Characters: Nan Quest
Our protagonist, Nan is an electronics technician and repairman. She liked to play arcade games as a kid. She is lazy and lets quite a few work orders stack up before she gets to them. She has the ability to hum showtunes. She has no particular strengths or weaknesses.
- Accidental Pervert: Nan gets a peek of Henry's bare bum from the crack of his door when he went to go change. Subverted by the fact she wanted to do it.
- And again when she barges in on him changing!
- Badass in Distress: 'Badass' may be stretching it, but she's quite physical when it comes down to it. She has to be saved from Santiago when he attacks her and again later from Henry.
- Buxom Is Better: (In contrast to Ruby) Early in the game, one player asked whether Nan was wearing a bra or not, to which Weaver replied:"Of course Nan's wearing a bra. She needs support when she's on the job."
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Henry believes her as such, despite her laziness. This is also why Henry wants to sacrifice her.
- Mama Goat: During one flashback/hallucination, she goes ballistic on her "husband" who is threatening her and her "kids".
- Mental Time Travel: At certain points, typically when light is created or destroyed, Nan will find herself able to interact with the past by being in the consciousness of a past Nan or being non-present but able to deposit items from her inventory into the past.
- Ridiculously Average Goat: "Nan never really considered herself in terms of traits like that before. But if she had to choose one she'd probably be known for her ABILITY TO HUM SHOWTUNES. Actually come to think of it Nan isn't really sure what makes her special. Maybe nothing."
- The Smart Guy: By virtue of being the player character, is usually the fastest one to solve puzzles.
- Standardized Leader
- Think Happy Thoughts: Often tells the others to 'stop being such a downer'.
- Weapon of Choice: Improvised rebar spear, and later a lead pipe.
Henry is a Gazelle or something. He claimed to have gotten into the hotel quite recently when Nan showed up. He was a travelling on business when he had to stop for the night.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Easily the friendliest and most inoffensive person in the group of survivors.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He certainly jokes a lot towards Nan.
- Dirty Coward: He's run away several times.
- It's All About Me: As long as he can see his family again, any other deaths are excusable.
- The Mole
- Paint the Town Red: More like 'paint his room red'. For some reason it disappears when Santiago appears.
- Pretty Boy
- Screams Like a Little Girl: When being located/surprised in Part 8.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: His typical response to danger is to run away.
- Tears of Joy: When he finds that Nan is not dead.
- The Chooser of The One: He's why everyone else is here.
- TeamKiller: He killed Anna. Alan as well, with him being a Post Humous Character and all.
- Weapon of Choice: Makeshift club. Also the TWISTED KNIFE.
- A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: He is the Pilgrim.
Pablo is a more experienced resident of the hotel, he is first seen in possession of a fire axe. He came to the hotel when he was called in to be it's janitor, about ten days before Nan got there. He has been surviving in the hotel since. He is probably a bat.
- Action Survivor: Manages to survive for at least three days without help, and shows enough bravery to attempt to fight dark creatures and survive it.
- The Atoner: Some sort of variation in Nan's MIND SCREW Nightmare Sequence.
- It's All My Fault: He blames himself for his girlfriend's death.
- Mad Artist: A paint splattered canvas is found in his room, and many similar canvases are seen in Nan's Nightmare Sequence. The recurring totem item is a carving of his design.
- The McCoy
- Must Make Amends: His justification during the final scene of the quest.
- Optional Party Member: The audience elicts to exclude him from the final scene of the quest.
- Red Herring Mole
- The Sixth Ranger
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Non-humorous example. He was in a relationship with an ill woman whom he often fought with, and after a particularly heated argument he stormed out to cool off. Now, as both of them were poor artists, they couldn't afford her medicines...and when Pablo returns he finds her on the floor, dead from a seizure.
- Walking Spoiler
- Weapon of Choice: Fire axe.
AlanAnother guest Pablo found trapped in the hotel, whom had been there far longer. He taught Pablo much about the Hell Hotel and how to survive it. He was eventually carved apart by the Pilgrim. He's Anderson's son, who turned his back on the law.Tropes:
- Calling the Old Man Out: In a letter he left for his father.
- Post Humous Character
- Outlaw: In distant past he was the leader of a gang of outlaws, until his gang was cornered by his father, Anderson. He decides to either flee to the hotel or Go Out With A Bang, depending on whether or not he can manage to find a pen.
Anna is an elevator operator, who came to the hotel in response to a job advert.
- Action Girl
- The Atoner: She sees the Hotel as some form of punishment, and definitely believes she deserves to be there, but for what is not known.
- Counterpart Comparison: With her backstory, Anna is, in the end essentially Nan with her flaws accentuated.
- Heroic BSOD: Her tendency to stare into space thinking of her past misdeeds proves to be quite troublesome.
- Killed Off for Real: ...Or was she? Most likely; she was killed by Henry, a mortal.
- My Greatest Failure: She feels she deserves to be punished because a family of three died due to her negligence repairing an elevator.
- Nice Hat
- Red Shirt
- Screw Destiny: Even if she thinks she deserves to be punished, she's still going to try to escape.
- Weapon of Choice: A kitchen knife.
An ex-US Marshall who stopped by to see the recently-constructed hotel. He might be a dog.
- The Big Guy
- Eyes Always Closed: Well, almost always.
- Go Out With A Bang: He attacks Father Velasco, letting the others escape.
- Nice Hat
- No Sense of Humor
- Old Soldier
- Outliving One's Offspring: As a U.S. Marshall, had to hunt down Alan, his son.
- Papa Wolf: To Kim.
- The Corruption: SOMETHING was happening to him when he was threatening Pablo...
- The Stoic: With a hint of Cynic.
- Weapon of Choice: A revolver.
A college student who stopped at the hotel overnight on her way home.
- Body Horror: The left side of her face and left shoulder is either burned or turned into blasted flakes by the Padre. She can't feel her shoulder or left face anymore, indicating the damage is nerve deep.
- Conspiracy Theorist
- Jerkass: Sometimes.
- Non Action Rabbit Thing: She's shown the least amount of physical ability so far.
- The Smart Guy: Through her words. As party members dwindle, she settles into The Heart through her actions instead.
- Turn the Other Cheek: Her plan to stop the Padre is the kneel before him and ask for forgiveness for her sins. She isn't, but she manages to escape with her life and Body Horror.
- Weapon of Choice: A taser. Henry later steals it from her and uses it to knock out Nan.
A loony, darkness-dwelling fox who honestly believes that the hotel is a free world and a heaven of man's design.
- Above Good and Evil: As he sees it, the Hotel allows everyone to be this.
- Affably Evil: Well, just as long as you don't piss him off.
- Attempted Rape: Tried to rape Nan in the church.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: He's an eerie version of this.
- Evil Is Not Well Lit: Subverted, since every time he is seen he's in some sort of light. Except when he isn't.
- Hazy Feel Turn: regardless of whether or not he's a good person, he pays his debts.
- Fearless Fool: According to him, it's how he's survived.
- Hit by the Corruption: This is strongly hinted towards.
- The Idealist: At least a very twisted version.
- Knife Nut: Carries a switchblade.
- Lean and Mean: His ribs are starting to show due to malnutrition
- Loves the Sound of Screaming: Once defined it as "lovely".
- Mad Artist: As a contrast with Pablo, he is a mad pianist instead of a mad artist. His arrangement, instead of causing tragedy, is inspired by it.
- Revenge: His justification for his actions for the final scene of the quest.
- Optional Party Member: The audience is given the chance to leave him behind for the final scene of the quest and take Pablo instead, which they don't take.
- Slasher Smile: Constantly.
- Terrifying Rescuer
- Think Nothing of It: Actually, more of a Berserk Button, really:"He didn't do it for HER. He did it because HE wanted to.
He tells Nan not to EVER thank him."
The "Uninvited Things"The name given to the dark creatures that inhabit the hotel and threaten to kill the guests. Despite the fact that they seem like a similar malevolent presence, they are indeed, not on the same side.Tropes:
- Always Chaotic Evil
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: Or alternatively, Red Eyes, Take Warning.
- The Dreaded: The three major ones listed below, but especially the Beast.
- Eldritch Abominations
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The recognizable ones.
- Weakened by the Light: Subverted by the ones listed below.
The Padre/Father Velasco (Former, now possessed by the deity of the Anasaki)
Unlike the other creatures in the building, he doesn't seem very afraid of the light, and he seems to be nearly invincible.
- The Atoner: A possible explanation for his annotation of the Bible, and his specific interest in Nan. Turns out his actions were entirely for the greater good, and he and his congregation willingly sacrificed themselves to prevent catastrophe.
- Demonic Possession: how Father Velasco paid for his sins. Lorenzo claims that Velasco is no longer inhabiting his own body.
- Evil Is Burning Hot: He catches fire in his first appearance, it doesn't bother him at all. There's also the bit where he burned his entire congregation alive.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: Even though summer was approaching, Velasco was always so cold...
- From Nobody to Nightmare
- Humanoid Abomination
- Nightmare Face
- Sanity Slippage: Caused by prolonged exposure to the cold, storms, and vermin, apparently. Worse, those "vermin" were the indigenous people back in the 19th century. And he burned them. Turns out he had an entirely valid reason for for this, and his congregation let themselves be scarified willingly.
- Sinister Minister
- The Voiceless Until recently.”Ｎ ｏ．Ｙｏｕ ｗｏｎ’ｔ ｂｅ ｒｅｍｅｍｂｅｒｅｄ．”
A skeletal equine with a cloak and and severed noose hanging around his neck. He is one of the monsters named by Alan. For more tropes on him, see Henry's section.
- Black Cloak
- Dark Messiah: The Pilgrim wants others to embrace death as if it were a service to God. Or maybe he just wants his family back.
- Dem Bones
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Horribly subverted.
- The Dragon: It is implied he has this sort of connection to the Padre. He is eventually revealed to instead by an Outside-Context Villain
- Evil Laugh: The generic dark and hollow "HA HA HA".
- Expy: It looks like the animal version of Death.
- From Nobody to Nightmare
- Humanoid Abomination
- * Nigh Invulnerable: Is unfazed when Nan's rebar sword pierces his skull. It's later revealed that the skull's a mask, so the rebar missed his actual face.
- Weapon of Choice: A twisty-bladed knife.
A huge animal, as black as night, feral and vicious. Cold and unthinking. It lives in the hotel's courtyard, which lies just beyond the windows.
- Big Bad: Possibly.
- Eldritch Abomination:They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast
- Large and In Charge: Subverted — There is no unity within the Uninvited.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast
- Orcus on His Throne: Seems content to sit in the courtyard, so far, while only looking through windows to freak Nan out.
- Your Size May Vary: He's been as large as a hallway, and big enough to blot out the stars.
A friendly Pilgrim who is on his journey to receive his blessing from the Father. and has been at the hotel for centuries since.
- Anti-Villain: Lovable and well-intentioned... Just a bit misguided.
- The Atoner: Or maybe just serving the ancient native scary deity. Either way, he's trying to make up for his failure.
- Black Cloak
- Death Seeker: He tells Nan in no uncertain terms that she needs to kill the Padre, then himself, to properly seal away the evil god that inhabits the hotel.
- My Greatest Failure: His role in Father Velasco's ritual was to kill the Father before spirits could overtake his body. Lorenzo, uncomfortable with the act, hesitated until he saw the dark forces seeping out from the Father's burlap mask, making the Father near invincible, leading to the nightmare of the hotel today.
- Just Following Orders: Is fine with facilitating the deaths of hundreds because the Father said so. To be fair, the ritual almost worked, and the sacrifices were entirely willing, to prevent something from entering the world that could end it if left unchecked.
- Red Herring: For a long time, was thought to be the Pilgrim. It's actually Henry.
- Watching The Church Burn: He was 'the stranger' in the ritual, not someone to be sacrificed, not Anasazi.And he watched as they burned. He wishes he could say God took mercy on them. That he eased their pain.But they suffered. And he watched.
- Wham Line: A couple."On that day, the Father called in his entire congregation, even from nearby towns. And he burnt them alive. But when the doors closed, they knew what was going to happen. Because he told them. They welcomed it.""John 6:53. Truly I say unto you unless you eat the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood you have no life in you".
- Who Wants to Live Forever?
- The Woobie: Gives off this impression even from the start, then we find out about his role in the sacrificial ritual. He had to watch all these people voluntarily burn to death, some of whom he probably knew well.
The RatsThe small group of vermin that play minor, yet important assistance to the protagonists
- Dark Is Not Evil: Easily the friendliest creatures so far. Although The Padre detests vermin(what he called his congregation)), actual vermin are rather nice.
- Due to the Dead: One rat fetches Nan and Pablo food, as thanks for properly disposing of one of their dead members.
Sister Maggie:A nun in Father Velasco's Parish.
- As You Know: In part due her Crazy Memory, Nan already knows her name when the first meet, because they've been quartering together to whole year, although this is the first time the player and Nan has seen her.
- Boomerang Bigot: Jokes about this.She ought to be careful, Mag says. She is sworn to chastity and devotion to the Lord. She shouldn't be looking after that young man like she were some schoolgirl. Even if he IS awfully cute.
- For Want of a Nail: Nan is implied to change the natural course of events by convincing Maggie to visit her mother. This may mean she wasn't there when the Father burnt the parish to death.Anon: SOULS ABSOLVED: 1
- Married to the Job: Like all nuns. However, she has a certain infatuation with Father Velasco, and her frustration is taken a step further when she feels unable to go home for her mother's passing, since the church needs her.
- Secret Keeper: of Nan's "lusty interests."
Click for portrait
A mysterious hooded man, encountered by Nan in one of her "travels".
- Abusive Precursors: he refers to his kin as "Anasazi". Which is Navajo for "Enemy Ancestors".
- Badass Boast:I am the not the first. I am not the last. I face the darkness. I walk in death. I welcome it. And in death I will find salvation. I am he who wears the crown. I am he who sparks the cleansing flame. I am the herald of the dawn. I am the lightbringer.
- Death Seeker: He basically tells Nan that she's meant to kill him, and advises her to thorough.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: he has what seems a triple scar on his face.
- In the Hood
- Light Is Not Good: In the words of a commenter, "We should keep in mind that even Lucifer was once an angel." That being said, according to the information from Lorenzo about the sealing ritual, the Lightbringer is a willing sacrifice to seal away the evil god of the Anasaki, so it's quite possible that he's actually a good guy.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Well, well, doesn't his title sound familiar?
- Painting the Medium: the scenes with him are entirely colored.
- The Chooser of The One: In the past, he chose Lorenzo to kill him in order to fulfil the ritual of redemption. And probably Nan, as well.
- Tomato in the Mirror: he is a goat too. It's not sure what that means for now.
- Walking Spoiler