- Awesome Music:
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: Dominic Monaghan's Cameo as Oswald, wearing a geisha costume. And his weird sex bots. It doesn't make much sense even in the context of him working as a male entertainer.
- Critical Dissonance: The film was generally poorly received by critics, with a score of 13% on Rotten Tomatoes. Audiences are more on the mixed side, with a score of 50%.
- Ending Fatigue: Leo's whole motivation is to find Naadriah, but when he finds her dead, the film still has about a half hour left of running time.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Cactus and Duck stand out from the rest of the cast due to their Comedic Sociopathy and simply more interesting personalities when compared to a protagonist who cant even talk.
- Fight Scene Failure: Leo fighting his way through the guards at the club is...less than convincing.
- Gratuitous Special Effects: As impressive as it looks, the Cyberpunk setting has little effect on the plot, which couldve easily been a simple action-thriller without all the Scenery Porn.
- One-Scene Wonder: Sam Rockwell in a cameo as his character Sam Bell from the movie Moon when Leo and Cactus watch the news at the cafe.
- Paranoia Fuel: The premise of the movie is all about And I Must Scream given the fact Leo cannot communicate with people verbally due to his condition, only making his journey way harder than it needs to be. How would you feel if you lost someone important to you and wouldn't be able to call out their name?
- Also, how would you feel if you had a child and later found out your best friend is a pedophile who preys on little girls?
- Tear Jerker:
- Leo finding Naadirah's corpse and not being able to cry about it due to his condition.
- It's hard not to feel bad for Cactus given the fact he spends the last few minutes of his life with a knife lodged in his throat while thinking about how his daughter is now alone with a pedophile.
- Vanilla Protagonist: Leo has some decent Character Development and Alexander Skarsgård gives a spot-on performance, but his titular disadvantage prevents the audience from creating a bond with him by restricting them from his thoughts, especially since he doesn't use sign language or rarely attempts to communicate with people. As a result, many people find the way more exciting and vocal Cactus and Duck more memorable.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: Pretty much every critic agrees the movies cool futuristic visuals are the best thing (and in some reviews, the only good thing) about this movie, even rivaling that of Blade Runner 2049.
YMMV / Mute (2018)