Played by: Guy JodoinHe is the ship’s captain and Valence’s love interest. Brave and fair, he always looks out for his crew. Famous for his bad speeches and proverbs.
"If you lose hope, get out of your houses and look up to the starry night and remember the crew of the Romano Fafard is there, looking for a new planet where we could all move, somewhere, in a galaxy near you. And amidst all the uncertainties that come with this mission, one fact is clear: we won't be back for supper." note
- Badass Boast: When he's under the effect of a Truth Serum gas in the second movie and has had enough of Brad's threats and backstabbing, he lets one loose:Patenaude: Brad, if you try something, I'll cut you into pieces, put you in the blender, push "smoothie"... and drink you.
- The Captain: He's the captain of the Romano Fafard.
- Determinator: He'll find the perfect uninhabited planet for the remaining Earthlings even if he has to personally scour the entire galaxy. When it's revealed that there is no uninhabited planet, he resolves to pass through a space-time breach to warn the Earth of 2008. Unable to pass through the rift in time, he still sends a video - which quickly becomes a ridiculed Internet Meme used as an ad by a petrol company.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Brothers in his case, being an only child he is happy to find out he has a brother even if it's Brad and they spend a lot of the episode pranking and teasing each other (until Brad wants to kill him to not share inheritance). Even after they realize it was a misunderstanding and they go back at hating each other Charles still indulge one last hug with his fake brother in private.
- It Has Been an Honor: When the mission comes to an end at the end of the second movie, he says this to the rest of the crew before officially demobilizing them.
- Malaproper/Metaphorgotten: His speeches are rife with these. For example:Patenaude: "Slow and steady, we must start at Go, collect 200$ and buy Connecticut Avenue." notePatenaude: "Sow the wind and reap... corn and... potatoes." note
- Only Sane Man: He has his quirks but he never forgets his mission is finding a new planet and time is of essence.
- Team Dad: He is the one who stops dispute, gives personal advises when needed and serves as a father figure for Flavien.
- The Insomniac: Since he became captain, Charles does not sleep anymore. This can cause problems, for example when the others have to anesthetize him.
- Pungeon Master: The captain wanted to become a humorist, but had to drop this idea since no one thinks his jokes are funny but himself.
- The Stoic: Remains calm and steady in the face of adversity. Also, when the ship rocks back and forth, he and Serge are the only ones who don't fall or stumble.
- Not So Stoic: However, he does lose his temper when annoyed, angry or experiences other strong emotions he tends to crack.
Played by: Stéphane CreteHe is the scientist and hated by everyone else on the ship. He was second officer until episode 58. Brad is a liar, a manipulator, a dirty bastard; he is pretentious, coward, egoist, lazy, lousy, etc. His only known good trait is that he’s very clean.
"Why is it that every time someone says my full name, I always feel like I'm about to get hit?" note
- Bad Liar: He always comes up with fake injuries when he doesn’t want to do something, but they are never even remotely believable. Those injuries include spraining his pancreas, stretching his kidney, and having a tooth with a bloody nose.
- Let's not forget his complaint that he must stop working because his wrist was heavily strained by Bob throwing a tissue at him.
- "He threw it hard!"
- Let's not forget his complaint that he must stop working because his wrist was heavily strained by Bob throwing a tissue at him.
- Berserk Button: He is proud of his bastardry but when an alien actually want to use them to make a horror movie he goes berserk and for the first time in his life he made someone fear him in his anger.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: He's the engineer behind the construction of the ship and in charge of keeping it running as well as the only scientist. Seeing how it was built on the cheap while cutting every corner, it's an amazing feat that the Romano-Fafard hasn't fallen apart yet. He is quite lazy and proud of this and chooses to coast his way through his assignments by doing the absolute minimum of work, however. His maintenance doesn't even rely on brilliance, his father is the one who made most of the ship in a guaranteed to break after three years and Brad learned how to fix part of it as part of the family scam.Brad: It means it breaks in three years but takes three second to fix if your from the family.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Averted, he bribed his way in and even took out the competition because he didn't feel the most qualified. He is only there because he is the sole scientist on board now.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He defeat an alien who captured all the others single-handedly because he thought it was still staged. If he stops being a selfish coward he can save the day a lot.
- Dirty Coward: Main trait after unpleasantness.Brad: "Please! Don’t kill me! I have a ship full of friends you can kill, but don’t kill meeee!"
- Enfant Terrible: As a young child, he killed his grandfather in winter while the snowblower was approaching, telling him that if he didn't give him five dollars he'd push his wheelchair off the porch and into the snow pile.
- Entitled Bastard: He thinks simply being present should be enough for him to get all the laurels.
- Foe Yay: While under the effects of the Truth Serum gas, he said... interesting things about what he thinks of Captain Patenaude.Brad: "You look cute when you cry." note
- It's All About Me: "Captain, if you die can I have your desserts?"
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Not necessarily gold but he does end up admitting he likes the crew a few times and his insults are mostly because that's literally the only way anyone communicated with him and so he has no idea how to express it. He has an on and off Vitriolic Best Buds with Flavien and Bob when he doesn't cross a line and did save the crew at least four times.
- Karma Houdini: Despite everything he's done, the worst thing that probably happened to him was getting demoted from his post as second officer.
- Mr Seahorse: In the episode Maman Brad (Mommy Brad), Brad gets pregnant and has a baby alien. The baby, whom he named Jaqueline, was delivered though his nose.
- Narcissist: "Testing, one two, one two, I'm handsome".
- Number Two: Up to episode 58, where he's replaced with Flavien.
- No Respect Guy: When he's not antagonizing the crew and tries to saved them, most of the time his heroics are ignored.Brad: "Hey! No fair! Why doesn't anyone believe me when I'm heroic?"
- Real Men Wear Pink: His dream was to become a ballet dancer. Oddly enough, his parents both wanted a girl and forced him to crossdress, but still wanted him to become a scientist instead.
- Screw The Rules I Have Connection: Used his father's ties with the federation to get on board, bribing and drugging other applicants and when discovered had the president of the federation forcing the Captain to take him. It backfires as what should have been a simple yet glorious mission took longer and he can't use his connection since they are too far from Earth to even communicate.
- The Smart Guy: He's the science officer aboard the Romano Fafard, and although he's lazy, cowardly, egotistic, lousy, etc., he's still the expert in his field.
- The Starscream: Brad is constantly scheming to overthrow the Captain. However, Failure Is the Only Option.
Played by: Isabelle Brossard (Season 1); Sylvie Moreau (Season 2 onwards)She is the ship psychologist and the Love Interest to the Captain. She has a tendency to speak in overly complicated psychobabble before repeating in in Layman's terms.
"I feel like I'm assisting to a nightmare, and I have front row tickets!" note
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Although she keeps an air of professionalism, she's jealous of women who get close to the ship.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: She made a soup out of Bob's jeans for some reason and the captain interrupts Serge's wake because she was the one making the sandwiches and there is no doctor on board now.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Has a tendency to speak like this occasionally.
- Team Mom: She acts as this to the rest of the crew.
- There Are No Therapists: Defied. She's the ship's psychologist, and often has therapies with the crew, which they try to avoid.
Played by: Didier LucienThe ship's pilot. He's a bit of a ditz who enjoys eating a lot, and he's the only pilot on Earth who can work the Romano Fafard's manual clutch.
"If the mission is over, that means... that the mission is over." note
- Ace Pilot: He's the only pilot on Earth who can drive the Romano Fafard's manual clutch-piloting.
- Bald of Awesome: Not a hair on his head - Except that one time he grew hair to try to impress Pétrolia.
- Big Eater: Bob will usually be the first of the crew to stop to eat. Gets him in trouble when he's captured and cloned.
- Book Dumb: He mentioned in the second movie that he never completed his high school.
- To wit, he has proven being incapable of spelling his own name ("B-a-u-b-e"), resigned himself from writing the word "Captain" with corndogs as a birthday gift to Patenaude because he was incapable of "making the H" with them, and somehow managed to misspell the personal pronoun "je" ("I" in English) using seven letters.
- Did Not Get the Girl: From the movies, it's presumed he and Petrolia didn't work out that well, since she's back with Flavien. And then there's the governor's messenger from the "Moisturizing face cream relieves dry skin" planet that he thinks wrote him a love letter. Turns out it's to warn him that their governor made an attempted suicide to blame the nearby pacifist planet in order to portray them as terrorists. Ultimately subverted with the messenger, as they appear to be together again at the end of the second movie.
- The Ditz: As the series progress his stupidity became his main trait.
- Genius Ditz: Implied, as he helped Flavien rebuild Serge after the latter was destroyed for the 2nd time.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: He goes through one after seeing his parents' ghosts.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Flavien, who has been his friend since they were children.
- Insistent Terminology: In the first movie: "Bob with hair".
- Nice Hat: His knit cap.
- No Indoor Voice: At times.Bob: [barges in the room] Captain! Captain!! CAPTAAAAIN!!!Patenaude: You know, Bob, when you yell at less than ten centimeters from my face... I HEAR YOU JUST FINE!Bob: Sorry...
- Parents in Distress: His parents are still on Earth, and he's with the crew to help find a new planet for Earthlings before everyone dies. Sadly, they died before the mission's end.
- Those Two Guys: With Flavien.
- Token Minority: He's the only black on the ship.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Pogos.
Played by: Claude LegaultThe ship's radar operator, communications specialist and second officer after episode 58. In the final episodes he was revealed to be a Half-Human Hybrid.
"I read a book on self-esteem, it's called "When there's a will, another can"." note
- The Ace: Not quite.
- Back from the Dead: At least three times.
- Broken Ace: He's part alien, which gives him Super Reflexes, sight and strength, but has a low self-esteem. He occasionally finds himself on the receiving end of Fantastic Racism, which doesn't make it easier.
- Chick Magnet: Both in space, and back when he was on Earth. This tends to cause problems for the crew, however.
- Grew a Spine: In the movies and last season, before he couldn't take decisions or stand up for himself.
- Half-Human Hybrid: He's part alien.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Bob, who has been his friend since they were children.
- Human Alien: Half alien, actually.
- Made of Iron: Due to Bizarre Alien Biology, what would normally be a fatal blow to a human doesn't kill him.
- Number Two: After episode 58 he replaces Brad as the second officer to Patenaude.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: When the crew is about to attack a planet to chase off its inhabitants, he refuses to participate and instead goes to the previous planet in search of their drone.
- Super Reflexes: Comes with being part alien.
- Those Two Guys: With Bob.
- Token Nonhuman: He's only half-alien, but still.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards the Captain.
Played by: Mélanie MaynardThe ship's medical officer and mechanic, she was part of a Love Triangle with Flavien and Bob. She eventually chose Flavien over Bob, but managed to stay in good friendly terms with him. She is Serge's creator, having made him with lawnmower parts.
- Aerith and Bob: On the same ship as Charles, Brad and Bob is Pétrolia.
- But Not Too Foreign: Due to her half-Canadian parentage (and her Russian father lived in Canada for a while). Otherwise she's as Russian as a borscht.
- Gadgeteer Genius: She's the ship mechanic and created Serge from lawnmower parts. And whenever Serge gets destroyed, she repairs him with whatever she has on hand - which once included a toaster for his head.
- Bungling Inventor: Unfortunately, most of her other inventions either don't work very well or don't work the way they were intended to, to Charles' annoyance.
- The Medic: As well as being the ship mechanic, she also serves as the ship's medical officer.
Played by: Réal BosséCreated by Pétrolia, Serge is an android and is the ship's defender. Originally looking much more human, as time passed he took more damage and Petrolia was forced to repair him with what she had on hand.
- Accidental Misnaming: Patenaude never gets his name right, usually referring to Buffy Speak to speak with, to or about him. In a heartwarming example, he finally gets his name right at the end of the second movie as they are about to leave the ship for good, and Serge hugs him in return.
- The Big Guy: He's the protector of the ship and the muscle of the crew.
- Sacrificial Lion: Parodied, as he's the one crew member that's most likely to die, only to get rebuilt not too long afterards.
- They Killed Kenny Again: He's been killed and rebuilt 18 times over the series and movies.