Characters: Kaleido Star
- All-Loving Hero
- All of the Other Reindeer
- Break the Cutie: Has to go through LOTS of hardship as the performing world isn't half as pretty and rose-tinted as she thought it was.
- Broken Messiah: When at her lowest points.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: In the second season.
- The Ditherer: In the second season, she decides to create a "conflict-free stage" and goes as far as to decline Cathy's offer to app for the role of Juliet to "avoid" another conflict with May. May even calls her out on it, telling her she's running away from her troubles.
- Genki Girl
- Happily Adopted: After her biological parents died, she was taken in by her dad's cousin and his wife, who loved her as much as if she was their real child.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation
- The Heroine
- Innocently Insensitive: She's so oblivious to Ken's feelings for her that she doesn't realize how badly she hurts him as she keeps treating him as just a friend and missing the really obvious signs that he loves her. She even made him cry once when she casually denied that he's her boyfriend and didn't even notice.
- Oblivious to Love: She has no idea of Ken's crush on her.
- Plucky Girl: Big time.
- The Pollyanna
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Rosetta.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: She's got dark pink hair and a cheerful and optimistic personality.
- She's Got Legs
- Ship Tease: Mostly with Ken, Layla and Rosetta.
- Town Girls: The Neither to Mia's Femme and Anna's Butch.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: And one who manages to not become a Knight in Sour Armor!
- Woman in White: Sorta, her leotard is white.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is raspberry-hued, which stands out because even the other native Japanese who visit her have realistic hair colors.
Voiced by: Sayaka Ohara (JP), Sandra Krasa (EN)
- Armor-Piercing Attack
- Broken Bird: The death of her mother and her emotional distance from her good-hearted yet workaholic dad have left deep scars in her heart.
- Brutal Honesty: She never EVER sugarcoats her words and actions.
- Career-Ending Injury: Performing the 'Great Legendary Maneuver' with an almost broken shoulder injured Layla so badly that she won't be able to perform again in the Stage.
- Icy Blue Eyes
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She seems at first to be an arrogant, ultra-perfectionist bitch who loves treating newbies badly at the beginning, but soon we see that she's as hard (if not more) on herself as she is with others and that she loves the Kaleido Stage as much as Sora does.
- Knight in Sour Armor
- The Lancer: First season.
- Lethal Chef: Can't even handle a coffee machine.
- Mentor Archetype: Second season.
- The Perfectionist
- Plucky Girl
- Rapunzel Hair
- Took a Level in Kindness
- "Well Done, Daughter!" Girl: Her mother is dead, and her father is kind but always at work. Young Layla swore to make her dad proud.
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (JP), Jay Hickman (EN)
- Butt Monkey
- Cool Mask
- Fairy Companion: A Deconstructed Trope. Sora thinks she has lost her mind when she starts seeing him, his advice isn't exactly flawless, and when Sora goes into borderline Wangst status she actually stops seeing him for a while.
- Lovable Sex Maniac
- Invisible to Normals: He's invisible to everyone but those who are destined to do great things on the stage and/or whose heart is completely dedicated to the stage.
Voiced by: Chinami Nishimura (JP), Nancy Novotny (EN)
- Badass Bookworm
- Fiery Redhead: Mostly averted, though she has her moments as well.
- Girlish Pigtails
- The Smart Girl
- Straight Man
- Town Girls: The Femme to Sora's Neither and Anna's Butch.
- The Big Girl
- Boyish Short Hair
- Cannot Tell a Joke
- Cross-Cast Role: She plays male roles sometimes.
- Disappeared Dad: Jack "Baron Jack" Heart.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Has BUTTLOADS of female fans in-story, specifically due to her Bifauxnen-ness.
- Like Parent Like Child: She and Jack are very similar.
- Sad Clown
- Town Girls: The Butch to Sora's Neither and Mia's Femme.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has light purple hair.
Voiced by: Kaori Mizuhashi (JP), Serena Varghese (EN)
- Calling the Old Man Out: Genderflipped, as she calls out her Stage Mom.
- The Cutie
- Defrosting Ice Queen: It took her only one episode to melt.
- Fiery Redhead
- Lethal Chef
- Plucky Girl
- Sixth Ranger
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's the Tomboy to Sora's Girly girl.
Voiced by: Fumiko Orikasa (JP), Kim-Ly Nguyen (EN)
- Bratty Half-Pint: Also for one episode.
- Circus Brat: Her dad is the lead of the stagehands, her dead mom was a Kaleido artist. In the second season, she officially joins the Stage.
- Tagalong Kid
- "Well Done, Daughter!" Girl: To her Missing Mom.
- The Atoner
- Big Brother Mentor: To Sora, after his Heel-Face Turn.
- Disappeared Dad: His father, Aaron, died on-stage. His death was Yuri's Start of Darkness.
- Heel-Face Turn
- Reformed, but Rejected: Considering that he did pull lots of shit on the Stage, this is understandable. Thankfully this is later subverted.
- Sixth Ranger: Second season.
- Smug Snake
- Token Evil Teammate: First season.
- You Killed My Father: Believes Kalos to be responsible for his father's death.
- Anime Chinese Girl
- Armor-Piercing Slap: To Sora, when she declines Cathy's offer to app for the role of Juliet. May, already emotionally distraught for a short while, snapped so badly that she started screaming at Sora and then slapped her in ront of everyone.
- Break the Haughty: And holy shit HOW! Not only she falls victim to Leon's "curse" when he deliberately injures her to knock her off her pedetal, but later she gets called out more than once on her arrogance - specially by Layla, her own idol.
- Brutal Honesty: Has even less of a thoughts-to-words filter than Layla
- Child Prodigy: Subverted. May was an ice skating prodigy as a little girl, as revealed by her coach Meredith, but ultimately decided to ditch skating (thought she still skates once in a while) to focus solely on the Kaleido Stage.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Her Berserk Button.
- Jerkass: At first.
- The Lancer: To Sora in the second season as it goes on.
- Large Ham: Thanks to Loudly Calling Her Techniques.
- Plucky Girl: When she gets over herself.
- The Rival
- Spoiled Brat: Until she gets better.
- Supreme Chef
- Took a Level in Kindness
- Tsundere: Extremely Type A, switches to Type B as she develops.
Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (JP), Mike MacRae (EN)
- The Ace: More like a Broken Ace, tho.
- Cynicism Catalyst: Horribly losing his Morality Pet sister Sophie drove him over the edge and very close to the Despair Event Horizon.
- Freudian Excuse: He looks and acts like a perfectionist, cruel, ice-cold Jerkass who practically tortures his potential partners to see their worth, but is later revealed to be deeply traumatised by the tragic death of his sister and partner Sophie, who went through exactly the same Training from Hell he subjects his partners to - and actually was successful, therefore both May Wong and Sora Naegino have to struggle hard to get his trust.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: He still blames himself for his sister's death.
- Jerkass: Initially.
- Kick the Dog: No matter what you think of May, not even she deserves to have Leon deliberately dropping her on-stage an causing her to get seriously injured.
- The Lancer
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Rapunzel Hair
- Took a Level in Kindness: Compare the Jerk Ass Leon from the second season beginning to the much less constipated one from the last episodes.
- Troubled, but Cute
- White Hair, Black Heart
Kenneth "Ken" Robbins
- Butt Monkey
- Cannot Spit It Out: Two where Anna and Mia spend an episode trying to get him to confess to Sora.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Sora, though he's not as pushy as others.
- Everyone Can See It: That he has feelings for Sora.
- The Heart
- Hopeless Suitor: Sora is far too dense to think of him as anything more than a friend, and nothing hints that will ever change.
- Ill Boy: Has a weak heart.
- Love Hurts: His crush on Sora brings him more angst than anything, since she genuinely sees him as just a friend.
- Non-Action Guy
- Tragic Dream: He's the busboy because his heart illness doesn't let him train and become a performer.
- Career Versus Man: She dreamt of being a world-famous singer, but after Kalos' Career-Ending Injury, she decided to become Kaleido Stage's singer so she could stay near him despite Kalos' protests.
- The Chick
- Idol Singer: She sings on the KS stage, and it's mentioned she's been offered CD contracts many times but has refused all of them.
- Team Mom
Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara (JP), Rick Burford (EN)
- The Atoner: For something he didn't do.
- Break Her Heart To Save Her: In one episode, when Kalos felt as if Sarah should pursue her own dream, he tells her to leave with their old friend Andy since she's "no longer needed", leaving her in tears. His plan is ruined when Sora intervenes and forces him to confess his true feelings.
- Career-Ending Injury: He used to be a Stage Magician, but he injured his fingers and now can't perform magic tricks.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead
- Engineered Public Confession: In order to let Sarah know how he truly feels, Sora goes to Kalos' office and teases him to reveal his true feelings. In the meantime, the others bring Sarah to the stage, and she listens to Kalos's words via Sora's hidden microphone.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Invoked by Sora when she sees a photo of his younger self (alongside a teen!Sarah and their companion Andy) and can't believe the baby-faced youth in the picture is him.
- Mentor Archetype
- My Greatest Failure: Has blamed himself for more than 10 years for the death of Yuri's dad.
- Self-Made Man: He started as a self-taught Stage Magician who performed in the streets. 20 years later he's the owner of the world-famous Kaleido Stage.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor
- Team Dad
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: He believes himself to be such, since he asked Aaron if he truly was up to performing the very dangerous Fantastic Maneouver... a few hours before Aaron failed to do it and died, which is the reason why Yuri is pissed off at him enough to try buying out the Stage as revenge.
Jerry, aka Mr. Policeman
Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka (JP), James Reed Faulkner (EN)
- The Big Guy
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Kate the doctor.
- Gentle Giant
- Emotional Bruiser
- Large Ham
- Scary Black Man: Played for Laughs.
- Sunglasses at Night
Voiced by: Mitsuo Senda (JP), Jason Douglas (EN)
- Cool Old Guy
- Miniature Senior Citizens
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Seems to be a Cloud Cuckoo Lander, but is much sharper than you'd think
- All-Loving Hero: Very sweet and kind, could never ever say a bad word about anyone.
- Fangirl: Of Yuri.
- Look Both Ways: How she died. Yuri tricked Sophie into being late for her and Leon's audition for a very important contest, and when she was running towards the stage with less than five minutes to spare... she carelessly crossed the street without glancing around and got fatally hit by a truck.
- Plucky Girl: She was as strongwilled as she was gentle.
- Posthumous Character