Dora "The Explorer" Marquez
Voiced by Kathleen Herles(2000-2007), Caitlin Sanchez(2008-2011), Fatima Ptacek(2012-present)A seven-year-old girl who likes to spend her time going on trips and exploring new places.Tropes:
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: She does this all the time to try and teach skills to the children.
- Free-Range Children: She goes on adventures in every episode and her parents are ok with that regardless of any dangers she could run into.
- Friend to All Living Things
- Girliness Upgrade: "Tween Dora" She also got more feminine as the years went on.
- Gratuitous Spanish
- Idiot Hero: Implied. Why else would she ask the viewer a question every ten seconds?
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: She is kind and nice to everybody, even the villains.
- It Runs in the Family: Dora inherited her grandmother's exploration hobby. Her mother is an archaeologist.
- It Was a Gift: Dora got the star pocket from her grandmother. Her backpack, map and necklace with matching bracelet is also a gift.
- Kid Heroine
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Often in the specials when she actually has to go up against a legit threat, she admittedly can be a bit badass.
- Nice Girl
- No Indoor Voice
- One of the Boys: Especially in the earlier episodes, most of her friends are boys.
- Outdoorsy Gal: She loves being outdoors and exploring.
- Pink Means Feminine: Her shirt (which exposes part of her belly), which especially applies in the new series.
- Plucky Girl: She is bright, determined, and never gives up.
- Tomboy: She loves exploring, has short hair, hangs out with mostly boys, and doesn't really seem to care about her looks.
- Tomboy And Girly Girl: The Tomboy to Isa's Girly Girl.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She loves girly things and doesn't mind dressing up nice for occasions.
- Signature Move: Dora's "Super Soccer Kick".
Boots the Monkey
Voiced by Harrison Chad(2000-2007), Regan Mizrahi(2008-present)He's five years old, and he's Dora's best friend.Tropes:
- A Day in the Limelight: "Boots's Special Day", "Baseball Boots", "Boots to the Rescue".
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: Inverted, he only wears boots. It's in his name!
- Different in Every Episode: Boots is a born gymnast, and he will usually treat a hill as a chance to show off. Other times, he'll just walk.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys
- It's the Best Whatever, Ever!: Boots describes his special day as "my best day ever" and "like all my favorite parts put together."
- The Lancer: There is an early Running Gag where Boots rushes into answering a puzzle, only to get it wrong and flee back to Dora's side.
- Leitmotif: A short, fast harmonica piece.
- Like Brother and Sister: Boots and Dora aren't just good friends; they love each other. "This is evident in "Big Sister Dora", when he speaks of becoming "a big monkey brother." Boots is on close terms with Dora's parents, as well.
- Nice Guy
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: On one Halloween, he can't settle on a costume, so he dresses up as a fire chicken.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Once an Episode: When he jumps over a log.
- Prehensile Tail
Voiced by Sasha Toro(2000-2007), Alexandria Suarez(2008-present)Dora received this backpack just before her first trip.Tropes:
- Bag of Holding
- Catch Phrase: After picking out the item for Dora, she'll usually say "Delicioso!" after 'eating' the rest of the things.
- Chekhov's Gun: A number of objects that fit this trope are held inside of Backpack for later use.
- Crazy-Prepared: Absolutely. A number of things that Dora needs just arbitrarily happen to be in the bag.
- A Day in the Limelight: "Dora's First Trip" and "The Backpack Parade".
- "I Am" Song: You know the one...
- It Was a Gift
- Meaningful Name
Voiced by Marc WeinerHe has his own pocket in Dora's Backpack and is...well, it's pretty self-explanatory.Tropes:
- Different in Every Episode: The map itself is never the same twice, but it never fails to meet Dora's needs.
- "I Am" Song: It's listed under Broken Record on the main page.
- Magic Map
- Meaningful Name: Well, yeah.
- Scarily Competent Tracker
Benny the Bull
Jake Burbage(2000-2007), Matt Gumley(2008-present)
- A Load of Bull: Obviously.
- The Big Guy: When he joins Dora and Boots on an adventure.
- The Klutz: Benny is really clumsy at times.
- The Load: Is often portray as being bumbling and trouble prone, with a whole episode revolving around saving him.
Tico the Squirrel
Voiced by Jose Zelaya(2002-2007), Jean Carlos Celi(2008-present)Tropes:
Isa the Iguana
Voiced by Ashley Fleming(2000-2007), Lenique Vincent(2008-2011), Skai Jackson(2012-present)Tropes:
- Tomboy And Girly Girl: The Girly Girl to Dora's Tomboy.
Swiper the Fox
Voiced by Marc Weiner
- Affably Evil
- Catch Phrase: "Oh, man!"
- Phrase Catcher: "Swiper, no swiping!"
- "You're too late!" *toss* "You'll never find it now!"
- Distressed Dude: In "Dance to the Rescue".
- Friendly Enemy: When he's not trying to rob them, Swiper is actually quite friendly towards Dora, even sincerely wishing her the best of luck when she loses something.
- Future Me Scares Me: The Bad Future (by this shows standards) version of Swiper in the Yet Another Christmas Carol special. In that future, Swiper got so bitter after being put on Santa's naughty list that he became a real thief who steals (nonstop) regardless of whether or not the victim says Swiper, No Swiping!. It was bad enough that they had to stop having the Christmas Eve Party because he stole everything. As a result of this behavior, he ends up alone on Christmas with only the stuff he stole as company.
- Goldfish Poop Gang
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: When he's not trying to steal something from Dora and Boots, he can come off as this.
- Leitmotif: Like Boots, he has one. It sounds like a shrub being shaken.
- Swiper, No Swiping!: The Trope Namer. Also possibly the most Egregious example of it.
- You Are Too Late: Will gloat about this every time he successfully steals something.