- Ass Pull: Near the end of the film, when it looks like Mitch is dying from the sea urchin poison, Summer casually mentions that Mitch makes them carry antidote with them at all times. While it makes sense given Baywatch's Crazy-Prepared attitude, it seems odd that it was never mentioned before.
- Audience-Alienating Premise: Along with the double-edged sword that is making a 21 Jump Street-like Deconstructive Parody while still trying to appeal to the original's fans, there's the fact that the trailers clearly showed the movie was taken a Vulgar Humor route. This certainly drove away potential Baywatch viewers and made it tank in the domestic box office (while faring somewhat better internationally).
- Crazy Awesome: Seems to be what Baywatch has become under this version of Mitch. They take their jobs as the guardians of the beach very seriously and will do downright insane things in trying to keep it safe.
- Crosses the Line Twice: Mitch outright kills Victoria Leeds with a fireworks launcher. Then her dismembered foot lands inches away from Matt's face and Ronnie comments on how gruesome the sight is.
- Escapist Character: Ronnie, the fat dork who somehow manages to become one of Mitch's trainees, getting him plenty of chances to make an impression on CJ, who is way out of his league. And then they sleep together.
- Evil Is Sexy: The main antagonist, the evil Victoria Leeds, is just as insanely hot as any of the Baywatch girls. After all, she's played by the star of another gratuitously ridiculous action show.
- Fetish Retardant: Pamela Anderson's cameo was probably meant to be sexy, but her heavily botoxed face and peroxide hair are very off-putting.
- Harsher in Hindsight: It's probably for the best that then-Vine (now YouTube) star Logan Paul's cameo was deleted from the final cut, considering how he made himself internet public enemy number one at the very beginning of the next year.note
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- According to this interview, the entire characterization of Matt as a "disgraced Olympian" was written down long before the business about Ryan Lochte went public.
- Mitch is compared to both Batman and Superman. Dwayne Johnson is signed up for a role as Black Adam in the DC Extended Universe.
- Nausea Fuel: Ronnie's erection taking some serious punishment. There's also his hairy nipples (thankfully he shaves them) and the sight of him showering naked.
- Overshadowed by Controversy: While promoting the film in Berlin, Priyanka Chopra posted a pair of selfies from the Holocaust Memorial. Naturally, the Internet did not take kindly to it.
- The Scrappy: Early reviews, even positive reviews, have shown almost universal negativity towards Ronnie, stating that he is largely unnecessary and forced into the movie. Whether they find his jokes to be funny has been more mixed, however.
- Special Effects Failure: The fire in the boat rescue sequence is really, really not convincing.
- While hiding among dead bodies in the morgue, one starts to drip dissolved body fat on Matt.
- Matt vomiting in a swimming pool.
YMMV / Baywatch (2017)