Characters: Dans une galaxie près de chez vous
Significant characters on Dans une galaxie près de chez vous
, and their associated tropes.
"If you lose hope, get out of your houses and look up to the starry night and remember the crew of the
Romano Fafard is there, looking for a new planet where we could all move, somewhere, in a galaxy near you. And amidst all the uncertainties that come with this mission, one fact is clear: we won't be back for supper." note
He is the ship’s captain and Valence’s love interest. Brave and fair, he always looks out for his crew. Famous for his bad speeches and proverbs.
- Badass Boast: When he's under the effect of a Truth Serum gas in the second movie and has had enough of Brad's threats and backstabbing, he lets one loose:
Patenaude: Brad, if you try something, I'll cut you into pieces, put you in the blender, push "smoothie"... and drink you.
- The Captain: He's the captain of the Romano Fafard.
- Determinator: He'll find the perfect uninhabited planet for the remaining Earthlings even if he has to personally scour the entire galaxy. When it's revealed that there is no uninhabited planet, he resolves to pass through a space-time breach to warn the Earth of 2008. Unable to pass through the rift in time, he still sends a video - which quickly becomes a ridiculed Internet Meme used as an ad by a petrol company.
- Fail O Sucky Name: When on "Moisturizing face cream relieves dry skin" (Which in itself is a Fail O Sucky Name, which he points out), the natives give the crew names like "Sparkling fox", "Magestic eagle" and "Immutable mountain". Patenaude gets Sonia Champoux.
- It Has Been an Honor: When the mission comes to an end at the end of the second movie, he says this to the rest of the crew before officially demobilizing them.
- Malaproper/Metaphorgotten: His speeches are rife with these. For example:
Patenaude: "Sow the wind and reap... corn and... potatoes." note
- The Insomniac: Since he became captain, Charles does not sleep anymore. This can cause problems, for example when the others have to anesthetize him.
- Pungeon Master: The captain wanted to become a humorist, but had to drop this idea since no one thinks his jokes are funny but himself.
- The Stoic: Remains calm and steady in the face of adversity. Also, when the ship rocks back and forth, he and Serge are the only ones who don't fall or stumble.
- Not So Stoic: However, he does lose his temper when annoyed, angry or experiences other strong emotions he tends to crack.
"Why is it that every time someone says my full name, I always feel like I'm about to get hit?" note
He is the scientist and hated by everyone else on the ship. He was second officer until episode 58. Brad is a liar, a manipulator, a dirty bastard; he is pretentious, coward, egoist, lazy, lousy, etc. His only known good trait is that he’s very clean.
- Karma Houdini: Despite everything he's done, the worst thing that probably happened to him was getting demoted from his post as second officer.
- Mr Seahorse: In the episode Maman Brad (Mommy Brad), Brad gets pregnant and has a baby alien. The baby, whom he named Jaqueline, was delivered though his nose.
Isabelle Brossard (Season 1); Sylvie Moreau (Season 2 onwards)
"I feel like I'm assisting to a nightmare, and I have front row tickets!" note
She is the ship psychologist and the Love Interest
to the Captain. She has a tendency to speak in overly complicated psychobabble before repeating in in Layman's terms.
The ship's pilot. He's a bit of a ditz
who enjoys eating a lot
, and he's the only pilot on Earth who can work the Romano Fafard
's manual clutch.
- Ace Pilot: He's the only pilot on Earth who can drive the Romano Fafard's manual clutch-piloting.
- Bald of Awesome: Not a hair on his head - Except that one time he grew hair to try to impress Pétrolia.
- Big Eater: Bob will usually be the first of the crew to stop to eat. Gets him in trouble when he's captured and cloned.
- Book Dumb: He mentioned in the second movie that he never completed his high school.
- Did Not Get the Girl: From the movies, it's presumed he and Petrolia didn't work out that well, since she's back with Flavien. And then there's the governor's messenger from the "Moisturizing face cream relieves dry skin" planet that he thinks wrote him a love letter. Turns out it's to warn him that their governor made an attempted suicide to blame the nearby pacifist planet in order to portray them as terrorists. Ultimately subverted with the messenger, as they appear to be together again at the end of the second movie.
"I read a book on self-esteem, it's called "When there's a will, another can"." note
The ship's radar operator, communications specialist and second officer after episode 58. In the final episodes he was revealed to be a Half-Human Hybrid
- The Ace: Not quite.
- Back from the Dead: At least three times.
- Broken Ace: He's part alien, which gives him Super Reflexes, sight and strength, but has a low self-esteem. He occasionally finds himself on the receiving end of Fantastic Racism, which doesn't make it easier.
- Half-Human Hybrid: He's part alien.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Bob, who has been his friend since they were children.
- Human Alien: Half alien, actually.
- Made of Iron: Due to Bizarre Alien Biology, what would normally be a fatal blow to a human doesn't kill him.
- Number Two: After episode 58 he replaces Brad as the second officer to Patenaude.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: When the crew is about to attack a planet to chase off its inhabitants, he refuses to participate and instead goes to the previous planet in search of their drone.
- Super Reflexes: Comes with being part alien.
- Those Two Guys: With Bob.
- Token Nonhuman: He's only half-alien, but still.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards the Captain.
Played by: Mélanie Maynard
The ship's medical officer and mechanic, she was part of a Love Triangle
with Flavien and Bob. She eventually chose Flavien over Bob, but managed to stay in good friendly terms with him. She is Serge's creator, having made him with lawnmower parts.
- Aerith and Bob: On the same ship as Charles, Brad and Bob is Pétrolia.
- Gadgeteer Genius: She's the ship mechanic and created Serge from lawnmower parts. And whenever Serge gets destroyed, she repairs him with whatever she has on hand - which once included a toaster for his head.
- The Medic: As well as being the ship mechanic, she also serves as the ship's medical officer.
Played by: Réal Bossé
Created by Pétrolia, Serge is an android and is the ship's defender. Originally looking much more human, as time passed he took more damage and Petrolia was forced to repair him with what she had on hand.
- Accidental Misnaming: Patenaude never gets his name right, usually referring to Buffy Speak to speak with, to or about him. In a heartwarming example, he finally gets his name right at the end of the second movie as they are about to leave the ship for good, and Serge hugs him in return.
- The Big Guy: He's the protector of the ship and the muscle of the crew.
- They Killed Kenny Again: He's been killed and rebuilt 18 times over the series and movies.