clueless Dude (and Chick) Magnet: The evil Helena in the latter case.
- Dating Catwoman: With Timmy. They start out as Friends with Benefits, but affection soon blossoms between the two.
- The Dragon: To Alexei.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Despite being so unstable. She views Vladimir and his cyborg army as twisted abominations, and rejected his offer to become one of them. She also refuses to hurt children.
- For the Evulz: Pretty much her reason for becoming an assassin.
- From Nobody to Nightmare
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has various scars across her body—which Timmy finds sexy.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Heel-Face Turn: She eventually sides with the heroes, both in the forum and (if spared after her boss fight) in the game.
- The Lad-ette: Loves video games, drinking, sex, killing, and sports. She does, however, wear a dress and heels on occasion.
- Large Ham: For better or worse; either way, subtlety is not her strong suit.
- Laughably Evil
- Life Drain
- Life Drinker: In Global Civil War, after going on a spree killing criminals that were running rampant, she mentions feeling as though her lifespan has extended by a few years.
- Little Black Dress: Her casual outfit is a tight black leather minidress, with matching heels.
- Love Is a Weakness: Believes so; due to the detachment from people she's built up from all the killing over the years, she grows increasingly fearful of her growing, unfamiliar feelings for Timmy. However, she learns to see it as a source of inner strength.
- The McCoy: A twisted, Ax-Crazy version, to Alexei's Kirk and Vladimir's Spock.
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Older than They Look: Thanks to her Life Drinker abilities, looks and feels 26, but is chronologically at least 15 years older.
- Psychopathic Woman Child: Although she has bursts of lucidity.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: She's very awkward around Timmy at times, especially when she tries to express her feelings to him.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child
Tripp T. Ometer
Tripp T. Ometer
Role: Teacher, History
Dr. David Archer
Dr. David Archer
Role: Teacher, Team Relations 101, Head of the Male DormsOne of the oldest active superheroes--possibly the very first of the modern-day ones.
Dr. Archer has lived a long and storied career of fighting crime and evil, leading his own superhero team in the past. In the present, he's comfortably retired, becoming a mentor and teacher to fledgling crimefighters—though he's not as frail as he looks, given his immense psychic prowess.
Hailing from the same dimension as hero!Helena
, Charmont is a gender-flipped version of Victoria, similar to her in many respects. In his dimension he was a renowned hero, but due to being struck by a car mid-teleportation, he has been trapped between different realities. He eventually finds himself in the heroes' world, quickly joining as a teacher at Power Academy.
Role: Teacher, Computer Crime Comprehension and Mad Science (co-teacher for the latter)
Power: Can travel through the Internet
Harken's nephew, Timmy loves him like a father. When Harken was disowned from the family due to his insanity, he stood up for him, rebelling against his adoptive
parents' wishes. Timmy was then disowned himself.
He went through a rough childhood
, but moved past it to become a successful mad scientist. Timmy has the ability to travel through the Internet and cell phones, making him a very specialized technopath. However, outside of some weapon skills, he's very much a Non-Action Guy
Prof. Vladimir Kirov
Professor Vladimir Kirov
Co-teacher, Mad Science
Role: Teacher, Shop Class
Power: None, but highly intelligent
- Abusive Parents: Towards Jackson. Big time. However...
- Anti-Villain: She's aware of the severity of her past actions, but is willing to use any means to achieve her goals.
- Badass Bookworm
- Badass Normal
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Defied; she drugged and raped James in the past, which has traumatized him to no end. It's treated not for shock, but for how her actions have seriously impacted James' life.
- Morally Grey Counterpart: Shaping up to be one for Lily.
- Evil Matriarch: Downplayed; she's more extreme, but noble in intent, rather than outright evil. That said, many of her actions are worthy of being called out.
- Gadgeteer Genius
- Hot Scientist
- Insufferable Genius
- Jerkass: To illustrate this, she makes her first impression upon entering Power Academy is drag her son Jackson into the kitchen by the ear, threaten James before handing him her application, and calling Lily a slut for wearing a low-cut top.
- Mad Scientist
- Our Elves Are Different: Rather than being magical, elves in the Power Academy universe are highly intelligent.
- Pet the Dog: Her saving Atiago from dying.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Slut Shaming: Does this regularly with Lily.
- Smug Snake
- Ungrateful Bitch: She gets a burn injury treated at the Nurse's Office and doesn't miss the opportunity to call Lily a whore.
- Unusual Ears: Elven ears.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Willing to go to any lengths to achieve her scientific goals.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Power: Magical affinity
Role: Teacher of Magic 101 and Advanced Magic
Victoria was trained as a mage in strict confinement for nearly her whole life, not allowed to leave her house. As a result, she had a lonely childhood and was treated as a freak by others. She was a quick learner, however, and took to magic naturally; once she finished her apprenticeship, Victoria left her home and came to Power Academy. Despite what her ditzy behavior
and general attention span
may suggest, Victoria is a witch beyond her years and one of the smartest teachers at the Academy. In a relationship with Mikoto.
Role: Teacher, History of Magic
Combat and Power Teachers
Alexei Grigorovich Reznov
Role: Teacher, Self-Defense
Power: Mastery of bladed weapons
Role: Krion's assistant
Role: Gym Teacher/Coach
Role: The school's cook
Power: Can copy anyone's power by making eye contact with them for a period of time
Power: Can invert gravity
- And I Must Scream: As a cyborg in the game.
- The Big Guy: Formerly this for Dr. Archer's Five-Man Band.
- Body Horror: In his cyborg form.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Death Seeker: Before being cured.
- Determined Defeatist
- Face-Heel Turn: In the game, if the sidequest to cure his zombification is not taken by a certain point, Garrett ends up siding with Vladimir on the promise of a cure. He ends up being used as a test subject for his experiments.
- Gonk: Hideously emaciated, as can be expected for a zombie; he compares himself to Eddie.
- Gravity Master: Essentially telekinesis on a single vertical axis.
- Guttural Growler
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Anna, resembling a surrogate father/daughter pair.
- Heroic Neutral
- The Mole: For Vladimir in the game if he is left uncured. This ends up being his undoing in this scenario.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Everyone else in the story has a very Animesque design. Garrett, on the other hand, would not look out of place in a Jhonen Vasquez series.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: In-universe; in the Zombie Apocalypse thread, he (apparently) single-handedly kills Vladimir and stops his cyborg army from rampaging through the town while the rest of the heroes were dealing with Nether.
- Our Zombies Are Different: He's been infected by a zombie bite that will eventually turn him into one, but he retains his humanity via a special drug.
- Stealth Hi/Bye
- Terse Talker: He tends to speak very laconically.
- Violent Glaswegian: In the past. He's mellowed out since then though; the zombification may have contributed.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Played with. At first glance, his power over gravity seems to serve no practical purpose aside from walking on the ceiling—useless except in very specific situations. It is later demonstrated to be essentially a restricted form of telekinesis.
- Wild Hair
Role: Teacher (subject TBA)
Role: Teacher, Zen 101
Role: School lawyer
Role: Formerly, teacher of the "Reading" class; currently, the school librarian
- And I Must Scream: If he closes the book while someone is trapped in one of his stories, they remain frozen in time yet completely aware until he reopens it.
- Badass Bookworm
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Well, white hair.
- Hot Librarian: Though he's not prim or prudish, like usual examples of the trope, he's particularly handsome and bookish.
- Ill Boy: The reason for him temporarily leaving the Academy. Upon returning, he has been cured of the virus.
- Unscurpulous Hero (see Moral Dissonance)
- Moral Dissonance: Jackson and Willow point out that Alzeri's method of conveying a story to his participants—i.e., forcing them to act out the story until the end—amounts to torture. Adrian, on the other hand, is willing to turn a blind eye if it means that people like Vladimir would be subjected to it. This ends up costing Alzeri his job, thanks to Corben's intervention.
- Put on a Bus: And then The Bus Came Back. And then he gets teleported by Corben to prison, on charges of torturing students.
- Scarf of Asskicking
- The Stoic
- Straight Gay
Role: Teacher, Problem Solving 101
Role: Teacher, Arts and Drama
Role: Teacher, Undercover 101
Role: Security, target practice, spare parts