Characters: One Must Fall
A list of tropes pertaining to specific characters in the One Must Fall
video game series. (All trope examples will be assumed to refer to 2097
; when referring to the Contested Sequel Battlegrounds
, please specify it by name.)
- Berserk Button: In Tournament Mode's North American Open, if you finish Crystal with a Destruction move, Christian (a secret player in that tournament) will not take it well. Also, in Story Mode, Kreissack brings out the worst in him.
- Bishōnen: Implied, as the Chick Magnet trope below shows. His character portrait in Battlegrounds emphasizes this.
- Blood Knight: The manual says that he never stops training to win.
- Chick Magnet: His description at the character select screen says that his aggressive style invokes "desire in the hearts of many young women." Then again, being as focused on revenge as he is, he probably hasn't noticed.
- Expy/No Celebrities Were Harmed: He is absolutely not Ken Masters.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: For all his rivalry with Crystal, he's still very protective of her. A good way to invoke this is to play in Tournament Mode, fight Crystal, and finish her with a Destruction move, which prompts an unranked challenge from Christian.
- Leeroy Jenkins
- Power Blonde
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Quoth the game manual: "WAR killed his parents, and he wants revenge." Subverted when he confronts the Iron Fist group in his ending, as their leader pointedly tells him that his vengeance is now finished with Kreissack's death.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Crystal. He's reckless and headstrong in his quest for vengeance.
- You Killed My Father, Prepare to Die: Says this verbatim when confronting Kreissack.
- Ambiguously Brown: She's actually from Ganymede.
- Fantastic Racism: A Ganymede native with a hatred for humans.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Her philosophy. Her ending reveals why this is.
- Ice Queen: Very dismissive of everyone else and their motives and ambitions, which pisses them off to no end. That, or they are confused about who the hell she is.
- Mystical White Hair: A White-haired human-like alien from Ganymede.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Short pale hair, unusual eye color, inhuman behavior/origin, all check out.
- She also happens to predate Rei by a year. 2097 came out in 1994 while Evangelion first aired in 1995.
- Berserk Button: Cossette is...very sensitive about her loss of physical mobility, according to her character bio.
- Fridge Brilliance: Her defensive personality is also the reason for her defensive fighting style.
- Career-Ending Injury: Played straight and subverted. Her injury that she sustained in The Arena ended her career in that sport...but she hasn't been prevented from participating in HAR combat, since the fighters' minds are chemically linked to their 'bots, thus preventing the pilots from sustaining physical injury.
- Disabled Snarker:
Christian: I can only hope that the future ruler (of WAR) will be just.
Cossette: Oh, I will, believe me.
- Genius Bruiser / Genius Cripple: She's the one who designed the Electra HAR and a number of space stations.
- Handicapped Badass: She's paralyzed from the waist down as a result of an injury from The Arena, a sport wherein competitors actually piloted the robots, as opposed to having their minds chemical transferred into them. Doesn't stop her from kicking ass, though.
- Stone Wall
- Ambiguously Brown: He appears to be Native American, though it's not really touched on even in the manual.
- Blatant Lies: Raven's claims in his character bio that the over two dozen people he murdered were killed "in self-defense." Apparently.
- Bodyguard Betrayal: A part of his storyline. However, Kreissack naturally sees it coming.
- Cool Pet: In Battlegrounds, his character portrait has a pet raven perched on his arm.
- Disc One Final Boss: In the shareware version.
- The Dragon: To Kreissack. Interestingly, Raven does NOT get placed as the opponent you fight before Kreissack in Story Mode; in fact, you can expect to fight him anywhere in the line-up prior to the final match.
- Dragon with an Agenda: He wants to take over Ganymede, as Kreissack intends him to do—only he's not doing it for Kreissack.
- The Starscream: He's not exactly secretive about his intentions to betray his boss.
- Irony: His ending. He himself is amused at the very thought of it.
Major Hans Kreissack
Tournament Mode Characters
- Badass Beard: Nathaniel.
- Badass Bookworm: Dr. Lynn Yarr is a medical doctor by profession. She can also run rings around you in HARs designed for speed, like the Jaguar in the North American Open and the Gargoyle in the World Championship.
- Blood Knight: Eva O'Ryan. As she says to you in the Katushai Challenge:
I don't even want the money. Just the thrill of seeing your face after I stomp on it.
- Child Prodigy: Bethany, a pre-teen secret character in the WAR Invitational and World Championship tournaments who was (probably) modeled on creator Rob Elam's then-infant daughter of the same name. She pilots a Nova in the latter tournament, but admits she's not used to handling it.
I may be young, but I was trained by the best!
- Creator Cameo: The hidden tournament opponent Iceman is One Must Fall creator Rob Elam (giving his line "Prepare to meet your maker" a double meaning); the regular tournament opponent James is Digital Extremes founder and future Unreal series' developer James Schmalz.
- Deadpan Snarker: Your player character's mechanic, considering the statements he makes to you when you lose a match.
Trying to keep my boys busy, eh?
Hey, hey, you better get back out there. There's a few places left on that 'bot that weren't ripped to shreds.
- Face Framed in Shadow: Nicoli, the boss of the WAR Invitational.
- The Faceless: Killian, who wears a white Druid-like hood.
- Fantastic Racism: Steel Claw, apparently, since he refers to people who aren't cyborgs as "purebloods."
- Flat Character: It could be argued that, outside of the Story Mode characters who show up in Tournament Mode, the majority of the opponents you face are this. To be frank, we don't really know much about them outside of their "The Only One Allowed to Defeat You" and "I Shall Taunt You" mentality toward your player character. Even Ian Tavares, the boss of the World Championship circuit, doesn't get a whole lot of depth aside from him commending you on having made it to him. At best, you could make inferences about their personalities based on their character avatar pictures (for example, Jahrod wears a headpiece akin to that worn by a Middle Eastern native, while Killian and Selenna are both mysterious characters whose faces are never revealed).
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Ian Tavares (the World Championship boss) and one of your male avatar choices both wear black jackets presumed to be made of leather.
- Hollywood Cyborg: Steel Claw.
- Lightning Bruiser: Ian Tavares, who pilots the Nova in the World Championship.
- Your player character can become this as well, if you choose to pilot the Nova for yourself.
- Same thing for Nicoli and Bethany in the above-specified tournament.
- Ninja: Selenna, who's both a secret challenger (in the Katushai Challenge) and open opponent (WAR Invitational and World Championship). Appropriately, her HAR of choice is the Katana, colored dark blue and purple.
- Not so Fast, Bucko!: On certain difficulty levels, after you beat Ian Tavares and win the World Championship, Nicoli, the final opponent of the WAR Invitational, may challenge you to determine who the real champion is.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Jacob. This may also be true for Jaqouline, although her face is only ever shown from the side so it's not completely certain.
- Player Character: As explained on the main page, in Tournament Mode you take on the role of a unique HAR pilot, choosing one of four avatar pictures for your personal look. Each avatar comes with a specific color scheme for his/her HARs, but you can customize the colors as you please. The player avatars themselves consist of a brown-haired man with bangs hanging over his brow, a dark-haired man wearing Cool Shades and a high-collared black jacket, a woman using one hand to tease her long blond hair in a Ms. Fanservice manner, and a woman with long brown hair and wearing a green turtle-neck sweater.
- Purple Eyes: Ariel and Rolland.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Prince Vassar.
- Skunk Stripe: Eva O'Ryan has one in her brown hair.
- The Tease: Scarlet flirts with you in the Katushai Challenge tournament.
- It's also implied that one of your female player-avatar choices is this, as her portrait shows her teasing her blond hair with one hand (and she's implied to be wearing something sleeveless).
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair: Jaqouline, the boss of the Katushai Challenge.