Dominic Monaghan (/ˈdɒmɨnɨk ˈmɒnəhæn/; born 8 December 1976 in Berlin, Germany) is a German-English actor.
He has received international attention for playing the hobbit Meriadoc "Merry" Brandybuck in Peter Jackson's adaptation of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and for his role as Charlie Pace on the television show Lost.
Not related to Cameron Monaghan.
Film Roles on TV Tropes
- The Lord of the Rings (2001-2003) as Meriadoc Brandybuck
- I Sell the Dead (2008) as Arthur Blake
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) as Chris Bradley / Bolt
- Pet (2016) as Seth
- Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
- Lost (2004-2010) as Charlie Pace
- FlashForward (2009-2010) as Dr. Simon Campos
- The Legend of Vox Machina (2022) as Archibald Desnay
Tropes and trivia in his works
- Ability over Appearance: Charlie was originally written to be a jaded 40-something rock star. The Lost producers decided to change the character to a man in his twenties to accommodate Dominic.
- Acting for Two: Dominic subbed for Andy Serkis for one scene in which Gollum and Bilbo are on-screen together. It's the only time in the whole trilogy he shared a scene with Ian Holm.
- Fake American: As a New York cop in 100 Code and in Quantum Break.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: He has this relationship with Billy Boyd which mirrors that of their characters, Merry & Pippin.
- Romance on the Set: With Evangeline Lily.
- What Could Have Been:
- He auditioned for Frodo Baggins but ended up cast as Merry instead.
- He also auditioned for Sawyer on Lost before getting cast as Charlie.