Softies is an episodic Sci-fi comedy webcomic. When the Earth just kind of explodes, the lone human survivor Kay becomes the world's youngest space debris. Adrift in the void, she's picked up by Arizona, an alien space-waste collector, and Euclid, his erudite pet. Together in a galaxy full of alien life, they get into stressful situations, tell jokes, and fall down sometimes.
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Aliens Speaking English: Kay is the only human in the setting and Earth is entirely unheard of by the broader universe, but everyone speaks in English (barring specific alien terms and Thestrich's use of "pardonnez").
- All There in the Manual: The Cast page has a bunch of info that isn't mentioned in the comic, such as each character's species and homeworld.
- Casual Interstellar Travel: Arizona is essentially an interstellar garbage man.
- Cats Hate Water: Scrabatha's mum warns Kay to keep it away from her.
- Cyborg: Euclid's brain is integrated with spaceship parts, which is why he knows so much.
- Identical Panel Gag: The Brick Joke variant shows up in "Who's Minding the Print?" when Arizona explains to Kay why they're called Hardies.
- Inexplicable Cultural Ties: Inevitable, given the variety of settings.
- Messy Hair: Kay is the only one in the main cast with regular hair, and it's about the size of the rest of her head.
- Monumental Damage: In the first episode, the characters dodge impact from the Eiffel Tower as it hurtles through space.
- No Seat Belts: The Stylish Carriage doesn't even have a chair for the driver.
- Painting the Medium: The text in Euclid's speech bubbles is in a unique font.
- Prophet Eyes: Characters like Scrabatha and Thestrich have no apparent pupils.
- Silent Scenery Panel: In "Twilight Revue" when Thestrich dares Kay not to talk for a minute, it's represented with an entire page of these.
- Team Pet: Euclid.
- Third Eye: Euclid, who is even called "The One With Three Eyes" by the Cast page.
- Unsound Effect: "High Five" and "High Five Again", among others.