open/close all folders
- Witch: Hay Lin's grandmother gives her a map that shows the locations of the twelve portals as glowing areas.
Ride/Disney Theme Parks
- Disneyland has a live show called Mickey and the Magical Map. Mickey tries to complete the sorcerer Yen-sid's enchanted map, but while trying to work on in one area that refuses to be filled in,it comes to life and sends him on a strange journey.
Films — Animated
- In Rise of the Guardians, the North Pole has a large globe covered in lights that represent believing children.
Films — Live-Action
- The charts used in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End can guide the reader to places not displayed on more accurate charts. They also bear vague instructions on how to overcome the obstacles encountered along the way.
- The map of the universe stolen from God in Time Bandits.
- The map that everyone wants in Dungeons & Dragons, which at one point pulls two of the main characters inside it.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: As the Obscura goes on a rampage, MACUSA watches a map of Manhattan which shows its progress as a moving light.
- One of the Chaos assassins in Blood Pact has a living map on his hand's skin, created by powerful Chaos sorcery, which shows the part of the building where he currently is.
- Harry Potter has the Marauders' Map, which when activated shows location and movement of everyone on the Hogwarts grounds.
- The map of the Lonely Mountain in The Hobbit is a more subtle example. Most of the time it's just a regular map, but in the light of a certain phase of the moon it reveals information crucial to getting into the mountain alive.
- In The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Coriakin creates a map for King Caspian, depicting the voyage to date with supernatural accuracy — including photorealistic details (in a setting where photography doesn't exist!) on the cities, when viewed under a magnifying glass.
- The Kane Chronicles
- In The Red Pyramid, the Egyptian Queen navigates into the Land of the Dead via a map called Spells of Coming Forth by Day, a.k.a. The Book of the Dead.
- In The Serpent's Shadow, the First Nome is shown to have a map of the world showing clay figurines being destroyed as loyal magicians are lost. It's not clear it it's the map itself that's magic or the figures, but it could well be both.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: When Percy Jackson goes to the undersea kingdom, there is a mosaic in the palace there that forms a map of the battle taking place, with colored tiles that move around on their own for the different forces.
- One episode of Legend of the Seeker has a mapmaker selling maps to bounty hunters that revealed Richard's location as a glowing point of light.
- Once Upon a Time:
- Rumpelstiltskin gets a blood-activated globe from Cora that enables him to locate his son.
- In the third season, Peter Pan gives Emma a map that is blank, but will reveal the way to Henry when she admits who she really is.
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Dragon magazine #125 had the following magical maps.
- Map of Illusion: Detects and shows any illusions within range.
- Map of Magic: Magical auras are highlighted in pulsating red.
- Map of Secret Doors: Secret doors appear as yellow dots on the map.
- Map of Traps: Detects and shows any traps within line of sight.
- Kingdom of Nithia. The artifact map Master Plan shows the current position of all burrowers in the Hollow World who have been paralyzed by the Spell of Preservation.
- Dragon magazine #125 had the following magical maps.
- The Legend of Zelda
- In dungeons, Link finds maps of them that reveal rooms he's been in, and when paired with the compass they reveal all the dungeon's treasures as well.
- In The Wind Waker, Link can collect a series of maps, some of which have special properties. Treasure and Triforce maps cause a pillar of light to appear over the treasure's location, and the ghost ship map allows it to be boarded to retrieve a Triforce piece.
- The Sheikah Slate in Breath of the Wild has an updateable map of Hyrule that lets Link warp to activated Shrines. It can also produce 3-dimensional maps of the dungeons that let Link manipulate certain mechanical portions of them. The DLC also adds a function that lets Link review the last 200 hours of progress in the game.
- The magic map from King's Quest III is similar. When Gwydion first finds it, the map is completely blank. As he explores Llewdor, though, the map lights up and he can quick travel to that location. Even more than that, when he is both on the pirate ship and the coast of Daventry, the map updates so that it reflects the new region.
- In King's Quest VI the magic map, so named because it allows you to teleport, also reveals the location of the mysterious Isle of Mist after a certain point in the game, a hidden island which is rumoured to change locations. The map isn't altered by anybody to show the island; it appears on its own.
- One of the main objects in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is actually called the Magical Map. It's mostly blank at first, but each Crystal Star Mario claims causes the map to get filled in with the location of another. Said Crystal Stars tend to fall into various characters' hands and move about before Mario starts tracking them down, and despite it being made a thousand years ago, displays locations as they are in the present, such as a suburban neighborhood or a Space Base.
- Minecraft's map is crafted from a Magic Compass and in multiplayer, it'll show the positions of other players, if they happen to be holding their own copy of that map at the time.
- The Map from Dora the Explorer shows the destinations relevant to that episode and it changes what it shows for each and every adventure. Also, it's sentient.
- In Wakfu, the main characters come across a map possessed by a demon named Grufon (as in, the minor shuhsu is stuck inside the map). The map is very accurate and offers handy shortcuts to various places. However, it also has a mind of its own, and often tries to trick the party by offering false information based on half-truths. Frequently, Grufon is threatened (usually with fire) by characters into giving the right information.
- As in the comic book, the girls in W.I.T.C.H. get a map that shows where the portals to Meridian are. It's blank until used with the Heart of Kandrakar.
- Season 5 of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic introduced a large magic map in Twilight's castle that points certain members of the Mane 6 to parts of Equestria where they are needed.