The Stupor Salesman is a 1948 Looney Tunes short directed by Art Davis. The thuggish crook Slug McSlug, having just pulled a robbery, conceals himself in a secluded cabin. However, he didn't count on Daffy Duck as a travelling salesman who won't take "no" for an answer.
It was listed at #87 in The 100 Greatest Looney Tunes.
This cartoon provides examples of:
- Alliterative Name: The bandit is called Slug McSlug.
- Alliterative Title: "The Stupor Salesman".
- Ash Face: Daffy and the crook at the end. One of the things that Daffy tries to sell the guy ignites the stove's gas and blows up the house, leaving them both battered and covered in ash.
- A-Team Firing: Slug McSlug fires at Daffy with an automatic weapon twice without hitting him.
- Bag of Holding: Daffy carries quite a wide arrange of products in his tiny bag.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: Daffy thinks he sees Slug's eyes in a dark room. He turns on the lights, and it's actually his reflection in a mirror.
- Comically Missing the Point: It never dawns on Daffy that his potential client is an escaped convict, even when he tries to shoot him.
- The Determinator: Daffy. The crook can slam the door in his face, threaten him with all manner off violence, and so on and so forth, but he is not leaving until he makes a sale.
- Electric Joybuzzer: One of the products Daffy uses on the crook.
- Hard-to-Light Fire: Daffy tries to show off a lighter that supposedly lights with one flick, but no matter how hard he tries it won't light up. Eventually Slug tries it, but forgets that the gas was on and...
- Immune to Bullets: Bullets bounce of Daffy's chest, because he happens to wear a bullet proof vest.Daffy: Guaranteed to get your money back if it fails to work.
- Impact Silhouette: Daffy is thrown through the door, leaving a duck-shaped hole through it. Later on it happens two more times, leaving two more holes.
- Karma Houdini: The crook's house explodes in the end, but we never see him get caught for his crimes.
- Minimalist Cast: The entire cartoon is a showdown between Slug and Daffy.
- Neck Lift: the crook does it to Daffy so that he can sock him more easily.
- Police are Useless: The cops are shown dozing off while Slug commits his crimes. Even worse is the fact that they actually give Daffy a ride to Slug's hiding place, without knowing it.
- Stuff Blowing Up: After a gas explosion the entire house goes up in the air. Daffy is delighted:Daffy: [to the audience] I got him now! I got him now! [yelling up at the sky] HEY, BUB! YOU NEED A HOUSE TO GO WITH THIS DOORKNOB!
- Tempting Fate: After giving Slug some brass knuckles, Daffy says "Boy, I'd hate to be socked with those babies!" Which is exactly what Slug was planning to do with them.
- Toothy Bird: Daffy is shown with very visible teeth.
- Traveling Salesman: Daffy's role.