Voice: Naomi Iida
Blood Type: A
Origin: London, England
Magical Power: Wind
Weapon: Wing Blade
Familiar: Hoo the OwlThe main character, she is the newest member of Gilverado's Angels. She was raised in a happy family in England, when she was kidnapped. In a flash of light she was spirited away to Gilverado, where Count Dior took her in and taught her wind magic.
- Animal Motifs: Owls and feathers
- Blow You Away: Fights with wind magic.
- Childhood Friends: With Sakura
- Drop Dead Gorgeous: One stage-complete image shows her lying in a casket with flowers.
- Mythology Gag: She is dressed and hairstyled similarly to Alice
- The Owl-Knowing One: Her familiar
- Sleep Cute: In one of the second game's stage complete images.
Voice: Miho Hayashi
Blood Type: B
Origin: Berlin, Germany
Magical Power: Death
Weapon: Haunt Scissors
Familiar: Kiki the Petit EvilThe youngest and most violent of the team, Casper was a german child who does not remember how she got to Gilverado, to the point that Gilverado is more her home than the real world. She fights with the power of Death.
- A-Cup Angst: In her first ending in Deathsmiles IIX, in which she wears a "sexy" outfit whose top is too big to fit on her. The other girls express their disapproval to Casper. The main difference between this game series and an h-game is the camera angle.
- Animal Motifs: Bats and devils
- Bat out of Hell: Lots of bat-type symbols in her outfit, and she also has bat wings.
- Funetik Aksent: She has a stereotypical German accent in the first game.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Her weapon is a big pair of scary scissors.
- Kill 'em All: Her familiar, Kiki, actually says this in front of Hades Castle.
- Little Miss Badass: She the youngest of the group (before Supe came along), yet she uses the power of DEATH to rip enemies apart.
- Precision F-Strike: With a dash of Bilingual Bonus. In Sakura's "Stay" ending, she utters "Holy Scheiße!" in her mind. In other words, "Holy shit!"
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Her ending when she leaves Gilverado puts her in the real world, in front of the reason she was spirited away, kidnappers, with her powers and shears still intact. Oh Crap! indeed.
- Slasher Smile: Especially in the first game.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: She disappeared during a kidnapping, and lost her memories prior to appearing in Gilverado.
Voice: Rumi Abe
Blood Type: O
Origin: Paris, France
Magical Power: Fire
Weapon: Tome of Judgment and Wand of Justice
Familiar: Bobo the dragonHailing from France, Follett was drowning in an icy river when she ended up in Gilverado. Still freezing from the cold, her physical and emotional stress manifested into fire magic, burning down an entire forest. She still retains the power of fire, and uses it as a force of good.
- Animal Motifs: Dragons
- Child Mage: Legally a child, anyhow.
- Fanservice Pack: Her proportions are noticeably changed in the second game.
- Hot Teacher: In her second ending in Deathsmiles IIX.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: She prefers to be alone with her magic book.
- Playing with Fire: Her magic is this.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Her pet dragon is smaller than she is and speaks very slowly.
Voice: Natsuko Tauchi
Height: 160cm (first game) / 162cm (second game)
Blood Type: O (first game) / AB (second game)
Origin: California, USA
Magical Power: Spirit User
Weapon: Thorny Whip
Familiar: Tee-Tee / Titi the Flower NymphThe oldest and designated leader. Rosa came from California, USA. Her parents were owners of a bar there. She was spirited away to Gilverado when a car crash almost killed her. The first to meet Count Dior, it took her a long time to cope with her loneliness. She now leads the remaining children who join Count Dior's new family, fighting with powerful Spirit Magic.
- Animal Motifs: Fairies and butterflies
- Bittersweet Ending: Her remaining in Gilverado.
- The Captain: Designated one, rather. She's the oldest of the group and the first one to arrive in Gilverado.
- Fairy Sexy: In the first game, Titi is wearing nothing from the waist down. Rosa is also this when her fairy wings are active.
- Fanservice Pack: Her proportions, and the relative size of her clothes to her body, are noticeably altered in the second game.
- Growing Up Sucks: If she decides to stay in Gilverado, she returns to Dior, apologizing for considering returning to the real world. Count Dior responds that she is an adult, and that was her choice to make. With her leaving being the happier ending, her staying is bittersweet at best.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Almost literally - the main person she comes on to is Sakura, the only other character who wears lipstick. She is also shown putting lipstick on Follett in one of the stage-complete images.
- Supporting Leader: She's the designated field leader for the Angels. That said, Windia is the protagonist, and the first game's story focuses on Sakura.
- Whip It Good: It's her Weapon of Choice.
- Valley Girl: In the NA version. Like, totally. She does come from California...
Voice: Kaori Nakamura
Blood Type: AB
Origin: London, England
Familiars: Karko and KutaA boss in the first game, she is Jitterbug's daughter. Coming to Gilverado, dark power manifested in her like her father. Unlike the heroes of the story, Sakura was stigmatized as a witch. She fights to protect her mother.
- Animal Motifs: Spiders & ravens
- Be All My Sins Remembered: Her "leave" ending. Jitterbug convinces her to leave her sick and dying mother in Gilverado on a split second decision. In the real world, they live a successful life of crime, but she forever regrets leaving her mother. Some of the other girls have a hint of this in their "leave" endings as well, but theirs end on a more lighthearted note.
- The Cameo: In a few of the endings of Deathsmiles IIX.
- Childhood Friends: With Windia
- Cute Witch / Hot Witch: Sakura is not as well-developed as Rosa and Follett, but she does wear makeup.
- Deuteragonist: In the first game, while Windia's the protagonist, she's the most plot-relevant character (what with her dad being the Big Bad).
- Difficult but Awesome: Normally, the original four's familiars shoot in the same direction you're shooting. Sakura's familiars don't follow that rule, and instead shoot in the opposite direction of your movement (i.e. You move down, they point up.), causing a lot of confusion to the uninitiated. Learning how to control her properly gives you an incredibly versatile character that can cover multiple fronts and clear away suicide bullets like a champ, thanks to having two familiars at her disposal.
- Enemy Without: When playing as her, one of these is created at the end of stage B-2 so that the boss battle won't need to be changed.
- Eye of Newt: Her cooking looks like a parody of the classic Macbeth recipe which looks gross to Casper. It turns out her cooking is actually quite good, and loved by the other characters. In Casper's second ending in Deathsmiles IIX, Casper still doesn't show any interest in trying out Sakura's cooking.
- Promoted to Playable: She was made the 5th playable character in Mega Black Label.
- Shopkeeper: In the iOS mode of Deathsmiles, selling to Princess Tiara.
Voice: Eriko Yamana
Familiar: MuShe originally appeared in the third drama CD as the grand-daughter of the Queen of Gilverado. She was unable to use magic, and thus sought the ability within the Ice Palace. Several months later, a freakish purple animal approached her and unlocked her magic potential. This animal, who she named Mu, then ordered her to fight against a new wave demonic invaders. She buys items from Sakura in order to increase her power.
- The High Queen: If she decides not to forgive Mu.
- Royal Brat: She states that nobody in her kingdom is allowed to be more selfish than her.
- Spot of Tea: She likes tea parties a lot.
- Star Power: Her familiar shoots out stereotypical five-pointed stars.
Voice: Yasuko Funasaka
Blood Type: A
Origin: Copenhagen, Denmark
Familiars: Pipi and PepeA 12-year-old boy from Copenhagen, Denmark introduced in the second game, and the brother of Supe. He tried to rescue Supe from falling through ice, but ended up in Gilverado instead. After arriving in Gilverado, he encountered a drunk bum named Goldberg, who enslaved him. Goldberg decided to try a money-making scheme in which he would pretend to be Count Dior and Lei would wear an angelic maid uniform, when the events of the game began and Lei found himself caught up in the battle against Satan Claws.
- Bittersweet Ending: In his second ending, he seems to be happy but Goldberg appears unreformable.
- Cleavage Window: In the shape of a heart.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: His description in the history mode of the iOS port of Deathsmiles also states that he looks like a girl. One review even says, "Cue Admiral Ackbar!" (ref. "It's a trap!")
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: His familiars are these, or at least, light and dark.
- Heart Symbol: Goes with the whole Cupid & cherub theme of his outfit.
- Moveset Clone: He uses Sakura's playstyle, but his shots are much different and harder to utilize.
- The One Guy: He's the token dude among the playable characters.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: He is dressed up in gothloli clothes just like the girls.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Light blue hair, no less.
- Your Door Was Open: In his first ending, Casper walks in on him while he's changing out of his outfit. And it's shown to be a single-piece outfit that is either all the way on or all the way off.
Voice: Anna Kagami
Blood Type: AB
Origin: Copenhagen, Denmark
Familiar: The ghost of TyrannosatanA tiny, seven year old girl from Denmark who somehow acquired the evil power of Tyrannosatan. She was ice skating, but then fell through and ended up in Gilverado. The first person she met was Satan Claws. She was later found on the streets by Windia, and taken in to live with the others. Satan Claws had planned for this and exploited Supe in order to mortally-wound Count Dior and steal the Wish Notes.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Her familiar is none other than Tyrannosatan!
- Badass Adorable: Again, Tyrannosatan is her familiar.
- Bookworm: In her second ending, she falls asleep while reading a book. In Follet's second ending in Deathsmiles IIX, Supe is the only one who appears to enjoy learning.
- Creepy Child: She is introduced as possessed by evil when Count Dior falls in the second game.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Her familiar is Tyrannosatan. She's also one of the heroes.
- Living Shadow: Shown in one of the stage-complete images.
- Manchurian Agent: Apparently used as part of Satan Claws' plan to steal the Wish Notes.
Voice: Junpei Asashina
Height: 183 cm
Blood Type: ABThe Big Good of the story, Dior lived a lonely existence for most of his life, due to his magical power. When he found Rosa, he saw a resemblance to how he ended up in Gilverado, and decided to take care of her and teach her magic. He then devoted himself to taking care of the "Lost Children" who end up in Gilverado. He is also an ally of the King. He owns a treasure chest containing a set of magic Wish Notes which can grant one wish.
Voice: Junya Inoue
Height: 185 cm
Blood Type: AB
Origin: London, EnglandThe villain of Deathsmiles, he was a corrupt stock broker from England who was obsessed with money. His entire family was in a car crash when he, his wife and daughter all ended up in Gilverado. One would think that he and his daughter Sakura were therefore better off than the children who ended up in Gilverado alone. Instead, Jitterbug's anger and desire to get back to the real world manifested into evil power. Obsessed with leaving the spiritual world of Gilverado to get back in the real world and a life of material wealth, he experiments with the gates of hell to find a way back.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: In the real world he switches to a black coat and hat. He also wears these as Pidgeon Blood Jitterbug.
- Beard of Evil: Shaved off in his real world outfits.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Jitterbug was one of these in the real world.
- Creator Cameo: He is voiced by the artist and planner of the game series.
- Karma Houdini: Despite a mauling by Tyrannosatan, he successfully flees to the real world with his powers intact. He later returns as a secret boss in the sequel, and actually has to take care of his wife and daughter in the sequel's true ending.
- Money, Dear Boy: Quite literally wants to leave the spiritual realm of Gilverado so he can return to a life of material wealth.
- Swallowed Whole: By Tyrannosatan. Well, Tyrannosatan does bite him first, at least. He's still pretty intact when he falls out of Tyrannosatan after you destroy his ribcage, though.
- True Final Boss: As Bloody Jitterbug in the first game and Pidgeon Blood Jitterbug in the second.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: DEMONIC IMPERATOR TYRANNOSATAN, the most METAL name for any boss ever
- Eldritch Abomination: He looks little like a T-Rex, and little like Satan, and describing him beyond "supernatural, skeletal, pteradon" wouldn't be easy.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: Tyrannosatan suddenly appears and chews on Jitterbug near the end of the first game.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Let's repeat, DEMONIC...IMPERATOR..TYRANNOSATAN
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Satan as a dinosaur.
- Satan: It's right there in the name.
Mu the Dream EaterA dream eater responsible for the deaths / permanent sleep of many. It decides to make its home in the subconscious of Princess Tiara.
- Evil Laugh: "Ku-fu-fu-fu..."
- One-Winged Angel: A big elephant-looking thing with a single tusk.
- Power of the Void: Its name is "Mu," which is the Japanese word for void, and it derives its power outside of physical reality.
- The Unintelligible: In the real world, it can only say "Mu."
Voice: Sei Hara
Origin: FinlandThe villain of the second game. He arrived in Gilverado some time ago and fought against Count Dior, but lost the battle and was sealed in the demon dimension. As Christmas approached, he returned and met Supe. He then exploited her in order to mortally-wound Count Dior and steal the Wish Notes for himself. He has a great affinity for cute things.
- Acrofatic: Satan Claws sure is jolly and mobile.
- Big Bad: Of the second game.
- Dirty Old Man: The opinion of pretty much every character who meets him.
- Dragged Off to Hell: After being defeated.
- Egopolis: In the second game, the bonus stage is a Circus of Fear dedicated to himself.
- I'm a Humanitarian: He wants to eat Lei.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: One picture shows Satan Claus picking up Supe, commenting on her cuteness.
- Make My Monster Grow: Satan Claws does this to himself.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Satan as Santa Claus.
- Was Once a Man: He was originally a man from Finland.